Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,297 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking of teaching science in the 6th-12th grade range, but I was wondering if I could obtain a teaching license in SD with a bachelor's degree in the sciences? Or does the state absolutely require an education degree?

Update: I got that question answered. SD DOES have an alternative certification process, which looks to be manageable...next question: are science teachers in demand anywhere in the state?

Last edited by no8fann; 03-10-2009 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times
Sorry, I don't have a definite answer to your question. My understanding has always been that you need a degree in education in order to teach unless you're an instructor at one of the technical schools. Hopefully someone will come along who is more positive of their answer.

It MAY be possible that they would give you a certain amount of time to get the credentials you need and actually hire you to teach. You know, how some places let you work on your Master's Degree, but still hire you???

Strangely enough, my area isn't in need of science teachers. It kind of surprises me because science teachers and math teachers seemed to be in high demand a few years ago.

I hope things work out and let us know your findings.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:59 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,152 times
I really don't have an answer to your question either but maybe you could be a student teacher or an aide until you get your degree. Are there other states that you know of that don't require a teacher to have a degree?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,828,613 times
No8fann is correct, you don't need an education degree to teach in SD - if you have a Bachelor's there is an alternative certification process (not sure what that is, but pretty sure that it is still around unless there was a recent change in the past year/ two).

As for science teachers demand - I couldn't say, I live in Minnesota - but there is likely as good of a chance for a need in this area as any. If you're willing to apply out at some of the rural districts (can get remote and pay's a fair amount less) your chances will be a lot higher considering that you don't have the education degree. Or you could sign up as a sub in the Sioux Falls School District - I had some friends that used to fairly steadily get assignments this way, but I couldn't say what the potential for this is like nowadays. The other potential option would be to apply to Teach for America as Pine Ridge reservation is now one of their program's locations - this would be very remote, but there are a lot of incentives to working for Teach for America if you can get accepted into it.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
No8fann is correct, you don't need an education degree to teach in SD - if you have a Bachelor's there is an alternative certification process (not sure what that is, but pretty sure that it is still around unless there was a recent change in the past year/ two).

As for science teachers demand - I couldn't say, I live in Minnesota - but there is likely as good of a chance for a need in this area as any. If you're willing to apply out at some of the rural districts (can get remote and pay's a fair amount less) your chances will be a lot higher considering that you don't have the education degree. Or you could sign up as a sub in the Sioux Falls School District - I had some friends that used to fairly steadily get assignments this way, but I couldn't say what the potential for this is like nowadays. The other potential option would be to apply to Teach for America as Pine Ridge reservation is now one of their program's locations - this would be very remote, but there are a lot of incentives to working for Teach for America if you can get accepted into it.
Thank you - that is good information and definitely something I will look into!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota