U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-01-2009, 12:27 PM

163 posts, read 13,372 times
Default Grocery store chains.

One night Mrs. and I were laying awake and talking about the different "chain" grocery stores we can recall from present time going back to when we were kids. Can anyone else help fill in any we missed.. South Dakota only now please. Not WinDixie or something we never had.

We have as those that either are here or once were here the following:
Albertson's, Buche's, County Fair,Econo Foods, Family Thrift, G&W, Hinky Dinky, Hy-Vee, Jack & Jill, Piggly Wiggly, Prairie Market, Randall's, Red Owl, Red & White, Safeway, Sunshine, Super Dooper.

Any more?
Where were they? I know Rapid had Albertson's and Safeway, Super Dooper and Family Thrift & Prairie Market.

Mitchell had Sunshine, County Fair, Randalls, County Fair.

Sioux Falls had most of them.

Buche's of course is in Wagner, Gregory, and several other towns west river.

Some of them only are out of business in SD, I'm sure. Anyone know if there are Red Owl stores anywhere anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM

479 posts, read 797,592 times
There was a Red Owl in Aberdeen, as late as 20 years ago. I think Huron had one and I know they had a Jack and Jill. I think there was a Prairie Market in Aberdeen, pretty sure it is Econofoods now. Huron had a Randall's, that is now Coburn's. There was a Sunshine in Yankton also. Watertown had a HyVee, but I think it closed. I can't think of what there other big store is called.
Oh, and Hitchcock had the Country Market.

Unread 12-01-2009, 06:22 PM

204 posts, read 416,206 times
Super Valu was in Mobridge, but the name has been changed now.

Unread 12-01-2009, 07:04 PM

17,948 posts, read 5,314,386 times
Ken's Fairway, in Aberdeen, Groton & ???

Suttleys (sp) in Pierre & Ft. Pierre.

Unread 12-01-2009, 08:19 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,259,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
One night Mrs. and I were laying awake and talking about the different "chain" grocery stores we can recall from present time going back to when we were kids. Can anyone else help fill in any we missed.. South Dakota only now please. Not WinDixie or something we never had.

We have as those that either are here or once were here the following:
Albertson's, Buche's, County Fair,Econo Foods, Family Thrift, G&W, Hinky Dinky, Hy-Vee, Jack & Jill, Piggly Wiggly, Prairie Market, Randall's, Red Owl, Red & White, Safeway, Sunshine, Super Dooper.

Any more?
Where were they? I know Rapid had Albertson's and Safeway, Super Dooper and Family Thrift & Prairie Market.

Mitchell had Sunshine, County Fair, Randalls, County Fair.

Sioux Falls had most of them.

Buche's of course is in Wagner, Gregory, and several other towns west river.

Some of them only are out of business in SD, I'm sure. Anyone know if there are Red Owl stores anywhere anymore?
I remember seeing Jack & Jill in quite a few small towns. Sioux Falls did have a Randall's and Econo Foods, but now only has Hy-Vee and Sunshine.

Unread 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM

479 posts, read 797,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
Ken's Fairway, in Aberdeen, Groton & ???

Suttleys (sp) in Pierre & Ft. Pierre.
I forgot about Suttley's. Ken's is now called Ken's Super Fair Foods. I'm pretty sure Groton, Aberdeen and Ipswich are their only locations.

Unread 12-01-2009, 09:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,042,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
There was a Red Owl in Aberdeen, as late as 20 years ago. I think Huron had one and I know they had a Jack and Jill. I think there was a Prairie Market in Aberdeen, pretty sure it is Econofoods now. Huron had a Randall's, that is now Coburn's. There was a Sunshine in Yankton also. Watertown had a HyVee, but I think it closed. I can't think of what there other big store is called.
Oh, and Hitchcock had the Country Market.
Watertown still has their Hy-Vee.

I can remember the Randall's in Sioux Falls and recall my parents saying that Albertson's and Safeway were in Sioux Falls in the early 1980s. Albertson's where the Randall's was before being remodeled and now housing Pizza Ranch and an Amish furniture place and Safeway where the 33rd and Minnesota HyVee was and now the Avera Living Well Center. I also remember as a kid back in 1987/1988 ish time of being with parents at the Prairie Market in Sioux Falls. They had two locations, one east of the zip feed mill on 6th and Weber and the other on 41st and Minnesota on the southwest corner where Dollar Tree/Staples are now (the 41st and Minnesota one I had memories of: groceries stacked high, warehouse feel inside).

I agree with prior posts that there were Sunshines in Yankton and Mitchell, which became Econofoods and closed. Speaking of Econofoods, I have been in the stores in Aberdeen, Pierre, Watertown, and Sioux Falls. For awhile, Sioux Falls had several when Econofoods parent company bought the Sunshines, which they sold a couple of the Sunshines. Sunshine is making a comeback and has added a few locations in the Sioux Falls area in the past four years (Lennox (bought an existing grocery store), Tea, and 57th and Cliff in Sioux Falls. A few years back, it seemed like when a Super Wal-Mart came to town, an Econofoods closed. This has happened in Yankton, Pierre, Mitchell, and not sure about Aberdeen and Watertown.

Jones Food Centers has locations in Southeastern SD, which I know that Parker, Vermillion, and Elk Point have the stores for sure and thinking that Viborg or Centerville have one.

I also recall a grocery store being in the Western Mall where Best Buy is now back when I was a very small kid back in the 1980s. It became a PharMor, which was a unique format, combining a drug store and dollar store under a big box format and was there for a span of 6 years and Best Buy moved from where SD Furniture Mart into its present location.

Wasn't Spies or Spyes a widespread grocery store in SD 20 years ago or so? I remembered there being on in Madison and my great grandparents shopped there and there was a Jack and Jill there.

Very interesting topic.

Unread 12-02-2009, 12:19 AM

78 posts, read 108,654 times
I think Ken's Fairway has stores in Eureka and Britton also. I vaguely remember when their Aberdeen store still opened to the inside of the Super City Mall. Econofoods in Aberdeen opened originally as Food Bonanza in '85 or '86. The Prairie Market in Aberdeen was in the building AAA auto parts later occupied (now where Harr Motors is) and the Prairie Market in Watertown was at the junction of Highways 20 & 212 near Sharp's (is it Cash-Way homes now or something?). Watertown's Prairie Market must have closed in the late 80's but I remember they had a HUGE coupon bin up front by the door. Aberdeen had a Red Owl (where Karl's was before they relocated to the mall...or was that the Piggly Wiggly?). There were quite a few Red Owl's East River, weren't there? I remember Eidet's Red Owl in Waubay and Willie's Red Owl in Webster and both later became SuperValu's. I read somewhere that there is still one Red Owl open in Wisconsin. Webster also had Mike's Jack & Jill which is still open but I think it's Mike's Food Center now. If memory serves the grocer in Bristol was also Jack & Jill and maybe Sisseton too? Watertown still has a County Fair uptown and there was formerly Spies Supervalu in Wtn at the intersection of 212 & 81. That was razed for Walgreen's & McDonalds after being a Jubilee and then being empty for a few years. Econofoods is still open in Watertown and Aberdeen. Were there Jubilee stores in Brandon and Huron too? There's Blondie's IGA in Deadwood. Any other IGA's? Oh yeah, and Food Pride stores. How's that for rambling?

Unread 12-02-2009, 09:40 AM

17,033 posts, read 11,782,712 times
There is Sutley's in Pierre and Fort Pierre. Lynn's Dakotamart It was once a Red Owl years ago. and an Mediocre Wal-mart in Pierre.

Econo foods folded up and left town. It was part of Nash Finch's chain. Same as Family Thrift Center in Rapid City.

Unread 12-02-2009, 09:53 AM

38 posts, read 4,756 times
There was a Jack and Jill in Spencer. But it closed long before the tornado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota