Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:25 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,730 times

Advertisements

We're planning a trip to South Dakota this summer (June).
We're ironing out our itinerary and are now looking to secure our campsite. We would like to camp in one of the campgrounds at Custer State Park.

Can anyone shed some light on which campground we should pick?

Based on availability, here are our options:
Game Lodge Campground
Grace Coolidge Campground
Stockade Lake North Campground

Our family has been camping before but the family we'll be traveling with has not. Aside from flush toilets and showers (which it looks like each of the campgrounds provide), we're really just looking for a comfy spot to set-up camp (tents). Out of these three, is one "better" than the other? More convenient? Any major differences to consider?

Also, here's our list of places we plan to visit. Have we pretty much covered the major tourist attractions? Any we just *have* to go to or places we just *have* to eat at?

*Jewel Cave
*Wind Cave
*Flintstone's Bedrock City
*Fort Hays Chuckwagon
*Mt. Rushmore
*Crazy Horse (plan to at the nearby Heritage Village Family Restaurant)
*Cosmos Mystery Area
*Bear Country USA
*Storybook Island
*Old MacDonald's Farm
*Wall Drug
*Badlands National Park
*Corn Palace
*Falls Park

Thank you SO much for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 03:38 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,263 times
mn-
bear country - plan plenty of time, kids will be hard to get out of there, it's really a great stop.
I would also add Reptile Gardens - it's near bear country and well worth the stop.

Hill City is beautiful and there's a little cafe there, not sure what it's called but food is fantastic. It's a tiny little place with old fashioned booths, kids can get milk shakes.

If you're stopping at Falls Park in Sioux Falls, the downtown sculpture walk is pretty cool and very close - you could even take the trolley.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Good suggestions, Snowbird. I love the Phillips to the Falls walk. It's really neat.

MN, it looks like you have things planned out very well. Something that I'd add is a trip through Spearfish Canyon. It's just so beautiful.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep 'em comin'!!!

SD Snowbird, we were thinking 2 hours at Bear Country...is that sufficient?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:31 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Looks like you have it all mapped out very neatly! I hope you have a great trip and don't forget to eat at The Alpine in Hill City. It's great for lunch and the steaks are fantastic at dinner! Have fun!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times
I agree with the Spearfish Canyon comment. We played a wedding up there in the fall a couple of years ago. Amazing. But it is best in the fall I guess.

You may find yourself a tad underwhelmed with the Corn Palace.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,191 times
MN, I can't help very much with the Black Hills stuff, but I do recommend Falls Park. As Snowbird said, the sculpture walk is downtown too. It sounds like Sioux Falls will just be a quick stop, otherwise I throw in a few other ideas :P. I'm sure you'll have a great time in the Black Hills!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
You may find yourself a tad underwhelmed with the Corn Palace.
Hey, easy now, I look at the Corn Palace everyday out my office window. One thing it's got going for it is that it is, by golly, the only one around!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
Hey, easy now, I look at the Corn Palace everyday out my office window. One thing it's got going for it is that it is, by golly, the only one around!
I tease about that all the time. I guess living close to it I don't really see how people come from all over to see it. That said, we have seen some pretty good shows over the years during the festival.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 PM

My husband said the same thing about the Corn Palace...but we're hoping the kids will all be amazed at a...well, Corn Palace.

Yes, MJ1986, Sioux Falls is our last stop so we just planned on grabbing a bite to eat and checking out Falls Park. A trolley ride sounds fun and we will have enough time to play with by that time that we can explore it briefly. Most likely we'll all be tuckered out by then though. Any recommendations for dinner spots in that area? The budget friendlier and "homegrown" the better.

Any thoughts on the campgrounds??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota