Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 AM

692 posts, read 1,707,074 times

Advertisements

I live in North Carolina and unemployment was reported this morning at 11%. On the job search now for 6 months. Not discouraged yet...........possible move in my future to SD and very excited. Not only to get back to work, but to move back West. Can anyone tell me what it is like in Winner? The stats I have found so far are 6 months to 1 year old. Have looked at the Chambers website and like what i see so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 07:38 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,763 times
I work with 2 guys from Winner, a father and a son, the father worked as a janitor at a school for like 10 years I think he said, he got 1 pay raise of .15 in that time, he left making like $7 something and the job he works at now with me started at $10 in Sioux Falls,

Old 11-25-2009, 10:45 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadwoodJ View Post
I work with 2 guys from Winner, a father and a son, the father worked as a janitor at a school for like 10 years I think he said, he got 1 pay raise of .15 in that time, he left making like $7 something and the job he works at now with me started at $10 in Sioux Falls,
That's strange. I wonder if the Winner district doesn't contract out the cleaning services. I think that all the school districts in our state are unionized even for classified staff. That would mean a yearly raise. I'll bet that's the deal~he worked for a private cleaning company that had a contract with the district.

But your point is spot on, the larger cities, especially Sx. Falls, pay much higher wages then the small towns do. The rent is higher, but all in all, I think you turn out better in the end. Everything, other then rent, is usually more expensive in the small towns.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:09 AM

No, I'm pretty sure that he worked for the district, smaller districts may not have all workers unionized, I think only the teachers are for the vast majority but I may be wrong....

Old 11-25-2009, 12:01 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
glad to report the hospital in Rapid just restored wages - we got our 3% back!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That's strange. I wonder if the Winner district doesn't contract out the cleaning services. I think that all the school districts in our state are unionized even for classified staff. That would mean a yearly raise. I'll bet that's the deal~he worked for a private cleaning company that had a contract with the district.

But your point is spot on, the larger cities, especially Sx. Falls, pay much higher wages then the small towns do. The rent is higher, but all in all, I think you turn out better in the end. Everything, other then rent, is usually more expensive in the small towns.
I don't think any of the schools districts are unionized. I might be wrong. The teachers on on a contract.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:29 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,074 times
The job is Winner pays much more than that. I am excited to maybe getting ready for a move and new job.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
That is fabulous news!!!! Just in time for the holidays!

RJ, maybe Winner opted out of it, but I know that most of the schools are part of the national education association~the dreaded NEA. They also have an offshoot for classified staff and they have a bargaining committee that bargains for benefits, raises, wages, etc.

But like I said, it's possible that Winner doesn't join in on the fun.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 PM

451 posts, read 977,087 times
Default Wonderful News

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post

Hi Busy, that is wonderful news. Congrats and I'll bet long time coming!!

Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 AM

I thought that they returned all that stuff several months ago? I hear McKennan is giving back the full Paid Time Off allotment here at the end of the year, but nothing about pay returned...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota