U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,775 times

Advertisements

hello, i'm thinking of moving my family to South Dakota. I have never been there and this idea is in the early stages of being considered. i work from home and could do my job anywhere in the USA, my wife has a corprate job with a major retailer. i have 4 kids age 8-1 and we are tired of both of us having to work to make ends meet. i need to know what parts of SD would be good to raise a fam and have decent job opps. i we love the outdoors and are looking for this to keep us busy all year round. any info would be very helpfull. I hear SD may be the place to move for people looking to leave the hustle and bustle of the city...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 01:20 PM

608 posts, read 549,026 times
South Dakota is a great place to live if you value friendly people, helpful neighbors, low crime, the great outdoors, and a family-friendly environment. As far as your desire to farm, what do you want to grow? The Eastern half of the state seems to be more fertile. However, you seem to like outdoor activities; and there's no shortage of hiking, caves, national parks, lakes, rivers, etc in the western half of SD. Of course, the eastern half of SD also can boast great hunting and fishing opportunities. If you want to live near a populated area, Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and Aberdeen all have great shopping, restaraunts, etc. South Dakota is a BIG state with nearly unlimited opportunities and choices when it comes to chosing a place to live based on your lifestyle and needs. I hope you can find the info you're looking for and I wish you a happy new year.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:52 PM

56 posts, read 110,451 times
Sioux Falls is the main engine that keeps the state running. Rapid City and Aberdeen contribute to this. I prefer Sioux Falls with the fast growth and with Minneapolis, Sioux City and Minneapolis only being hours away. Some people prefer the west river area with it's beautiful scenery.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:40 AM

128 posts, read 178,373 times
I am also hoping to move to SD but I've at least visited a couple of times. I think almost anyplace would be family friendly, but it is a huge state and I guess you need to figure out where/if your wife would be working. Does her company have a site in SD or would she be looking for another job?
You can check Dakota Roots for job opportunities, as well as the state job site and don't forget federal jobs (www.usajobs.gov).
I don't know where you are living now. I'm originally from the east coast near Boston; my family/friends think I'm almost in the middle of nowhere now in SE MN; some can't imagine my living in a more rural area in SD. It would not be what they would want. You really should plan on visiting SD to get a feel for it.
It's primarily for tourists, but I have checked out www.travelsd.com for a vacation guide. I also got a tour book from AAA. It at least gives me a brief snapshot of an area. From there I've gone to a town's chamber of commerce's website and requested relocation material.
This site has been very helpful but I think you need to remember that when one poster says one area or another is too isolated or full of cliques or whatever - that is one opinion. I had a phone interview a couple of months ago for Watertown, SD and saw posts that were very favorable - and others not favorable.
Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 AM

19,789 posts, read 15,205,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly One View Post
Sioux Falls is the main engine that keeps the state running. Rapid City and Aberdeen contribute to this. I prefer Sioux Falls with the fast growth and with Minneapolis, Sioux City and Minneapolis only being hours away. Some people prefer the west river area with it's beautiful scenery.
That is a rather arrogant statement. I wont downplay the importance to Sioux Falls. However agriculture is the prime mover of what makes the state tick. It is the industry that is statewide more than a city that contributes.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
That is a rather arrogant statement. I wont downplay the importance to Sioux Falls. However agriculture is the prime mover of what makes the state tick. It is the industry that is statewide more than a city that contributes.
I won't deny the agriculture industry it's props but without Sioux Falls, this state would be pretty much dead. Agriculture is slowly in a downward spiral with the younger generation not wanting to take over the farms and moving to the cities or out of state.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly One View Post
That was supposed to say Minneapolis, Sioux City and Omaha. Not Minneapolis twice.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:09 AM

The information I have provided below is from http://www.sdchamber.biz. Agriculture doesn't even make for 10%.

In the year 2000 South Dakota’s Gross State Product (GSP) was $23,192,000,000 ($23.2
billion). The largest industry sectors within GSP are:
(See Appendix, Chart 2 and Table 1)

Finance, Insurance and Real Estate (F.I.RE) (20%)
Services (17.6%)
Manufacturing (12.6%)
Government (12.6%)
Retail (10%)

Rounding out the top ten are:

Transportation/Utilities (7.6%)
Agriculture (7.5%)
Wholesale Trade (6.5%)
Construction (4.2%)
Travel & Healthcare (3%)*
Mining at (.5%)

Last edited by Grizzly One; 01-03-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-03-2010, 01:39 PM

19,789 posts, read 15,205,993 times
So what is the number one industry in the state? How many other business' support the number industry?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:52 PM

The current-dollar gross state product of South Dakota was US$37 billion as of 2008, the fifth smallest total state output in the US. The per capita personal income was $37,375 in 2008, ranked 26th in the U.S. and 13.2% of the population is below the poverty line. As of November 2008, South Dakota's unemployment rate was 3.4%, the third lowest jobless rate in the nation.
The service industry is the largest economic contributor in South Dakota. This sector includes the retail, finance, and health care industries. Citibank, which was the largest bank holding company in the United States at one time, established national banking operations in South Dakota in 1981 to take advantage of favorable banking regulations. Government spending is another important segment of the state's economy, providing over ten percent of the gross state product. Ellsworth Air Force Base, near Rapid City, is the second-largest single employer in the state.

Agriculture has historically been a key component of the South Dakota economy. Although other industries have expanded rapidly in recent decades, agricultural production is still very important to the state's economy, especially in rural areas. The five most valuable agricultural products in South Dakota are cattle, corn (maize), soybeans, wheat, and hogs. Agriculture-related industries such as meat packing and ethanol production also have a considerable economic impact on the state. South Dakota is the sixth leading ethanol-producing state in the nation.
Another important sector in South Dakota's economy is tourism. Many travel to view the attractions of the state, particularly those in the Black Hills region, such as historic Deadwood, Mount Rushmore, and the nearby state and national parks. One of the largest tourist events in the state is the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. The five day event drew over 450,000 attendants in 2006, significant considering the state has a population of only 790,000. In 2006, tourism provided an estimated 33,000 jobs in the state and contributed over two billion dollars to the economy of South Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota