Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:20 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,108 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my family is going camping in South Dakota, and I am really looking forward to it. About once every summer, we go on a really fun camping vacation.

But, there is one problem, I hate snakes and big nasty bugs (spiders, centipedes...). When I say that I hate snakes, I am not joking at all. I am terrified of them. Literally, just the sight of one will freak me out. Like at the zoo in St. Louis, I didn't go in the reptile house because of the snakes, even though they are behind glass. Also, I never really was all that afraid of most bugs, but in the last few years, I really have developed a fear of most of them, mainly spiders, centipedes, worms, and any bugs bigger than a quarter. I know this sounds wimpy, but I don't want bugs to ruin my time.

So, a few questions. What kind of bugs do you have in South Dakota? Which ones are the most common? Where are they concentrated? Which ones can hurt me? Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 04:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
We have actually have a snake thread going and if you read it, you can see I have those same feelings about them.

If you plan on staying in regular campsites and not just parking off the beaten path, you should be fine. I've lived here my entire life and rarely see them. Our only poisonous snake is the rattlesnake and they are West River, but again~you shouldn't encounter one.

For bugs~mosquitoes, flies, gnats, and box elder are a few just off the top of my head. You may want to lotion yourself with clear baby oil several times before you visit. It's greasy so you'll want to shower it off after a couple hours. I've always done that and bugs don't like me. While you're here, just use regular lotion on your arms and legs and you shouldn't be one of their targets.

I'm not sure, but I would think you have more snakes and bugs down there then we have here so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for you. But I do understand. You live in a house/apartment there and will be in a camper or tent up here.

Have fun camping!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:52 PM

43 posts, read 121,720 times
There is nothing in SD that is not in St. Louis (that I know of). If you wouldn't camp there then don't plan on camping here - pretty much the same issues with bugs and snakes.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Ok, so my family is going camping in South Dakota, and I am really looking forward to it. About once every summer, we go on a really fun camping vacation.

But, there is one problem, I hate snakes and big nasty bugs (spiders, centipedes...). When I say that I hate snakes, I am not joking at all. I am terrified of them. Literally, just the sight of one will freak me out. Like at the zoo in St. Louis, I didn't go in the reptile house because of the snakes, even though they are behind glass. Also, I never really was all that afraid of most bugs, but in the last few years, I really have developed a fear of most of them, mainly spiders, centipedes, worms, and any bugs bigger than a quarter. I know this sounds wimpy, but I don't want bugs to ruin my time.

So, a few questions. What kind of bugs do you have in South Dakota? Which ones are the most common? Where are they concentrated? Which ones can hurt me? Thanks in advance for the help.
Don't feel bad... I have a huge ant phobia. Other bugs/spiders and even snakes really don't bother me, but ants.. YUCK...

I think you'll be fine. The main bug to worry about is the mosquito.

Where are you camping at?

I go camping a lot (in eastern SD), and have never seen a snake.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:00 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
Get a mosquito hat.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the answers, and support.
But, be real honest with me on this question... We will be camping in Custer State Park for two nights in late July/early August. What are the chances that I see a snake, poisonous or not? Just be brutally honest.

Last edited by aaronstlcards; 07-18-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 08:54 PM

43 posts, read 121,720 times
Of course you could see a snake (or bugs)!

When I said there was nothing in SD that is not in St. L I was talking about nasty s&b's. In Custer SP, there are mountain lions, wild burros and buffalo. All potentially deadly.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:30 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
You probably won't see any snakes in CSP. They tend to stay on the prairies and Black Hills soil is too rocky for them. I'd so the most of your worries will be mosquitoes. Use bugspray or stay around smokers. My mom smokes and bugs never bother her!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
You probably won't see any snakes in CSP. They tend to stay on the prairies and Black Hills soil is too rocky for them. I'd so the most of your worries will be mosquitoes. Use bugspray or stay around smokers. My mom smokes and bugs never bother her!
Ok so me and Danny's Mom will protect you.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Ok so me and Danny's Mom will protect you.
Oh, I appreciate the help .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota