Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times

Advertisements

RJL, that's cute. You mean you're the cowboy type?

AJ, I didn't realize you and your family were originally Midwestern. That explains it What state were you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:41 PM

451 posts, read 976,929 times
Hi - well, we were both born and raised in WI . Transfer brought us to this place . So, we have a good mix of western and midwestern influences. Thought of you good people today as I drove down trash street (name applies to many streets). Geez, we have a lot (a whole lot) of empty store fronts and offices. It seems that they just empty and here comes the tagging committee. I know times are very hard, I do get that. But why on earth would people want to make a bad situation worse ? I am again so relieved that even though you have higher unemployment numbers than usual, that good common decency prevails and destruction of property (personal and business) hasn't hit SF or RC.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
RJL, that's cute. You mean you're the cowboy type?
Slightly. My comfortable shoes are boots. Chased plenty of cows, fed plenty of cows.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:43 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
Yeah Jammie, I'm not the cowboy type at all. In fact, when I tell people I'm from Western SD they ask if I live on a ranch. I say, "No, surprisingly I live in the only city in the whole area." I guess I'm a city kid from the boonies!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,299 times
Danny, you sound like me... Although I did originally grow up on a farm.. until I was in 7th grade, then my parents moved into town... I loved the farm when I was really young...but growing up...it just wasn't my thing.
My dad did make some nice $$$ on the farm! He knew how to do it, and he did it right.

Driving a tractor is kinda fun though... Just get one with a cab & A/C... a good radio/CD player.. and one that is "auto"...

I hated driving them on roads though... In the field, no problem...

Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Danny, you sound like me... Although I did originally grow up on a farm.. until I was in 7th grade, then my parents moved into town... I loved the farm when I was really young...but growing up...it just wasn't my thing.
My dad did make some nice $$$ on the farm! He knew how to do it, and he did it right.

Driving a tractor is kinda fun though... Just get one with a cab & A/C... a good radio/CD player.. and one that is "auto"...

I hated driving them on roads though... In the field, no problem...

OFF TOPIC ALEART!

NO! No radios in tractors no air conditioning none of that. Its just not the same, running down the field stacking hay with tailwind.

Now I admit I liked the air conditioning and suspension seat. That was best, riding on a big green tractor. I miss those days. It is something I am really missing this summer. Its been 10 years since I worked in a hay field.

The sound of a 4020 working under a load, or a making hay with a 4240...

I moved away. I would love to head out and cut a field again.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,493,535 times
Talking Hey, RJ.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
OFF TOPIC ALEART!

NO! No radios in tractors no air conditioning none of that. Its just not the same, running down the field stacking hay with tailwind.

Now I admit I liked the air conditioning and suspension seat. That was best, riding on a big green tractor. I miss those days. It is something I am really missing this summer. Its been 10 years since I worked in a hay field.

The sound of a 4020 working under a load, or a making hay with a 4240...

I moved away. I would love to head out and cut a field again.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Thank you Debey. In fact this weekend I did snap a picture with the crackberry camera of the Old 4020. Lots of memories there.

I would rep you for that, however I must spread the love.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Debey, you made me nostalgic now. Farm girl here. Well, not anymore, but I grew up on the farm in the mid 50s and 60s and early 70s. Things weren't too modern at the time~not for us anyway. We had a team of horses and so did our neighbors. We shocked bundles, thrashed, hauled bales by hand, etc. We had no loader, no AC, no cabs on the tractors, etc. We had to help out picking corn by doing it by hand and picking up the ends. My parents were old school and when you hit 5 years old, it was time to work.

We milked cows by hand, of course. It was a LOT of work, but it was a good life. Would I go back to it? Not a chance.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Graffitti, as the song says, is when I painted my girlfriends name on the water tower. But then I had to paint over it when I got caught.

Believe me, there were a lot less bottles of courage during the repainting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota