Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:25 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times

Advertisements

You may be interested in nice smaller towns in South Dakota. If you like to hunt and fish I'd really look at Chamberlain, Mitchell, Winner, and Murdo. The Black Hills have lots of smaller towns to look at too. Hot Springs, Custer, Spearfish, and Hill City are all really nice slow-paced towns. The only thing is that you may not be used to small towns where EVERYBODY knows you and your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 PM

71 posts, read 199,002 times
I live in Chamberlain and it is a great area for hunting and fishing and is about halfway between both ends of the state where the largest cities are. People are very friendly and have a lot of fun. Lots of houses available and some acreages. There are part time or seasonal jobs available here. But there are a lot of nice small towns along the way. Check them out . I love Texas and want to move there sometime.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 PM

400 posts, read 1,237,994 times
I have lived in the eastern part of the state my whole life but did some serious looking into moving to the black hills. I would guess that if you love the outdoors, camping fishing hiking etc... the black hills would be the best place for you. If you're used to the cost of homes and living in DFW then the black hills wouldn't be shocking for you price wise. There are communities there that have the affordable to the extreme, but most should have something in your price range. I guarantee you that if you love the outdoors, the black hills will tug at your heart strings. It's phenomenally beautiful out there and there is lots to do regardless of the season. My family spent a week out there a few years ago and didn't want to come home. If you plan to visit in April, check with the High Country Ranch in Hill City (they have a website, just google it), that's where we stayed and a lifetime wouldn't have been long enough.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 PM

253 posts, read 805,382 times
Default mitchell to wall...uggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE WHISTLER View Post
Iwas thinking about anywhere from Mitchell to Wall,s.d.Lived here in the dallas most of my adult life and want to move to a nice and peaceful place,without crime etc.I am in my late 50's and just looking for something nice and simple but i am into out door activities.I drove thru s.d.many times and really loved,people were very kind and courteous.Rapid City looks to be very nice but is it too pricy?Dallas was s great city to live in back from the 60's to the 80's but it's too big for me now.
basically, unless you prefer the bare...farmlands/prairie....got to either S. Falls or Rapid. I live in rapid for most of 20 yrs, its pricey yes for the area...being we was military and know this...housing is high, especially rentals because rapid has this misguided idea that military make tons of money, and they know military get a off base housing allotment...but as most military know..it usually doesnt ever equal the true cost of living in a area. On that note thou.....ive got friends in TX, and the cost of living compared to dallas is heck of alot cheaper!!! the average 3 bd 2 bath rental, in a decent neighborhood will run you 800-900 mo.
ive been to S. falls alot, and thou it possiably has more jobs, its flat and bare to with no scenery, as well as rest of state until you hit rapid and the hills. ask anyone who makes that drive thru the state, and they usually say if they could do it with their eyes closed they would, its the longest boring drive of their lives, nothen to look at but prairie grass and bill boards...lol
rapid is a great city, not to big, not to small, it has all you need, and has tons of stuff to do withen the area and hills. if you truly love being outdoors, then rapid/blackhills will thrill you!!! the towns you mention are basicaly farm towns...wall being a tourist town...most have to go to rapid to shop, no walmart, no kmart...no nothing beyond drug store and some restuarants.
And hope you have a job lined up...US as you know, is bad for jobs right now, so unless you have one lined up up there, or are retired anddont need the money or can afford to work part time/seasonal, id be carefull just packing up and moving.
also coming from dallas...you will probably hate your first winter....lol, but summers are great...with aug usually the hottest, but still mild to TX.
if you have anyother questions, feel free to PM, ive lived in a few places beyond rapid, and might be able to help ya with questions ya have.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 10,214 times
If you wnat low crime, more outdoor activities (year round) than you could ever do, decent size town, plentiful jobs, good schools, 2 colleges, lots of city $$ going into improvements, then you should at least give Aberdeen a look!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:02 PM

400 posts, read 1,237,994 times
NO NO NO don't go to Aberdeen!!!

Lived there entirely too long - nothing to do.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 PM

444 posts, read 799,133 times
Don't let SweetLady scare you away. This really is a great state to live in. Of course there is alot of flat land here, we are a Plains state. But you can't get perfection everywhere. This summes has been gorgeous in terms of scenery. It has stayed green and plush. I would love to take a trip to the hills this year and see how that looks. I bet it's awesome. There hs been plenty of water in the river so boating and fishing has been great. It might now always be that way, but if you are flexible you will adapt just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota