Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,786 times

Advertisements

hi agian. my kids might be going to central high in rapid city can anyone tell me about this school? Iam sure your worst school is better than our best. .ps my kids want to know what kind of stuff is there to do during the summer break. thanks again. cathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 03:37 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboatbill View Post
hi agian. my kids might be going to central high in rapid city can anyone tell me about this school? Iam sure your worst school is better than our best. .ps my kids want to know what kind of stuff is there to do during the summer break. thanks again. cathy
Summer break in the Black Hills? (Almost) every East River kid's dream!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
It does quite well. Had all my brothers and sister graduated there years ago. I had a niece and nephew graduate there. Both niece and nephew went to SDSU afterwords. Nephew had his degree and niece is well on to her degree in nursing.

It is a decent school. No idea how test scores stack up.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboatbill View Post
I can't comment on the schools in Rapid City, since I'm not familiar with them. If they are like any of the schools here in Sioux Falls, I wouldn't have any worries at all! South Dakota is basically void of ghettos, and the like. Schools have genuine teachers who care about their students.

For summer break, there are probably sports leagues, swimming lessons, etc.

Sorry I can't help you more. I'm on the opposite side of the state.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 PM

86 posts, read 270,434 times
Central is a pretty decent school and has the highest enrollment in the state. They are currently talking about expanding.

Expansion Plans

However, since Rapid City has open enrollment, you could send them to Stevens! (I'm an alum)

The rivalry is pretty strong, which makes basketball and football games exciting to go to.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:24 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,711 times
the school is overcrowded, there are security guards on staff. That's about all I can tell you.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Like Ashnat said, it's very overcrowded. The administrations building says they need an expansion but in reality, Central HS needs the expansion. However, it is the largest school in South Dakota so it has most every resource you can think of. The arts system is fantastic too. They put on some great shows and plays.

Things to do in the Black Hills during the summer, you ask? Haha! I'd go on but this thread wouldn't end!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM

86 posts, read 270,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
the school is overcrowded, there are security guards on staff. That's about all I can tell you.

Most high schools these days have security guards..

Old 05-18-2009, 11:15 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo View Post
Most high schools these days have security guards..
Are you kidding? Most LARGE high schools have security guards. I'll bet my fruit of the looms 9 out of 10 high schools rated below the AA sports ranking (school population of approx. 600+) in SD have never seen a security guard. This includes nearly all the schools except the top 17 in enrollment. The only exception might be some reservation schools.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Central HS has something like 4,200 students so I hope they have a security guard or two! Stevens has something like 2,000 and even they have security guards. My high school didn't have any but Saint Thomas More HS only has about 400 kids.

Central HS's student-teacher ratio is about 23:1 and the most complaints I hear about the school is the overcrowding and how the athletics department is hard to get into. I've heard that CHS was built for 2,500 students and now they're at 4,200. They have expansion plans though.

Pages - default
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota