Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM

46 posts, read 120,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
In regards to the terrible job situation within South Dakota and most of the USA: I know this may not be for everybody, but I can tell you from personal knowledge the Halliburton, Schlumberger, BJ Services, Sanjel, and Unit Petrol are all in desperate need of help right now. I live near Rapid City, but work in the oilfields in western ND and eastern MT. (In our line of work we go 2 weeks on, 1 week off, so I can live where I want.) Even inexperienced employees in the oilfield services make 50-75 thousand a year. Anyone on this forum that can handle a 2 on 1 off schedule, is willing to get a CDL, or if not willing-has a college degree, isn't afraid to get dirty and work outdoors, and likes $ and benefits can be immediately hired! I'm not kidding about this! There is still abundant, high paying work to be had in the Dakotas.
I could handle that schedule. What does the work involve? I'm working out doors now doing commercial construction. I have to think that working in mines and oilfields may be a bit more labor intensive.

If you have the time to sum up the different jobs, I'd be grateful. A PM or on the forum . I know I'd be more than willing to get a CDL.

With two weeks on, does that mean the company puts up it's employees wherever the job is? Or is there a commute involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 PM

75 posts, read 252,361 times
Here's a website with info on North Dakota oil field jobs, dated 1/1/2010.

Job Service North Dakota - News

Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 PM

608 posts, read 923,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickWins View Post
I could handle that schedule. What does the work involve? I'm working out doors now doing commercial construction. I have to think that working in mines and oilfields may be a bit more labor intensive.

If you have the time to sum up the different jobs, I'd be grateful. A PM or on the forum . I know I'd be more than willing to get a CDL.

With two weeks on, does that mean the company puts up it's employees wherever the job is? Or is there a commute involved?
When an employee is on duty, they are provided for by the company. I can see that there is considerable interest from a number of people on this forum, so from here on out just pm me if you have any other questions. I hope I'm not accidently advertising here but here I go...To start, check out Rigzone.com (they list nearly every opening on earth involved with oil and natural gas.) Also put a resume and profile on one of these websites: Halliburton.com (the largest oilfield services company on earth) Schlumberger.com (They are great for people with little or no experience, and boast a great safety and training record) Sanjel.com (this Canadian based company has a major presence in the Dakotas and Montana, and pays VERY well) As soon as you make a profile and send out a resume, call the branch/yard you are trying to work at and ensure that your info has gotten to a district manager, and make sure that they know you are interested. Keep calling them and push for an interview...DON'T wait for them to call you! Good luck to all that are looking, and know that there are many jobs out there, so don't give up easily.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:41 AM

46 posts, read 120,264 times
Thanks for the links fox, cat. Appreciate it.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 PM

451 posts, read 977,046 times
I know. It is me again. I hereby promise my questions will be a lot different than they are now once we move? Had one of those days, which occurred after another one of those days, and that one occurred after yet another one of those days. You get the deal; we have quite a pattern going.

The recession has hit AZ hard. There are a number of empty stores in this city that I live in and a lot of heartache frankly. Our unemployment rate is 9.1% and our housing values are going down by the day it seems. In fact, though some may not consider this optimal, I wonder if we won't wind up having to sell empty. We may do so as I have high regard for the few little brain cells that hold what remains of my sanity.

I know your unemployment rate is much lower than ours. I visited Rapid City in October and I have to give another compliment. The excellent upkeep of shops and utilization of what is perfectly well maintained is wonderful. The way the highways and streets are clear of graffiti and trash is super. I can't say enough good things. Yet, I know that your unemployment rate did go up a bit from all this. I also know there is no utopia and I understand that things are not rosy for all. I know many of you work more than one job. Again, kudos!!

Today I experienced a towing of my car when there was no reason to tow it. Chasing it down and forty dollars later, I got it back. DD gave her new dental info to the dentist office last week. I got a call later and they wanted to know her info (I was her phone # contact from college days). Thank heavens it was a subscriber # versus her social. But still, where did the original info go??? I am a little concerned as there is ID theft with insurance info as well. Then DH thought we would go to Home Depot and get two samples of paint (even after our preparing - there was a room color we questioned). The two colors were close. The person mixing the samples had paper samples and knew this. She did not write the color names on the can. I cannot make this up. It may seem petty and all this occurring on only one day like every two years and I would agree that ranting is not really in order. But, this is one day. I won't even go into Sunday or last week. It just isn't normal (IMHO) for this to go on and on and on.

So, I want to know how daily life is in SD. Can one just plan on visiting their DD and then hitting the grocery without chasing their car down for a while and getting disconcerting calls about info given just 4 days prior? Even with the recession does it seem like everyone is dealing okay??

Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 PM

142 posts, read 308,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJTucson View Post
I know. It is me again. I hereby promise my questions will be a lot different than they are now once we move? Had one of those days, which occurred after another one of those days, and that one occurred after yet another one of those days. You get the deal; we have quite a pattern going.

The recession has hit AZ hard. There are a number of empty stores in this city that I live in and a lot of heartache frankly. Our unemployment rate is 9.1% and our housing values are going down by the day it seems. In fact, though some may not consider this optimal, I wonder if we won't wind up having to sell empty. We may do so as I have high regard for the few little brain cells that hold what remains of my sanity.

I know your unemployment rate is much lower than ours. I visited Rapid City in October and I have to give another compliment. The excellent upkeep of shops and utilization of what is perfectly well maintained is wonderful. The way the highways and streets are clear of graffiti and trash is super. I can't say enough good things. Yet, I know that your unemployment rate did go up a bit from all this. I also know there is no utopia and I understand that things are not rosy for all. I know many of you work more than one job. Again, kudos!!

Today I experienced a towing of my car when there was no reason to tow it. Chasing it down and forty dollars later, I got it back. DD gave her new dental info to the dentist office last week. I got a call later and they wanted to know her info (I was her phone # contact from college days). Thank heavens it was a subscriber # versus her social. But still, where did the original info go??? I am a little concerned as there is ID theft with insurance info as well. Then DH thought we would go to Home Depot and get two samples of paint (even after our preparing - there was a room color we questioned). The two colors were close. The person mixing the samples had paper samples and knew this. She did not write the color names on the can. I cannot make this up. It may seem petty and all this occurring on only one day like every two years and I would agree that ranting is not really in order. But, this is one day. I won't even go into Sunday or last week. It just isn't normal (IMHO) for this to go on and on and on.

So, I want to know how daily life is in SD. Can one just plan on visiting their DD and then hitting the grocery without chasing their car down for a while and getting disconcerting calls about info given just 4 days prior? Even with the recession does it seem like everyone is dealing okay??
Sorry to hear you had a bad day, and I know it's easier said than done, but just hang in there a little longer. Overall, you'll be in an environment of more caring people in SD, although we still have some jerks too. The biggest time you'll need to ever worry about being towed is for snow removal, and if you familiarize yourself with the snow removal policies that should help with that. When it comes to scams, id theft, phishing, etc., well I'm afraid to say that will follow you anywhere you take a phone or email...but around here the threat isn't from local sources, but from other places. I feel like sometimes SD is a bigger target, due to the trusting nature of the citizens and it pains me to hear news stories every so often about trusting people being scammed, especially the elderly. Just use universal caution and don't give your info to anybody or tell the person you'll call them back or drop by their office to give info. Hope my post doesn't bum you out or anything--I can honestly say that I think your day to day life WILL be much better in SD!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 PM

412 posts, read 958,218 times
You'll have some bad experiences here, too. You can't get away from it altogether. But you'll probably have a lot less of them. Your car certainly won't be towed for no reason, though if you're blocking the snow plows or illegally parked you're fair game. People here do seem to be much more customer service oriented. I've gotten bad service in the 3 years I've been here, but I can count the number of times on one hand. In SoCal and in Arizona, it was pretty much the rule. I think people here 1) care more about doing a good job and 2) are more friendly to start with.

The recession certainly hasn't hit as hard here as it has elsewhere, but the job market has definitely tightened. IIRC, you're in health care, yes? I wouldn't think you'd have a hard time finding work.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Yes, it is true. There are good and bad people everywhere and good and bad days. However, this is insane. The towing is beyond unreal. I do agree though, if you block a plow that then there is a reason to tow. I think the whole deal that made it bad today is that the tow truck driver was trying to tell me that $40 was better than their normal $250 fee (the error was caught earlier rather than later). And yes, that is true. But I deserved $0 because it was in error. My sister said I should write a book. I know they'd put it in fiction even though truly it is non-fiction. Today, as you can tell was the last straw. In fact, when dealing with this whole mess DD told me I was "eerily calm". I said that is what I sound like when I have had it. I have great self-control as I know I'll get it out on the forum (yea forum) and poor DH (he felt this was nuts, too).

And yes, I am a registered nurse. Though, I don't take anything for granted, I am hoping you are correct as to not having too much of a problem. I have been looking and scoping out a few options. I think we've had enough and instead of trying to wait for the right time...we might just go for it. It is true that patience is a virtue. But perhaps a more assertive (as far as selling) approach is better advised.

Thanks so much for listening and commenting on my post. And no, I am not discouraged. In fact, I am pleased so far to see that no one had a match for what we're going through here (truly, it is not a contest one wants to win). I was really hoping that would be the case. I can tell you during our visit to Rapid City that we had no issues. Then again, that was 4 months ago and with the recession still chugging on...I just wanted to see what you felt the experience was in SD currently.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM

Default Rounding the same mountain, Day #5

Just got home. DD went to dentist. They still didn't have the right info. Wound up having to do another new account for her new insurance through work; 3rd time repeating this to one of the original offenders who has done who knows what with the info given to him last week. Now DD has to have another dental appointment due to this insanity as time alotted ran out.

Hubby went times two to the insurance agent regarding an error in billing. Now agent holding bill that was to be mailed. A bank representative made an error; supervisor now involved and for the fifth day on this confirmed we were given the wrong info. Do we get reimbursement for gas, calls, faxes(?)...not holding my breath. This was all due to an unauthorized debit.

Currently just got off phone with new bank. We plan to pull accounts and switch and move to another bank. We are keeping SD in mind when we switch. I know we're moving soon; however, it is now personal. At my limit of how much I am willing to let others make errors with our money. I'd bury it in the backyard if I felt safe (just kidding).

I predict we will sell empty; despite knowing that not everyone agrees this is the best. There are a variety of reasons for the thought. I can't believe it has been 8 months since I first saw the forum and I am still here. Status on brain cells; still holding on to remaining sanity.

Good news of the day; I did not have to chase my car. No one towed the wrong car today.

I am so glad that you all are not experiencing this, or at least this to this degree for so many days and weeks. It is beyond insane. Where has common sense and good business practice gone? I am so in need of some serious lake time and yes, I'll still sit there on that rock even if it is frozen over. Thank you again for the replies confirming that there (though not utopia) still are good places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota