Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:35 PM

75 posts, read 252,189 times

Advertisements

It seems that Rapid City gets more severe weather than Sioux Falls. I refer mainly to stronger winds and hail. (Am I misinformed?) Is there much of a problem with roof and /or other damage? Does RC have power problems in storms? I am wondering what precautions should be taken in the area - such as power generators, newer type of roofing, etc. Do home inspectors take these things in consideration? Thanks in advance and keep warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 07:06 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Not sure on the frequency of hail storms. Most houses can tolerate wind pretty well. Mostly repairs consist of 50 year shingles.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Rapid City really has been having some strong winds, haven't they? Yesterday they hit 67 mph gusts.

As far as hail, I'm not really sure that RC gets more then Sx. Falls. We don't have a huge problem with house/apartment damage here. Microbursts or tornadoes would probably be the worst problem as far as damage would be concerned. Shingles should hold up quite well. Just be sure to rake your roof if you get a lot of snow on it and do it carefully so you don't ruin any of your shingles.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:18 AM

412 posts, read 957,950 times
Rapid City does get some fierce winds. Out on the prairie east of RC they're stronger still. I wouldn't say we get any more hail than Sioux Falls. We're less likely to get tornadoes here, though they can happen. It doesn't hurt to have an underground basement, storm cellar or safe room just in case if you're concerned. We're building a house in the flatlands, and were warned to stay away from vinyl siding because it'll blow off in a stiff wind. Sure enough, I drove out there during a windstorm and saw strips of vinyl siding from a nice new house tumbling across the prairie. The builder recommends fiber cement siding like HardiePlank or CanExcel. You can buy weather-resistant shingles rated to resist wind and hail damage. If you get enormous hail, you'll have damage anyway but that's rare. It's a good idea to have a wood stove or fireplace insert for backup heat/cooking purposes in case you're without power for an extended period of time. In Rapid City that is rare. In rural areas, plan on it. A generator is good to have so you can run the fridge and a few lights and your well pump if it's electric (if you're rural, you'll likely be on well water). Stocking up on non-perishable food items is a smart thing to do in case the roads are impassable and you aren't able to go shopping. Again, that's more important if you live in a remote area. Another thing to consider is lightning protection. It's cheap insurance. I'm surprised how few people have it on their homes out here, when spring/summer thunderstorms are so common. An electrical contractor can install it on your house for a few hundred bucks and you have peace of mind.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:02 AM

75 posts, read 252,189 times
Thanks for the feedback. I will put the comments in my South Dakota file. Hope everyone is getting shoveled out.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 AM

128 posts, read 282,115 times
Kbat
I had never heard of lightning protection! My phone lines got burnt out once from a lightning strike here; a home just 2 houses down from me had a small roof fire (I now have metal shingles).
I was wondering about the need for a basement in that neck of the woods since I've seen many houses for sale without one. I think I'll still want one based on what you said. You gave some great tips, thanks!

Old 12-28-2009, 01:17 PM

basements are nice. But most houses have interior walls that will offer protection from a tornado. Basements may flood too.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:04 PM

451 posts, read 976,864 times
Wow - great responses and ideas. And again, just kind of shows us that we may not be quite as familiar with what we're in for as we thought (though, we are quick learners).

Jammie - at the risk of sounding like I have no clue what we're in for (see above ); I don't know how else to ask this, but are you serious about the need to rake the roof? I asked hubby if he ever remembered us raking our roof (over 20 years in WI homes). Hubby reminded me that we never had that problem as the pitch of our roof in each and every home we owned was pitched such as it was not needed. I don't remember noticing a marked difference in the pitch of the roof of homes we looked at in and outside of Rapid City. Then again, we did so much in 3 days that maybe I didn't notice (and honestly, I wasn't looking that closely). Is that different in Sioux Falls and those surrounding areas?

LQ and anyone with a metal roof (which is something I've hoped to learn more about) - how happy are you with that type of a roof? Is it horrendously loud during a hail storm or is it insulated in some way?

Hubby and I owned a home in the suburbs (and like all we've owned, it was either on the top of or approaching the top of a hill). The one in the suburbs had a roof that would flap like the wayward sail of a boat during a wind storm. Long story (not to be written here) and many calls to the builder later...it was resolved. However, with watching your recent weather...those memories have returned !!

Old 12-28-2009, 05:17 PM

I like the idea of a metal roof. I guess they are even coming up with metal shingles. The noise would depend on amount of insulation.

Nothing better than listening to rain hit a metal roof. Noting worst than listening to a hailstorm hit a metal roof. Ear plugs are needed. But that is usually in shops.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Oh, it's not a regular occurence. Sometimes when you have a very heavy snowfall, it's good to get some of it raked off the roof. If you get too much on there, the weight can give you problems. But like I said, it's nothing you have to do often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota