Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 PM

451 posts, read 976,802 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Insanity Road !! Won't go into a huge explanation other than to say I was the first one home......there was water....lots and lots of water....... lots and lots of water in areas where it should not be.....!!! Good news is after half gutting the kitchen that most of the damage is somewhat easily repaired and not too expensive and the actual cabinets and walls themselves were not damaged. The bad news is that (and I mentioned this on another thread) we were virtually done and ready to have the realtors do their parade through...and then we'd make our choice and list....as in very soon. This will now set us back time-wise.

Honestly, I cannot believe with having done all we've done and waiting and fooling around with neighborhood issues that may or may not be resolved.....that we are STILL messing around with this stupid house. Last house we sold....no issues....no neighborhood issues to resolve with weeks and weeks of waiting..........however; it was in a different state........

Bottom line, and this was just in talking stages between hubby and me (which now has since catapulted to the top of the topic list), we are thinking more seriously about having me find a job (RN) in SD and then move myself and live apart until this abode sells. Without too much detail, I am fairly certain that I would be able to be working within a reasonable time period. Hubby has talked with those who he would work for in SD (just talking stages) but, for us, it would make more sense for him to remain and then transfer (mine would not be a transfer).

So, I know it would be on the order of renting a two-bedroom apartment and with that goes separate utilities and groceries, etc. Also, it isn't the happiest idea to be apart. However, at times it feels like it might be a viable idea. So, for those who have moved to SD this way; what am I missing??? Was it horrible; any regrets? Again, this is just talking stages, but I am pretty certain that I am probably missing a few big considerations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM

479 posts, read 1,554,770 times
If you have the income, it should work. The concern would be on how long it takes to get your house sold. Do you have any estimates on that?

Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
If you have the income, it should work. The concern would be on how long it takes to get your house sold. Do you have any estimates on that?

Hi Leroy. Well, let's see. If all the stars align with the moon and Jupiter aligns with.... (just kidding). Seriously, you have the million dollar question. I've heard the trinity for realty includes; the right price, a well cared for home and location, location, location. We'll be great on price (we plan to list for at least $5,000 less than the lowest realtor estimate we get as we want out), we've got a very, very well maintained home, (pool and spa and mountain views)..............but, then there is the location .

I personally think the neighborhood will be what determines how long it takes to sell. Or, putting it another way, the neighborhood will determine how low we have to drop the price. I wish we had some of the good neighbors we had ten years ago when we moved in (sadly, they escaped before we could ).

We'd be good financially as I would not move myself without acquiring a position. It really feels sometimes like this is taking longer than necessary. I don't know...I often think that if we push this a little that perhaps we'd be more amenable to doing all that is necessary to get out. Like if I am in SD, hubby might call one day and say he received a ridiculous offer that maybe together we would not have discussed or entertained, but apart it would be easier to say "just take it".

Thanks for your response. Excellent points to think about while I am doing the backstroke in my kitchen (kidding - water is no longer an issue) .

Old 01-06-2010, 04:27 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,076 times
my hubby is out of town so whens yours coming up ha ha ha.:rolley es:

Old 01-06-2010, 04:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
That's cute.

I didn't reply since, as you know, we've never been through that. It's actually something we considered when we thought about moving. It'd just be a convenient way to keep your family insured and with a place to fall back on in case things weren't what you were expecting them to be you didn't feel stable with employment, etc.

But the flip side is the separation. I guess I didn't get married to live by myself and I think you're the same way. It's just a really tough decision and I'm anxious to find out how this all works out for you.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Hi airboat - too funny, LOL !! Hate to break it to you, but South Dakota would get me first, then hubby!!!

I'd jump in the car right now after the last two days !! In fact, hubby and I are on attitude adjustment number 1,222,306 !! If this silly stuff keeps coming up we're going to have to start the I-10 spouse watch (make sure neither one of us escapes until all this joy is done and finalized)!!

Seriously, thanks for the laugh./AJ

Hi Jammie!! I just read your response. You're right, normally I would not want to be separated from hubby. However, maybe things would move along faster if we kind of forced the issue more. Who knows? There's a lot to think about. You're right about this one person leaves/one person remains being a good cushion just in case. Additionally, I do keep a pretty good eye on the SD hospitals, etc. The absolute last thing I'd want is to see positions decrease markedly and miss opportunities just in the name of a little time apart, you know? However, I do know that there are many things I am probably missing. So, just in case this is what happens, I just have to try to see what other folks' thoughts are on the matter./AJ

Last edited by AJTucson; 01-06-2010 at 04:44 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times
We'd all be happy to come down and visit you right now. We'll have toddies by your pool. Oh, and don't bother cooking us anything special. We'll just eat what you're having.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 PM

Default Come On Down!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
We'd all be happy to come down and visit you right now. We'll have toddies by your pool. Oh, and don't bother cooking us anything special. We'll just eat what you're having.

Too funny!! Come on down!! I'll make whatever anyone wants!! We'll do frozen drinks if you want! However, just one thing. When you come, would you please bring a "physics/math/common sense is your friend" book so you can try to explain to our neighbor that backing a semi into a driveway does not decrease the length as compared to pulling it in forwards. It is still on the sidewalk...it is still a violation!!

This too shall pass......this too shall pass......this too shall pass.......

Old 01-06-2010, 04:53 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,076 times
Iam a little jokester sometimes I cant help myself.but anyway before we moved up here me and bill talked about doing the same thing. but hes my best friend and I did not want be apart at all so we stayed put until we sold are home and moved up together and we had a blast taking our time getting here.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Iam a little jokester sometimes I cant help myself.but anyway before we moved up here me and bill talked about doing the same thing. but hes my best friend and I did not want be apart at all so we stayed put until we sold are home and moved up together and we had a blast taking our time getting here.

Oh, that is so cool!! Seriously. I know...all kidding aside, something like this would be hard for hubby and me as well. However, I have to ask. Did you come from a better market than say...AZ? Did you sell before the housing bubble burst? If you're willing to say, how long did it take to sell your home?

Also, if you have any great ideas that came about from selling/trying to sell...hey, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!!/AJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota