Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:31 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

Great news! I have an interview over the phone with the company in Sioux Falls in the near future. If that goes well, then I guess I'll make the 14 hour drive for part deux!

I'll continue combing the forums, SD.gov, SD tourism, S.F.'s city website, Minnehaha Co.'s site, Downtown S.F. ...researching and trying to get a better feel for things. I've never even been to S.D., so you betcha if I get a job offer I'll have plenty of questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Great news! I have an interview over the phone with the company in Sioux Falls in the near future. If that goes well, then I guess I'll make the 14 hour drive for part deux!

I'll continue combing the forums, SD.gov, SD tourism, S.F.'s city website, Minnehaha Co.'s site, Downtown S.F. ...researching and trying to get a better feel for things. I've never even been to S.D., so you betcha if I get a job offer I'll have plenty of questions.
Excellent news! I wish you the best of luck!
Another website you can add is argusleader.com | Argus Leader | Sioux Falls news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Sioux Falls, South Dakota
It's the local newspaper website.
News, Weather and Sports for Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa and KSFY.com - Your Source for News, Sports, and Weather - Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57104 are 2 affiliates for local news.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 PM

I've actually found all three of those sites, but haven't thoroughly looked at them. I'll be sure to do that.

I'm just waitin', wishin', prayin'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I get of Sioux Falls is that is basically one big small town, with a silver lining. I'm guessing there is the laid-back attitude, cleanliness, and very low crime one would expect in a small town. But, the silver lining involves what is being done with redevelopment downtown; entertainment options are decent for a downtown its size, old warehouses are being converted into lofts, and more people are discovering downtown as the city continues to boom. In other words, there is a subtle urbanity that will continue to become less subtle as the city grows. Does that make sense?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:01 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I've actually found all three of those sites, but haven't thoroughly looked at them. I'll be sure to do that.

I'm just waitin', wishin', prayin'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I get of Sioux Falls is that is basically one big small town, with a silver lining. I'm guessing there is the laid-back attitude, cleanliness, and very low crime one would expect in a small town. But, the silver lining involves what is being done with redevelopment downtown; entertainment options are decent for a downtown its size, old warehouses are being converted into lofts, and more people are discovering downtown as the city continues to boom. In other words, there is a subtle urbanity that will continue to become less subtle as the city grows. Does that make sense?
I think you're right on target. Laid-back... Yes in a way. Sioux Falls is very clean. The crime is low as well. The downtown redevelopment is twofold. The first part is the revitalization of the Pettigrew Heights neighborhood. The area became dilapidated, and crime increased. They had a problem with "cruisers" on "the loop" aka 10th/11th streets in downtown. The city took a proactive approach, and increased police patrol, demolished old, condemned homes, and built new low-income housing. A city ordinance was put into effect for the "loop" traffic. This area is just west of downtown.
In all honesty, when I first moved down here, I was a bit scared to drive on "the loop". Now I'm not. It wasn't random gunfire or anything, but enough violence/crime/drunks to deter me.
The second part is the development of downtown itself. The Phillips Avenue area south of Falls Park is supposed to be developed with commercial, housing, etc. The downtown lofts are available, and they seem like a great alternative to the cookie-cutter apartment complexes around town. There's a ton of neat, mom & pop shops downtown, as well as bars and restaurants. The downtown area seems to come alive in the summer time.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:28 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,162 times
these peaple seem nce. Iam moving from texas and they been helping us alot

Old 04-06-2009, 12:39 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboatbill View Post
these peaple seem nce. Iam moving from texas and they been helping us alot
Um... you do realize that this thread is discussing Sioux Falls, right?
Didn't you say you are moving to Rapid City?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I think you're right on target. Laid-back... Yes in a way. Sioux Falls is very clean. The crime is low as well. The downtown redevelopment is twofold. The first part is the revitalization of the Pettigrew Heights neighborhood. The area became dilapidated, and crime increased. They had a problem with "cruisers" on "the loop" aka 10th/11th streets in downtown. The city took a proactive approach, and increased police patrol, demolished old, condemned homes, and built new low-income housing. A city ordinance was put into effect for the "loop" traffic. This area is just west of downtown.
In all honesty, when I first moved down here, I was a bit scared to drive on "the loop". Now I'm not. It wasn't random gunfire or anything, but enough violence/crime/drunks to deter me.
The second part is the development of downtown itself. The Phillips Avenue area south of Falls Park is supposed to be developed with commercial, housing, etc. The downtown lofts are available, and they seem like a great alternative to the cookie-cutter apartment complexes around town. There's a ton of neat, mom & pop shops downtown, as well as bars and restaurants. The downtown area seems to come alive in the summer time.
Any murder is one too many. However, Sioux Falls had only two murders in 2008. Compared to other towns of similar size back east (i.e.: Evansville, Dayton, Youngstown, Clarksville, Montgomery,) this is absolutely unreal! (Mean it in a good way, obviously. )

If I were to move to Sioux Falls, Downtown would be far and beyond anything else as my first choice. It does look like a place that is hoppin' during the summer (especially with the JazzFest,) I love the beautiful park, and there is a goal as outlined by the S.F. Planning Commission, if I'm not mistaken, to add 1,000 new residential units downtown. That would put downtown back on the map to vitality and even feed upon itself to open current businesses and bring in new ones that promote livability (i.e.: a Walmart Neighborhood Market, Sioux Falls' version of a bodega, something.)

Once again, I, like the OP, have been impressed with South Dakota and Sioux Falls. But as for the job, we'll just see what happens. Hope I get it!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 04-08-2009 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota