Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 AM

93 posts, read 163,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Let me just third the motion that declawing is cruel and unncessary. I guess I find it surprising that apts. around here are so lacking in compassion for our pets. They may need to browse around apts. complexes in other parts of the country. You can check the box that says, "Pets, cats, dogs" etc. and many apts. come up in most regions. How unenlightened some owners are.

This probably amazes me as much as a thread that was going in the forum of our neighbor to the north. There were comments made that NO landlords would be accepting of pets. Kinda frustrating!!!

Farming country or not, cruelty and unacceptance of pets is nothing more then stupidity and lack of compassion.
Totally agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 01:09 PM

433 posts, read 959,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Let me just third the motion that declawing is cruel and unncessary. I guess I find it surprising that apts. around here are so lacking in compassion for our pets.
Can I fourth that motion? Oh no, wait.... I was the one who SECONDED it! Oh I'm so confused. Who am I? Where am I? Who are you?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:18 PM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,175 times
I went to look at a two bedroom house. During the the walk through they told me about the damage the former renters children had done. The ad didn't state if pets were welcome or not. I asked the landlords if they would allow a small dog. They hesitated, so I jumped in and told him that I promised my dog would not do near the damage that the former renters children had done and I was more than willing to increase the deposit and they could call my present landlord as to the condition of my apartment. To make a long story short they checked...let me rent the house...even helped me set assemble the run...and ended up being my furbaby's foster grandparents in their own home when I had to be gone...saving me kennelling fees and making my baby much happier. There are excellent landlords in SD...you just have to find them...and sometimes when they live just next door it's even better! Love you Sid and Betty!

Just make sure your pets have been trained to be good renters and have references.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:43 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Excellent point dpf, and that brings out something else. If you go through a rental agency, you won't find that cooperation. They'll have a set policy. NO PETS.

But at least going to a private landlord, things can be negotiated.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Excellent point dpf, and that brings out something else. If you go through a rental agency, you won't find that cooperation. They'll have a set policy. NO PETS.

But at least going to a private landlord, things can be negotiated.
Okay, I hate to ask (another) stupid question, but how does one go about finding a PRIVATE landlord in a small town like Pierre?

All the ads I see are from property management companies, realtors, or apartment complexes.

Last edited by 50something; 12-14-2009 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Added the last sentence.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:20 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times
I wonder if putting and apartment wanted ad in the paper would work. When we moved to Huron, we just used the classified ads and called all of the ones that were available. We were able to find a nice place in a day (though we looked at some real honeys - in one, the shower was down in the basement. A dirt floor basement, with a grate to stand on).

Old 12-14-2009, 06:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
It's tough to do. By going through the classified, word of mouth, or actually seeing a sign that says, "For Rent", is about the only way. Other then like Leroy said, put your own add in the paper and then turn down every realitor that calls you.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It's tough to do. By going through the classified, word of mouth, or actually seeing a sign that says, "For Rent", is about the only way. Other then like Leroy said, put your own add in the paper and then turn down every realitor that calls you.
LOL, E.H. That's funny (turn down every realtor). I have an ad on craigslist under "Housing Wanted," but the Pierre sections on CL are barren!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM

451 posts, read 976,986 times
50something, it may be a lot easier for you to get what you want by seeing the area in person, if there is any chance that you are going to be heading to Pierre for an interview or something.

We had many questions as well right before our trip to Rapid City. Like I've said, the residents of SD are fantastic and very helpful. However, you can't replace actually seeing a place (if possible). For us, once we sell and then rent before buying again, I have to say this actually came up during our visit. There was an apartment complex that we might not have considered from viewing their website or looking over info mailed to us ... but seeing it in person was a huge selling point for us.

Anyway, when you have a final interview in Pierre you may want to take a few days and check it out. You never know how well you might click with just the right landlord and then......problem hopefully solved.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:41 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
I believe the property search link I listed has private and company listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota