Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:23 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,903,452 times

Advertisements

Yes it would in a big city. But a murder and a triple murder does not happen very often in Yankton or a city its size in this part of the nation. Sooner or later, the motive will be made known. For Yankton, this rare and very unfortunate.

To imply that the recent events happen all of the time is unfair for Yankton. For the 58 year-old murdering three people in their 20s, my guess is that the 58-year old snapped or had his share of issues.

Random stuff happens, but one should not live his or her life in complete paranoia. If one lives his or her life in paranoia due to a random event is perhaps lacking faith in the higher power (God).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 11:28 PM

10 posts, read 49,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Yes it would in a big city. But a murder and a triple murder does not happen very often in Yankton or a city its size in this part of the nation. Sooner or later, the motive will be made known. For Yankton, this rare and very unfortunate.

To imply that the recent events happen all of the time is unfair for Yankton. For the 58 year-old murdering three people in their 20s, my guess is that the 58-year old snapped or had his share of issues.

Random stuff happens, but one should not live his or her life in complete paranoia. If one lives his or her life in paranoia due to a random event is perhaps lacking faith in the higher power (God).
Please do not question my faith. Since I have lived parts of my life in "unsafe" neighborhoods I would not call myself paranoid, observant and prepared for the unexpected would describe me better. I have learned that bad things can happen ANYWHERE!!! I once lived in a part of Indiana that is more than twice the size of Yankton but with half the crime index. An entire family of six was slaughtered over drugs. I am not looking for the perfect neighborhood in the perfect town. I am looking for a place where the people are friendly and the probability of crime is low.

Yankton still sounds like an excellent place to live and work. My original question "where are the bad neighborhoods in Yankton?" was not an attempt to degrade the town of Yankton or South Dakota for that matter. Every place I have ever lived has had an area that you might not want to walk down at night without looking over your shoulder. I'm not saying the area is bad but it might get you to pay attention or pick up the pace a little. That was all I wanted to know about Yankton. Yankton has a LONG way to go to catch up to the crime rate where the wife and I live now. There is not enough time to even begin describing what we have seen here.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:41 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,395,203 times
Mark, I know the triple murder happened a day or two ago... What was the other murder you are referring to? It must've happened a while ago.
And I agree with the others about being an isolated incident. Definitely. I saw the news story on the various news sites, and I was in shock.
And I'm sorry about the religion incident. You will find Yankton to be a great town.... I really think so. Good Luck, Mike... and if you need anymore help, Let us know.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,903,452 times
A good chunk of the murders in South Dakota are due to people knowing each other and having grudges or domestic issues. The probability of a serial killer or someone killing another random person is low. Yes, I live in a town of 2,000 people and there was a murder a year ago and it rattled everyone's nerves, but it was a family dispute to make a long story short.

There is no "ghetto" or horrible parts of Yankton but you can tell what area is run down and which ones are average and very nice by driving around. The eastern part of Yankton is more industrial and may have some run-down areas, but these areas are not horrible by any means. Towards the older parts of the city, there are a few run down properties here and there, but the city by and large is clean and safe.

mike481, I apologize if I come off as questioning your faith. I did not intend to question one's faith. If I was in your shoes, I would think similar to you if I was looking to move to a community in your home state and want to know whether it is safe and which areas to avoid. The triple murder in Yankton or even in South Dakota's largest cities (Sioux Falls pop. 150,000 and Rapid City pop. 65,000) is rare. If something like that happend in South Dakota, others in here would be on the lookout. South Dakota is like a small town with a long main street in a general sense.

Yankton has many freindly, caring, and helpful people. I think you will be happy with Yankton.

mike481, have a safe and enjoyable trip to Yankton and I wish you well on your visit there. I hope that Yankton is a community that works out well for you.

Last edited by Chris19; 09-28-2008 at 11:57 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,633,675 times
Again a Murder is a rare thing in any of South Dakota. When you go years between homicides in a town. There is not much to worry about.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That was just horrifying and we just heard it on the news a few hours ago. Actually, I will still stick with my reply. It was a very isolated incident. I'm not sure what you're referring to be "a murder and a triple murder". What was the one about?

The last horrifying thing that came out of Yankton happened about 20 years ago or more. It was something nearly as awful as this.
This is the single murder I was refering to:

Police Make Arrest In Yankton Murder | KSFY.com - Your Source for News, Sports, Weather, and Community Events Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57104 | Weather (http://www.ksfy.com/weather/19191719.html - broken link)

"Police in Yankton have arrested Shane Michael Tweedy, age 28, of Crofton, Nebraska, in connection with the murder of 46-year-old Patrick Montgomery."

Artcle is dated May 22nd of this year.

Again, I don't want people to think I am putting down Yankton. I lived in an area of Indianapolis that probably had more crime than all of South Dakota put together. Worst case, I'll just look for myself next month when I fly out there.

Thanks
Mike

Old 09-29-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Again a Murder is a rare thing in any of South Dakota. When you go years between homicides in a town. There is not much to worry about.
Years between murders sounds great to me. Here in Bakersfield we can't go more than a couple weeks without a gang murder.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,395,203 times
Mike... You are fine... Don't apologize. I'm curious to see why this older man shot to death these younger people.
Are you flying into Sioux Falls, or a different city?

Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,633,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481 View Post
Years between murders sounds great to me. Here in Bakersfield we can't go more than a couple weeks without a gang murder.
A murder here is a great big deal. Doesn't matter if its Sioux Falls, Rapid or any other town. Its a big deal... Thank God they are rare.

Two years ago Pierre had two murders. After a 11 years with none. Then two in one year.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:18 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,353,441 times
I posted this in another thread, but speculation has it that the murders came about because of loud music. It seems that the suspect lived in the same apt. building as the victims did~or at least one or two of them. The young gal was engaged to one of the guys. SO, they were neighbors and may have had bad blood between them. At this point, they believe that loud music was the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota