Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:23 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,353,441 times

Advertisements

Ashnat, I'm glad you mentioned that license plates were increasing. I didn't realize that, but I have heard that driver's licenses are going up in price, too. Actually though, we were ridiculously cheap compared to many states so I can't really complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM

451 posts, read 975,190 times
Great information on the property taxes. Nice to see the added info on license renewals. You really have our state beat . I am wondering how car insurance rates compare. We pay about $800 every six months for two cars (total coverage) that are around ten years old. It has been said that we pay that much because we have 49% of our population without any coverage whatsoever (sadly true info - this was info obtained by a reputable source). Anyway, our agent says that when we move to SD we should see a drop in price by about 50%. That would be fantastic ! I am wondering if this seems correct. Also, we have had no accidents, no parking tickets and no speeding tickets - so our coverage rate is one of the best rates as we are considered excellent drivers. We also have our home insurance with them - so there is a discount as well.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,677,686 times
AJ, my insurance is high because I'm a 20 year old male with a less than squeaky clean record and I live in a city where, like you, 50% of drivers are supposedly uninsured. Just liability for me runs about $100 per month however it has been going down recently.

My mom however, only pays $75 per month for full coverage on two cars and that includes a life insurance policy she also has through the company.

I thought I paid a high fee until I looked at how much it's going to cost me to insure a car in the Twin Cities and it almost TRIPLED!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Danny - thanks a lot for the information. Sounds like our agent was right as we should be somewhat close (I presume) to your mom's rates.

Just a question. I believe you are in Rapid City, so when you say 50% are uninsured, that means RC (see how quick I am ?). Anyway, I know why we have the drivers (and thus, uninsured issue) we do in AZ, but I don't get why it seems similar with SD, particularly RC? Any ideas?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:17 PM

AJ, I'm not sure that your insurance will drop in half. We are very similar to you and we pay between 500 and 600 per year for two vehicles. I can't remember the exact amount right now, but I know it's over 500.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM

Hi Jammie. Just to make sure I am reading you correctly. You said you pay between $500-600 per year for two vehicles (so that is your price altogether? annually?)!!! OMG - I would love that. We are paying $800 per six months or $1600 per year here (total for two vehicles). If I have this right - then we would drop our insurance rates in more than half. That is so very exciting!! Thanks to you for the info!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,677,686 times
AJ, that's what my insurance agent told me. Apparently rates are higher in Rapid City than they are in the surrounding area because about half of the drivers are uninsured. I don't know if Sioux Falls is the same way or not. Of course, insurance in a city is always higher than if your lived in a rural area because your chance for an accident is higher too.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:44 PM

AJ, that is correct. I think I"m the one who misunderstood you. I thought you meant yours were about 800 per year and not every six months. That's a LOT!!!

And yes, you understood what I was saying. Yours could be a bit more since you will be living in a larger city then I do. We also have other things with ours so we get a sort of combo discount. But I believe that your original info was correct and you probably will be paying about half of what you are paying currently.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:55 PM

42 posts, read 135,232 times
The houses we were looking at this last weekend were 1.5 times the assessed value as our house in Rochester NY and our taxes here were double what we'd pay on most of the places we looked at and we live is a highly commercialized area that keeps taxes relatively low by taxing all the retail businesses. As far as I'm concerned South Dakota is a tax free wonderland (FYI total sales tax between county and state where I live is over 8%... and don't even get me started on New York state income tax, when the feds give you money back but you owe the state, something is seriously wrong...). Sorry rant off, not going to miss the taxes in Screw York!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:43 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,395,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman66 View Post
The houses we were looking at this last weekend were 1.5 times the assessed value as our house in Rochester NY and our taxes here were double what we'd pay on most of the places we looked at and we live is a highly commercialized area that keeps taxes relatively low by taxing all the retail businesses. As far as I'm concerned South Dakota is a tax free wonderland (FYI total sales tax between county and state where I live is over 8%... and don't even get me started on New York state income tax, when the feds give you money back but you owe the state, something is seriously wrong...). Sorry rant off, not going to miss the taxes in Screw York!
We love the rant offs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota