Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:17 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times

Advertisements

My first couch, coffee and end tables, and entertainment center were both found at a garage sale. The couch was $38 and was in good condition and I got three years worth of use out of it. After I replaced the couch with a leather couch to match the recliner, I donated the couch to my church (which was used in the high school room). Next summer, I plan to look for decent bookshelves to replace the cheapy pressboard shelves.

I love to go to outlet/clearance stores, such as Furniture Outlets USA and Unclaimed Freight's clearance store. I found a nice couch and bedroom furniture at these places along with lamps that go with the furniture. Going for that contemporary/modern look. I found some very good deals when I was at the outlet mall in Castle Rock, CO. I wish that I bought a winter coat there. They were same coats sold at Scheels and Penneys but were lower in price. Maybe next time or I may stop at the outlet mall south of the Twin Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:58 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,450 times
I haven't gotten into the auction stuff, yet. I would like to someday!

I love antiquing, but haven't had the extra money in a few years...maybe soon!

I get a lot of deals at our new Goodwill...the old ones, not so much. Sometimes Target will send stuff there, though, so I keep watching! I have to be careful, though. There have been a few times when I have gotten something cheaper on Target's clearance than at Goodwill's price! LOL!

I am a sale shopper - I don't buy anything unless it's at least 50% off, usually more...I am a single mom, and my daughter's wardrobe is pretty much all from Gymboree (my favorite store!) anymore...other single mom's I know have asked me how I do it (for those of you not familiar, Gymboree is a fairly high end children's clothing store). I have learned their sales - they feature the same ones several times a year...they put out limited numbers of coupons in specific magazines or by mailer...so my favorite sale - Black Friday - they mark the ENTIRE store 30% off...doesn't sound like much, but that's off stuff that is already marked down, too (sometimes 30-60% already!), and I have a coupon for an extra 20% off...so I go in the night before the sale (Wed before Thanksgiving) and the sales staff lets me put what I want on hold - a benefit of getting in good with the staff! I get a lot of the stuff that has been marked way down already, then with their markdown on top of it, and my coupon, I spend less than I would at Wal-Mart! Last year, I got $550 worth of clothes for $75! Not bad at all, by my estimates! Then when she outgrows it, I can list it online, resell it, usually for more than I paid, and recycle the money into new clothes for her!

So yeah, you could call me a bargain shopper!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
or when The Western Mall, was the only mall!?!
We were the original mall rats!

Old 10-31-2008, 11:21 AM

77 posts, read 291,259 times
I have three answers, and in no particular order.

1) Best Buy
2) the Internet
3) Ernie November (although last time I was there the selection was less than I had remembered)

Old 11-01-2008, 01:31 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times
I enjoy Ernie November from time to time. and I agree the selection is limited... at least the last time I was there.

I don't like Best Buy.... Things I've read online... That, and I can find anything I need online.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! -Is an awesome site for any tech stuff!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:26 PM

29 posts, read 120,062 times
Trader Joes! I wish there was one in Rapid City. For now I have to shop there when I travel. I know I sound like lush when I say that their wine is both cheap and good!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
A person who I know is a big fan of Trader Joes. She likes visiting that store when she visits her son and daughter in Arizona. I should visit one sometime and see why people are ranting and raving about the store; the store is making me curious to a certain degree.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 AM

336 posts, read 575,247 times
I visisted Trader Joe's when I was in Seattle visiting my son. It was OK. Nothing special. I prefer Whole Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota