Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 PM

30 posts, read 124,668 times

Advertisements

hey, i've been looking online for a skydiving facility in the western part of south dakota and coming up empty handed. the only major site that continuously comes up is an agency with skydiving facilities around the US and the one here has gone out of business. anyone know anything about where my friends and i can do first time tandem jumps not too far from Rapid City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
A friend of mine went skydiving recently. I believe she had to go to Colorado. I doubt there are any skydiving agencies here, because if there was I may have done it!!! I've always wanted to face my fear of heights!

Another feature in Colorado is paragliding. I guess you can actually "surf" up and down the Front Range because the winds out of the mountains do something to where there is a strong air current that flows north to south. I can't remember what program I was watching but they were talking about how people can be up in the air for hours just sailing up and down the Front Range. I'll have to look it up.

MILE-HI SKYDIVING
Skydive Colorado

Old 08-10-2009, 04:50 PM

30 posts, read 124,668 times
yeh i was debating colorado or montana. there are two places here, one in hot springs and one in sioux falls, but the one in hot springs is 250 a person with a weight limit that excludes some friends i was hoping to bring with me. also the price cuts out a few others *sigh*

Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
I'd go for Colorado. It's a pretty quick drive from Rapid City and it'd be really cool to skydive along the Front Range!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i am sorry to hear "pierre's blind drunk jump" has gone out of biz.
i had a few problems but overall they were pretty good.
signed
flat freddy

Old 08-10-2009, 06:28 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Call Westjet and ask to talk to the chief pilot, an instructor or a charter pilot. I'll bet someone knows where you can get good skydiving instruction in the Hills.

I no longer fly, but I used to be an airport bum in Gillette and knew a few very good skydivers at the time -- world championship competitors. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that some of them were from the Hills area. This was 10-15 years ago, and I know you could take lessons here then. Since I've become an inactive pilot I've lost track of them, but I'll bet there are some active skydiving clubs or schools in the area.

If you can't find anyone at Westjet who can give you an answer, call Dave or Rich, EAA Chapter Presidents from Rapid City and Spearfish.

If you try these and still come up with nothing, direct message me; I could make some calls and probably find a contact for you.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Wasn't there someone at the Spearfish Airport that supported jumps? Again that was something from 15 years ago.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Wasn't there someone at the Spearfish Airport that supported jumps? Again that was something from 15 years ago.
I'm pretty sure there was... back when. I know they offered glider rides. I'm not sure if they offered glider instruction or not. That's something I always wanted to try and never have -- gliders nor seaplanes.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm pretty sure there was... back when. I know they offered glider rides. I'm not sure if they offered glider instruction or not. That's something I always wanted to try and never have -- gliders nor seaplanes.
Gliders would be blast. Catch a thermal and ride it on up. Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane have never appealed to me. And I am up for adventure too.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I've got to say this and to me, it's funny.

Many years ago, I was in the Navy. We were all out drinking one night and made our boasts.

Tomorrow, we're going to jump. We went out and paid our $150 for three jumps. Ok, I got two left. Once, OMG I think I **** my pants. Man, I know I pissed them a little. I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. What was I thinking????????? The airplane was ok, it was flying. What the hell was I thinking??????? So ok. Now, I've settled down. I have two jumps left. Crap, that was 20 years ago. Or so. hahaha

The funny part is, "I woke up with a hangover and had already made my boasts.

Ain't doing that again. Although I've paid for two more rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota