Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 AM

30 posts, read 90,046 times

Advertisements

Hi. I work at a retail store in California. I would like to move out of this state and was wondering how easy it is to find a job in South Dakota (especially Sioux Falls and Rapid City). Also, what job fields are more readily available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,162 times
Iam almost afaid to touch this but here it gos anyway.From what Ive been hearing people moving here from cali have more problems with the lifestye change than they have with getting jobs. As far as jobs go things are a little slow in retail in RC but things should pick this spring late spring.Best of luck to you.PS I have no clue what gos on the east river side of the state.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,272 times
In Sioux Falls I think there are some retail jobs available but most pay like $7 or $8 an hour, if you work in retail now, you're best bet is to see if you're current employer has any stores or whatever out in South Dakota that you can transfer with.....

Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 AM

8 posts, read 56,965 times
Smile SiouX falls and counting

Hello, I relocated to Sioux Falls From Arizona, my wife is from Los Angeles, and I am not sure why you chose South Dakota but we have not done well. Its very cold, there is nothing to do 6-8 months out of the year. They have 1 real movie theater, 1 trashy theater, and 1 $3 theater. They are building a new one so thats not bad. If you like sports then you will not like it here either. They have minor league teams, but its not the same when you have pro teams to watch before. If you plan on going to college the schools here are very high. Everything in Sioux Falls is private. If you wanted to drive an hour away you can go to USD or SDSU. But the drive will cost you.

WORK: There are jobs here do not let anyone tell you anything but. I see it all over. If you like call center work this is a goldmine city. There are a lot of call cell center jobs here the biggest being CITI bank Wells Fargo, HSBC but trust me there are so many here. Plus there is a mall here so retail is good.

The city is not so bad. If you get past the schools and the low wages you are good. People here are very slow, but safe. They are good people that have good hearts. There is a large population of imagrants moving into the area which gives this city some flavor. I like the fact that you can get from one side of the city to the other in less than 20 minutes. With that the Interstate (freeway) as they call it here is empty so you can go around the small city on it and its faster than driving the city 30 mph.

Anything else you want to know just shout out.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Hi Tstempert. Thanks for the info.
I am originally from North Idaho, which I left for lack of employment, and thought South Dakota would be close in culture but more flat (I like being able to see long distances without mountains in the way). Also, I want a place with people who are more friendly than those in CA, and with less regulations and taxes.
What exactly is the average pay in Sioux Falls?
I very rarely watch movies and am not going to college, so those wouldn't be a problem.
On sports, I love football and baseball and as I am originally from the Northwest I am a Seattle Seahawks/Seattle Mariners fan. Are there places (such as pizza restaurants) where they play sports on tv's in Sioux Falls?
Thank you for your help.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,272 times
Yea there are some sports bars, Rookies, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chammps, and several other smaller ones. It depends on what line of work you are in.

Manufacturing $10ish
Retail $8ish

I'm not sure what the others pay, like I said it all depends on type of work but $10 here goes alot farther than $10 in Cali I'm sure.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM

17 posts, read 42,824 times
I don't think retail opportunities are great in Rapid right now. I just lost my retail job last month due to the store closing and haven't found another retail position yet. Although I have specific schedule requirements due to school, so that might be hurting me. Also the pay for retail sucks, but it's probably like that anywhere. Not

Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM

17 posts, read 42,824 times
Sorry, I started to write Not sure about Souix Falls area,

Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Default Thank you Both

Thank you to the last two posters for your help. On Rapid City, does this mean the economy is still going downhill in that area?
Thanks for the info on pay averages. Does anyone know what specific lines of work are available in manufacturing?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,480 times
The economy is pretty stable in Rapid, especially compared to a lot of other places right now. It's just not as high-dollar as you are used to. Average wages around here are max $10-11 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota