Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 12:31 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,522 times

Advertisements

Being the road/transportation geek that I am found a new document concerning the I-29/85th area in Sioux Falls.

This document (It is a large PDF file [Adobe]) was recently submitted to the Federal Highway Administration:
http://www.sddot.com/PE/projdev/docs...09_Reduced.pdf

It includes a comprehensive study by the URS Corporation for the I-29/I-229/69th/85th area.

Right now, a few intersections in SW SF are operating at LOS (Level of Service) E/F (congested), according to the study.

By 2033 (25 years), almost all of the major/minor intersections in SW SF are operating at LOS E/F.

Even if they build the new interchange at 85th, and make 69th/Solberg/Tallgrass all connect, the intersections are still majorly congested, according to this study by URS.

The city may be putting concrete medians in, and limiting access points... but are they setting aside enough right of way for future expansions?
From what I see, No.. Growth is rapid... but you need to plan far ahead.

The SDDOT is finally recognizing "corridor preservation"... If only they would have done this years back, maybe SF wouldn't be the congested mess it is?

I do not have an engineering degree or urban planning degree... I may change my major tho .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 01:31 AM

106 posts, read 344,210 times
This comes to late, this should have been done a few years ago in my opinion. Poor planning, poor zoning, terrible 'city' planning i should say instead. But oh well.

I hope they start construction on this next year, it is really needed especially if Sanford decides to actually start construction on the research park (how likely is that?). One thing I have noticed is that Sanford always comes out with these big plans and such, but still has yet to fulfill them. But thats for a different subject.

I like the plans with the auxillary lanes, it would help traffic flow much better.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdflyer View Post
This comes to late, this should have been done a few years ago in my opinion. Poor planning, poor zoning, terrible 'city' planning i should say instead. But oh well.

I hope they start construction on this next year, it is really needed especially if Sanford decides to actually start construction on the research park (how likely is that?). One thing I have noticed is that Sanford always comes out with these big plans and such, but still has yet to fulfill them. But thats for a different subject.

I like the plans with the auxillary lanes, it would help traffic flow much better.
The 85th/I-29 project I can't blame on poor planning.

The 29/229 interchange was built/planned in the 60's.
The growth we've seen wasn't anticipated.

The bad planning is the 57th/69th/I-29 area.

The city built up development to these corridors, as well as others (city).

It's also the SDDOT's fault for not "preserving" these corridors.

As for the city of SF... I could write a book.

The most important thing: Coordinate and Plan.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:13 AM

11 posts, read 23,123 times
What blew them out of the water was the Sanford research complex and related retail.
I understand there were special "oh crap" meetings when they realized the traffic impact.
Still, it's a good thing.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 15,886 times
MJ I think that you are a little hard on the DOT and City planners. Unfortunately, money and politics play a big part in the decisions or lack of decisions being made. Growth isn't always easy to predict as the property owner ultimately decides how and when a property will be developed. There is always the cost, time, and other difficulties with acquiring right of way. There will be an interchange at 85th, but it will take some time. As you mentioned, the real problem is with the design of the I229/I29 interchange which prevented or at least limited the possibility of an interchange at 57th or 69th St.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIA View Post
MJ I think that you are a little hard on the DOT and City planners. Unfortunately, money and politics play a big part in the decisions or lack of decisions being made. Growth isn't always easy to predict as the property owner ultimately decides how and when a property will be developed. There is always the cost, time, and other difficulties with acquiring right of way. There will be an interchange at 85th, but it will take some time. As you mentioned, the real problem is with the design of the I229/I29 interchange which prevented or at least limited the possibility of an interchange at 57th or 69th St.
True, I agree. You can't fix the past. An interchange at 57th is possible, and needed. I've reviewed the DOT documents posted online.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,312 times
MJ1986, very good topic. I use the I-29 stretch being mentioned often and that stretch (as mentioned in other threads) is rough and needs to be updated in a bad way.

I agree that there were things that Sioux Falls and the state could have done better in the past, with 57th St. overpass being one of them (it should have been an exit, even a partial one or partial cloverleaf to save space on ramps.

I have not looked too far into the document but I do like the mention of auxillary lanes but think that the I-29/I-229 interchange will need to get refigured sooner or later (sooner the better).

The east side commericial area (Dawley Farm, etc.) is better laid out and will have more options for traffic disbursement than the Empire when the commercial area really takes off within the next few years, likely when the national economy gets up and going again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
View detailed profiles of: