Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:24 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times

Advertisements

PETA wants Spearfish High School name change | argusleader.com | Argus Leader

Isn't this unbelievable? I love animals just like the next guy, but this story made me laugh!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,664 times
Hahah, yea, I read this the other day as well, and I thought it was an early April Fools joke early......PETA is always doing crazy things like this, the argus leader version didn't have the other part that the Rapid City Journal had in there story about this, they said that Whitefish, MT had also received a letter like this as well......

Too Funny!

Here is a blog comment about it.
Madville Times: Sea Kitten Quote of the Day

Here is the Rapid version:
Rapid City Journal | News » Top | PETA petitions Spearfish school to change name to Sea Kitten High (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/01/07/news/top/doc496507e67d4c0852005061.txt - broken link)

Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 AM

189 posts, read 564,528 times
well,this could cause all kinds of comments pro and con! i live in spearfish, and have no objection to hunting and fishing respectfully for food. i live by the fish hatchery, and am told by workers ,there are animals that come out at night and kill fish and ducks....then there are dogs that kill things...and mtn lions kill deer and eat just the hip meat. i see such and it does make me sad. changing names does nothing for teaching respect. the young people for the most part do not watch out for pedestrians. i have nearly been knocked down many times by bike riders,skateboarders,joggers,cars,and more. very young people (under 16) can get driving licenses in some states in this part of country. and then of course there are careless adults. i dont want to be knocked down by anyone. respect needs to be taught and include all creation. there are monuments and signs in spearfish with a fish jumping out of water with a spear in it. i wish those signs would disappear. i cringe every time i see them. reminds me of cruelty of people not only to creatures but to humans. i cant say what the school name should be. up to students and voters. im just a caring old lady. sigh

Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 AM

112 posts, read 381,945 times
More from the Black Hills Pioneer regarding: SEA KITTENS

PETA seeks Spearfish High School name change
Mark Watson

Is it possible that Spearfish High School will be the next school with a name controversy?

The University of North Dakota has been in and out, but mostly in controversy over its Fighting Sioux nickname over the recent years. The school adopted the slogan in 1930.

PETA also sent a similar letter to Whitefish High School in Whitefish, Mont., requesting the same name change, according to PETA's blog.

Last edited by Jammie; 01-10-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: copyright issues~only a couple sentences and the link are allowed.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 AM

Here's the letter that was sent to the school: LETTER

Dear Principal Morford

I'm writing to you on behalf of PETA, the world's largest animal rights organization, with more than 2 million members and supporters. In early October, PETA launched its Sea Kitten campaign, which suggests a name-change for fish as a way to promote empathy for them and other marine animals. Today, we're proposing that Spearfish High School adopt a new name to reflect the gentle nature of its current marine namesake.

We're hoping that by calling fish "sea kittens," compassionate people who would never hurt a dog or a cat will realize that fish feel pain and fear, just like furry and winged animals do. In fact, neurobiologists tell us that fish have complex nervous systems that comprehend and respond to pain. Fish communicate and develop relationships with one another, show affection by gently rubbing against other fish, and even grieve when their companions die. However, when they are dragged from the ocean's depths, sea kittens undergo excruciating decompression, often causing their eyes to pop out and pushing their stomachs out through their mouths. When they are tossed onto ships' decks, many sea kittens slowly suffocate or are crushed to death. This is no way to treat a "kitten."

Most parents would never dream of spending a family weekend torturing kittens, but hooking fish through their mouths and pulling them through the water is just as painful as hooking a cat's mouth and dragging him or her behind a car. We're hoping that this name change will encourage people young and old to start treating these gentle "kittens of the sea" with respect�”and show them the kindness that they deserve.

We hope that Spearfish High School will start off the semester right by changing its name to Sea Kitten High School. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Dan Shannon

Assistant Director

Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 AM

Isn't this cute??? PETA // Save the Sea Kittens

Old 01-10-2009, 11:36 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
That's hilarious! I wouldn't eat a cat, but I still enjoy a catfish dinner now and then.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:56 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,450 times
These people drive me crazy in the biggest sense of the word! I have no problem with people who believe in a cause, but when you cross the line by hurting someone or causing property damage, well, that's just going too far. It's because of people like this that guys in my field can't do their jobs properly. It's pretty sad that some of my coworkers in wildlife management can't go to work without fearing for their safety or getting threats against their family's safety. If it was just stupid things like a school changing it's name, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it never stops there with these people! They might find that people would take them more seriously on LEGITIMATE issues if they would approach situtions with moderation!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:00 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times
Really, if they want to change the name of the high school, they should change the name of the city (Spearfish).
Jammie, what are your thoughts? I see you haven't commented
I know you are a vegetarian... I hope I didn't offend you!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:10 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Oh geez! This is just extremists getting bored. I wouldn't make a big thing over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota