U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:35 PM

509 posts, read 848,231 times

Advertisements

I dont know about the wages, maybe in your line of work its true, but from my experience, my wife and I moved from Mankato, MN to Sioux Falls 2 years ago. I left a job paying $7.50 in Mankato, my wife was getting $8.25, we moved here and I started at $10 in manufcaturing and she started at $9.60 at McKennan. We can afford alot more than when we lived in Mankato especially with out the Income Tax as well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 04:09 PM

128 posts, read 176,592 times
Well, unfortunately it is true so far for my line of work. I am allowing for some loss of hourly pay since there are no state income taxes. I'm glad you are doing better.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,453,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlequeenie View Post
Do you mean me, airboat - why am I staying here? Well, I really only recently started thinking about moving to SD. It's a big move and I want to do it right.
I had started putting out "feelers" a few months ago in other parts of this state. In June I started having to go to the western part of this state a couple of times a month (5 hours drive just to GET there; then it could be several more hours driving from town to town) going to local public health departments for a school project. I have left my resume with a couple of places but so far in the last 6 months I have only seen jobs opening in Minneapolis/St Paul greater area. I do NOT want to move to a big city.
I have been here since 1991 and thought I had the dream job as well as the dream home (I live outside the city limits on 3+ acres). But there have been a few episodes lately where I have really been treated like crap at work & the grant money for my job will be gone (I am TRYING to get a straight answer on when but so far no one is answering me). So I thought this was a good time to take stock of my situation and figure out what do I really want to do with the rest of my life
Normally I would rather have a colonoscopy without anesthesia instead of moving again. And of course now that I've decided I somehow could do this, there are no jobs! And from what I am seeing, the COL out there is very similar to here, yet the salaries are much lower. As a single person with no other income, that is a bit scary. Especially since I know I am not going to get as much as I should for my house in the current market.
So almost a month ago I applied for a job in Watertown and already had a phone interview. I have to go out tomorrow to the western part of MN tomorrow and am going to try to at least swing by Watertown on the way home Wed or Thurs. I don't think I can do more than drive thru this time - I do need to get back to my REAL job! I am sending out some letters this week to some places that I think I would like to work, hoping that maybe someone might be retiring from there in a few months or maybe they will be getting some funding at least by summer. I have also sent away from some relocation info from some towns. Meanwhile I am doing some home repairs and starting to de-clutter the house.
Hopefully the "right" job offer will come fairly soon?
Watertown would be a little less expensive to live in than Sioux Falls and is less than 100 miles from Sioux Falls (and is an hour and a half). Watertown is a stable community of 20,000 that is growing a little and has a Target, Wal-Mart, Shopko, HyVee, and a number of restaurants. It has two lakes nearby, which would be nice for outdoor recreation.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 AM

128 posts, read 176,592 times
I was in Watertown Wed evening after driving thru a horrible snowstorm for 2 days!!!! It had taken me more than 6 hours to drive from Newfolden MN to get to Watertown! I had hoped to drive around some the next day to check out the area - I REALLY wanted to go see the King Tut exhibit - but after driving for more than 6 hours a day in snow 2 days in a row - I needed to get home. I had heard that we were also expecting nasty weather at home! So I headed home - and hit nasty weather on at least 4 different occasions! And got my windshield cracked from some ice blowing off some idiot's car! I was so glad I got home in one piece!!! (I was nearly killed in a car accident 9 yrs ago this week - I can't go thru that experience again!)
I had hoped to hear back about the job I had interviewed for in Watertown while I was in the area - but THAT would have been too easy! (It was only a phone interview; if I passed, I would be asked back for an in person interview). Watertown does look like a nice community; at this time, I think they want to fill that job vacancy very quickly - much sooner than I could be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota