Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 03:33 PM

29 posts, read 120,062 times

Advertisements

I LOVE South Dakota, but I also really hate the cold and ice. I am a klutz and fall on ice almost every time I'm near it! I get hurt, torn rotator cuff, torn ham-string, etc. I don't want to wear shoes with kleats all winter long....and I don't like being cold either. I love (and miss) the beach. I'd love to grow hibiscus on my patio. I want to snowbird, but I don't know where to go. I lean towards FL since I have family there.

If you are a snowbird---or PLAN to snowbird---where is your favorite location and why? Do you think it is better to rent or own? If you rent, what do you do with your "stuff" when you leave? Any pointers for me--or others who are toying with the thought to flying south for the winter? Your input is greatly appreciated!
~ardsley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 08:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
HI Ardsley, AWWWW, a fellow winter hater. I share your thoughts of winter and snow and ice and I'm sorry to hear about the falls. That ice is pretty hard, isn't it?

We have actually been considering moving south. I'm not old enough to retire (or rich enough) so I need to live in one place to work. DH could get by with part time work since he is social security age. He's still at his same employer, but he would be able to leave since he's now 62. Our problem is we just can't find the right spot. Either there is no employment there or the cost of living is so high that we couldn't afford to live there. If it's neither of the above, the crime rate is shocking.

But back to your original questions~have you considered renting a furnished condo in Fla? I've often seen ads that say, "Just bring your toothbrush". I'm guessing you'd be driving down there so you could always pack your personal items and bring them back.

Honestly, the way things are going down there right now, I'd be uneasy about buying. Prices are dropping, but the insurance and HOA and CDD fees and taxes are really something. Unless one is very well off financially, IMHO renting would be the best option. Just my opinion.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 PM

29 posts, read 120,062 times
Thanks for the welcome on the other thread--happy to have found these boards.

My gosh the insurance and association fees are bad in FL...I'm thinking that rental property is the way to go. So many unknowns.

I vacation in the Orlando area often, also go to the Space Coast (Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach) too. We have a time share in Orlando, so it's been our vacation headquarters since about '91. Crime IS a very big problem and I think with the economy getting worse, it will continue to be bad.

I grew up in the New York City area, so I think I am pretty alert to dangers around me....but as I age, I also need to make sure I continue to be as safe as possible.

I've started a list of important items for my 'snowbird' home--while these requirements may not be important now, they will be some day.

-One story home or apartment with elevator
-Gated community with manned gate
-Can drive golf carts within the community
-Trip to grocery store, doctors, pharmacy requires ONLY right hand turns thus making a rectangle driving route
-Same driving route (right turns only) for going to the beach, making a LARGER rectangle.
-Part-time work available nearby, benefits/perks preferred. Disney looks good for that one perhaps?

Feel free to add to the list!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Yes, like you said~so many unknowns right now. I am somewhat familiar with Fla., too~the past Fla. and the present Fla. It has so many beautiful areas. We like St. Pete.

I read a lot of posts on here and used to moderate Fla. too before there were many more members and many more mods. It may be a good idea if you start a thread in Fla. (Orlando sub-forum) asking for input about working for Disney. OR you could check out the archives and do a search. I don't remember a lot of the particulars, but there have been threads about it in the past and some of the input wasn't too positive. It came from people who either worked there or had friends/relatives who did. It seems like the top dogs have a cushy life there, but not many others. Maybe that has changed, but I'd definitely ask about it. I do know someone who has older relatives (aunt and uncle, I'm thinking) that have spent several years working there and love it so there are probably two sides to the story.

Two of the members who frequent the So. Dak. forum live in Fla. now~Yamahastar and Blackhillsdreams. They could give you some insight on it, too.

Definitely let us know what you decide on. It'd be interesting to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota