U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2006, 07:41 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,166,681 times
Oh I remember the song "Mama's Little Baby Loves Short'nin Bread. My Mother used to sing it to me when I was little. Thank you for the memory.

I don't know if I've ever heard the other song you're referring to. I could be totally off base here, but have you checked TUBE? I think that's what it's called. It's a site with millions of songs on it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 10:30 PM

172 posts, read 114,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSpaceRobot View Post
I am planning a trip to SD in 07 I see someone else on here is as well. Anyway I have heard for sometime that James jumped on foot not on a horse to get away from the law somewhere in the SD or ND????? Hit me back...
Jesse James, yes! Supposedly he jumped on horseback across a wide ravine in Garretson State Park, called The Pallasades", to elude charging lawmen. GSP is located in Garretson South Dakota, North of Sioux Falls.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:03 PM

33 posts, read 100,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Sorry, I can't help you much with that one. I believe that Jesse and his bro, Frank were in Dakota Territory for a while. They were also in surrounding states, Minn, and Neb. I'm not sure what you're referring to, but Jesse and Frank did their robberies shortly after the Civil War which ended in 1863. ND and SD were still one territory until 1889. They were the sons of a Baptist Pastor from Mo. They grew up in St. Joseph Mo. and I'm not sure where they expired. One of the few things I know is that Jesse married his cousin and his bro also married. They were thought to be more of the Robin Hood nature then the outlaws they're often remembered as. Jesse thought that the Ford Brothers were his friends and had planned on doing a robbery with them because he needed $$ to buy a house. One of the Ford brothers shot Jesse and killed him because he wanted the $10,000 reward.
Couldn't Resist Dept: Civil War (At least the American one) ended in 1865 with Gen Lee handing his sword to Gen Grant at Appomattox.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:11 PM

172 posts, read 114,797 times
N8tveRose,
I have checked for that song also, Lakota Lullabye. Could not find it after several days trying. It is available for a price at the following locations:

http://zangomusic.com/aiabrrh.html
Lakota Lullabye
Paul LaRoche $14.95
or
E Bay For Sale
# 290021425777
or
Music at
http://cdbaby.com/cd/airo2
or
E Bay $10.00
# : 4880684895
Wish I could be of more help, but guess not today. Sorry.

Mammas Little Baby -----
Song is by the Beach Boys.

Hope this helps.
Have a good one.

Bob

Old 10-24-2006, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,741 times
Yes, Devil's Gulch is in Garretson just north of the Palisades State Park. I have been there several times. My Father's Grandparents homesteaded on the west side of what is now that State Park. Though no one knows for sure, Jesse and his brother Frank headed through this area in 1982 after the Northfield raid in Northfield, Minn. They and the Younger brothers split up after the bank robbery went bad. Youngers were later captured but Jesse and Frank got away. I believe the creek that flows by Garretson and into the Palisades is called Split Rock creek. There is supposed to be two caves along this creek where in one Jesse and Frank used a hideaway from the posse.

As far as Jesse jumping the Gulch, several accounts reports that Jesse was approached by a posse, and in attempting to get away, he and Frank split up. Jesse found himself at the edge of Devil's Gulch(another name is Spirit Canyon), a deep fifteen-foot wide chasm with a red rock face about 100 feet to the river(creek) below. According to legend, Jesse stopped at the abyss, rode back a short distance and began coaxing his horse to leap the canyon. He apparently jumped at the narrowest point just as the posse was closing in.
Most scholars consider this leap little more than folklore, yet most consede that the James brothers were definitely pursued by a posse in the Palisades area.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,741 times
Default Jesse James

Following the Northfield, Minnesota bank robbery in September 1876, Jesse and Frank James rode into the Palisades, a stream bordered by red quartzite rock formations. Accounts vary as to which posse came in sight of the brothers—the St. Louis police force, a posse from Northfield, or Julius Town and his Nobles county group—but all agree the confrontation occurred while Frank and Jesse had split up to scout the area, each following one side of Split Rock Creek.
Several accounts report that Jesse was approached by a posse, and in attempting to get away, he found himself at the edge of Devil’s Gulch or Spirit Canyon, a deep fifteen-foot wide chasm with a red rock face falling 100 feet to the river, then rising sharply on the other side. Jesse stopped at the abyss, rode back a short distance and began coaxing his tired horse to leap the canyon. Just as the posse came up on him, Jesse rode toward the edge at full gallop, and at the narrowest point, leaped the canyon. The sheriff’s posse stopped at the edge; none of the officers considered the continued chase worth the foolhardy risk which was involved in leaping Devil’s Gulch.
Serious scholars consider Jesse’s courageous leap to freedom little more than folklore. The hard and rugged Sioux quartzite at the gulch would give a horse little chance of obtaining a firm foothold and the distance between the two cliffs would be almost insurmountable. Yet, the Jameses were definitely pursued by a posse in the Palisades area and many persons swear Jesse’s leap is a part of history.
After slipping away from his would-be captors, with or without the leap, Jesse joined Frank in another canyon nearby. Discovering a small, narrow cave in the side of one of the canyon walls, with the opening little more than a crack between huge rocks, the brothers found the interior roomy enough for two men. While the posse surveyed the rocky countryside, the Jameses spent the night in the cave hideaway.
Just below the Palisades, the robbers stopped at the farm of a Mr. Nelson, between six and eight on Sunday evening, and inquired about the roads and fords in the area. Nelson, who was sitting on a fence, lit his pipe and began talking about other matters. One of the outlaws asked him if he was going to sit there all night. Seeing that the men were wearing revolvers, Nelson gave them the information they requested and went into the house.
As soon as Nelson retired into the house, the outlaw brothers charged for his two black horses. What neither of them knew was, both horses were blind, one in one eye, the other in both. They rode the blind horses for about ten miles, changing them for a pair of grays, five miles north of Sioux Falls.
About five o’clock Monday morning, the brothers stopped the Yankton Stage and asked the driver where he was going. The driver answered and asked them the same question. The brothers probably intended to take the horses from the stage, but seeing they were poor mounts, rode away on their grays. The Minnesota posse was only five miles behind, and all the crossings of the Missouri River between Yankton and Fort Sully, had guards posted.
The Sioux City Daily News reported: “Armed companies, we learn, are watching the different roads through Southeastern Dakota, and it is hoped that the notorious robbers may fall into some of their hands and not escape across the Missouri. If they succeed in getting across the river their chances for escape will be greatly increased. They know all of the country well from the Missouri south through to Texas.”
The same newspaper reported on September 21 that two men believed to be the robbers were seen about eight miles from East Orange, with a posse about two hours behind them. The posse caught up to the robbers six miles away, just as they were leaving the home of a Norwegian man named Swanson, where they spent the night. The Jameses had told the man they were laborers in search of work, and complained of being extremely tired and lame after walking a long distance.
As the posse approached, Jesse and Frank ran into a nearby barn where the owner, Andrew Shuelson, was feeding his horses. When the farmer protested the intrusion, one of the robbers held a revolver close to his eyebrows. When the coast was clear, the men rode away, crossing the Big Sioux River into Iowa. The sheriff’s assistant and the Worthington party gave chase.
As the Jameses ascended a steep bluff on the opposite side of the stream, two of the posse charged. The outlaws stopped and dismounted. Several shots were fired at the two pursuers. One of the bullets struck one of the horses in the neck. The shots apparently frightened the Worthington lawman and his posse, who returned to Beloit, Iowa for reinforcements.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:22 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,166,681 times
Hi. Wow, where did you find all the info? That was great.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,583 times
Jesse James had several cousins in the Dakota Territory. My father told me that his great grandfather was a 2nd cousin to Jesse James. I'm looking for a thread that would lead me to find more of my relatives. I've found a few, but not many. Anybody have more information please feel free to contact me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota