Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:36 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,112,583 times

Advertisements

IMO as a former Californian living in N Dak. I find that the people in Aberdeen are a lot more laid back than the ones in Fargo. It's a night and day difference between the Dakotas and California.

I hate to say it but Californians are mostly self centered jerks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,103,375 times
Like they say, everyone experiences the same place differently. I tend to be the kind of person to make any situation work for me, but my feeling is that you get out of something/someplace exactly what you put into it. Some people can be miserable in the best situation, and some people can be happy given the same exact scenario.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:08 PM

434 posts, read 683,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Like they say, everyone experiences the same place differently. I tend to be the kind of person to make any situation work for me, but my feeling is that you get out of something/someplace exactly what you put into it. Some people can be miserable in the best situation, and some people can be happy given the same exact scenario.
There is a lot of truth to what you say about getting out of a place what you put into it. That said, some places are less hospitable to newcomers than others. And, after living in six places as an adult, the South Dakota town that I live in is the least hospitable of those six, in my estimation. And others that I know here say much the same. We credit the Norwegian heritage. :-)

What they have here seems to work for them, (by them I mean locals) unless you count the high rate of alcoholism as a manifestation of dysfunction and unhappiness, not just a cultural phenomenon.

All that said, South Dakota, as a whole, has some real positives. So this is certainly not a critique of the entire state.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:44 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,103,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
There is a lot of truth to what you say about getting out of a place what you put into it. That said, some places are less hospitable to newcomers than others. And, after living in six places as an adult, the South Dakota town that I live in is the least hospitable of those six, in my estimation. And others that I know here say much the same. We credit the Norwegian heritage. :-)

What they have here seems to work for them, (by them I mean locals) unless you count the high rate of alcoholism as a manifestation of dysfunction and unhappiness, not just a cultural phenomenon.

All that said, South Dakota, as a whole, has some real positives. So this is certainly not a critique of the entire state.
I spent three years in a town that I put a lot into, but did not get the same in return. I didn't let it tarnish my opinion of the whole place. I still count the experience as a positive one because it brought me to where I am.

Some people just aren't happy unless they are unhappy (or have something to complain about), and I don't let them bother me, either!

Old 01-05-2015, 09:49 AM

191 posts, read 286,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
I spent three years in a town that I put a lot into, but did not get the same in return. I didn't let it tarnish my opinion of the whole place. I still count the experience as a positive one because it brought me to where I am.

Some people just aren't happy unless they are unhappy (or have something to complain about), and I don't let them bother me, either!
Exactly, I like South Dakota, just not Custer.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:57 PM

196 posts, read 318,204 times
And here I thought all the Californians were moving to Washington (state)!

Old 01-09-2015, 11:52 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,849,892 times
Nope. Washington state was filled up a few years ago.

uh

Old 02-09-2015, 07:03 PM

994 posts, read 1,589,843 times
South Dakota is cheaper in relation to Cali (although far from the cheapest in the Union) and you're getting a lot of Cali expatriates moving out here. They can sell their house in Cali for maybe $500K - $700K and buy a similar house in SD (usually the Sioux Falls area) for maybe 1/3 the price and bank the rest. Of course they find out that SD doesn't have the economy or resources of most other states (why do you think it's cheaper here?) and are surprised when most of the natives won't do things the way they did in Cali. Personally, I think the state is way overrated but for Californians it's paradise to some of them. Most of the states west of the Mississippi are getting a lot of Californian expatriates so SD isn't unique here.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:35 AM

7,631 posts, read 4,551,572 times
Default Ehhh

To live in California and enjoy it, you should want to be rich, show it and have narrow passionate interests and purposefully dumb about most things. You should not work long hours and game your job to put in additional slack time. You pay taxes because there is a program for every ill that afflicts the state, and if those programs aren't working, that's not your problem....now back to my $200K doghouse.

To live in South Dakota and enjoy it, you should be modest and be aware and involved in your community. You are purposefully smart on most things even if you have little exposure to them. You will work long hours and will work to increase your scope. You don't pay taxes but do help. Now, back to my 4-H troop's meeting on how to build a doghouse with this donated lumber.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,849,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
To live in California and enjoy it, you should want to be rich, show it and have narrow passionate interests and purposefully dumb about most things. You should not work long hours and game your job to put in additional slack time. You pay taxes because there is a program for every ill that afflicts the state, and if those programs aren't working, that's not your problem....now back to my $200K doghouse.

To live in South Dakota and enjoy it, you should be modest and be aware and involved in your community. You are purposefully smart on most things even if you have little exposure to them. You will work long hours and will work to increase your scope. You don't pay taxes but do help. Now, back to my 4-H troop's meeting on how to build a doghouse with this donated lumber.
LOL. The doghouse analogy nails it.

uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota