Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,905,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Have a great Thanksgiving holiday!
You as well! I suppose we can all be thankful that the Big Whimper looks like the most probably outcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 AM

5,463 posts, read 9,614,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
You as well! I suppose we can all be thankful that the Big Whimper looks like the most probably outcome
We plan to celebrate the occasion as a paradox. We will stuff a turkey, which will ultimately end up stuffing us.

We can also be grateful that the Final Whimper is about 10^100 (googol) years off in the future. At that point, there'd be no trace of anything in the universe. Even the black holes would cease to exist. It's possible photons from the last flicker of evaporated black holes might continue on for 10^100^100 (googolplex) years before completely evaporating out of existence.
The End of Everything

Interestingly, while we might wonder about the strangeness of how the universe will end, we also wonder about the strangeness of how it all began. The best theory today is the Big Bang. Here are a couple of scenarios exploring the question of how the universe could come into existence as something out of nothing.

The Universe - Created Out Of Nothing? - YouTube

What Caused the Big Bang? - YouTube

Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,481,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I would love to find out more on the Big Brake and the Big Lurch. There is hardly any information freely available online about these scenarios.
I had a LOT of trouble researching this thread......and found next to nothing on some of the scenarios....

I wish I could post the entire article from Scientific American.....it had more information than most net sources....my opening post was based on and condensed from that article.

Here's a cool thread I did about Time morphing into space backing up one scenario(The Big Crunch)>>>>>

http://www.city-data.com/forum/scien...-morphing.html

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 11-29-2011 at 10:20 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 PM

Here's another look at the Calabi-Yau.

Calabi-Yau Spaces - YouTube

Old 11-30-2011, 11:46 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,196,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
All of this is meaningless if we're living in a simulation.

Simulated reality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The laws of physics could be nothing more than a few lines of code. Hack into the simulation and you can change the final outcome.
I can appreciate the immense size of the Universe, but why do all of these theories (and are they really theories, or just hypothesis?) have to be a "big" something? And if we are talking about the end of the Universe, then why not put some humor into it? How about The Big Bust?

While this is a very fascinating subject, I also find it completely irrelevant. For the most part, this event, if it ever happens, is potentially billions of years into the future. So to be blunt, who cares! Life as we know it will be long gone by then (or at least not in a form any of us would recognize).

As someone who holds a degree in marine biology, it absolutely irks me that we barely know anything about our own planet, that our oceans are only about 3% mapped and that we know more about the surface of Mars than we do our own oceans; and that the total budget for oceanographic exploration/study is only about 1% of the total budget for space exploration.

It is just my opinion that too much brain power and talent is being wasted attempting to figure out the end of the Universe when that intellect could, and should, be focused on our own planet and solar system.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Here's another look at the Calabi-Yau.

Calabi-Yau Spaces - YouTube
Thanx it's incredibly elegant......

Old 12-04-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I can appreciate the immense size of the Universe, but why do all of these theories (and are they really theories, or just hypothesis?) have to be a "big" something? And if we are talking about the end of the Universe, then why not put some humor into it? How about The Big Bust?

While this is a very fascinating subject, I also find it completely irrelevant. For the most part, this event, if it ever happens, is potentially billions of years into the future. So to be blunt, who cares! Life as we know it will be long gone by then (or at least not in a form any of us would recognize).

As someone who holds a degree in marine biology, it absolutely irks me that we barely know anything about our own planet, that our oceans are only about 3% mapped and that we know more about the surface of Mars than we do our own oceans; and that the total budget for oceanographic exploration/study is only about 1% of the total budget for space exploration.

It is just my opinion that too much brain power and talent is being wasted attempting to figure out the end of the Universe when that intellect could, and should, be focused on our own planet and solar system.
Some folks feel the same way about Marine Biology! Bores me to death...who cares anyway....we don't live in the Oceans.......

It is a philosophical question also and finding the answers to the fate of our Universe will hold unimaginable knowledge in Physics that will increase mankind's scientific base as well as providing answers to everyday problems.

I'm frankly astounded IF you are so well educated that you would post something so narrow minded and ill informed....plus it sounds like you're "bitter". Just my opinion.

Budget of NASA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - NOAA Announces FY 2012 Budget

I don't know where you got your numbers from; but NASA's budget is 19 Billion dollars and NOAA's budget is 5.5 Billion dollars.

That's almost 29% of NASA's budget not 1%

Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,158,381 times
Not to stray too far off-topic but I found this astounding as far as the size of the Universe...

The Millennium Simulation featured in this clip was run in 2005 by the Virgo Consortium...

The Cosmic Web, or: What does the universe look like at a VERY large scale? - YouTube

IMHO we do not spend nearly enough on space research.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,114,930 times
Quote:
We plan to celebrate the occasion as a paradox. We will stuff a turkey, which will ultimately end up stuffing us.

We can also be grateful that the Final Whimper is about 10^100 (googol) years off in the future. At that point, there'd be no trace of anything in the universe. Even the black holes would cease to exist. It's possible photons from the last flicker of evaporated black holes might continue on for 10^100^100 (googolplex) years before completely evaporating out of existence.
The End of Everything

Interestingly, while we might wonder about the strangeness of how the universe will end, we also wonder about the strangeness of how it all began. The best theory today is the Big Bang. Here are a couple of scenarios exploring the question of how the universe could come into existence as something out of nothing.

The Universe - Created Out Of Nothing? - YouTube

What Caused the Big Bang? - YouTube
Seems like if it could happen once and end in a whimper, it could happen again out of "nothing."

Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Seems like if it could happen once and end in a whimper, it could happen again out of "nothing."
If the ultimate end is the same as from what it originated, then, yes, it could happen again, although it could take a gazillion years to happen. It might not necessarily be the same identical universe, although with an infinite set of probabilities, static space (nothing), and an infinite amount of time, it's entirely possible that the exact same universe could reappear again and/or not appear. That starts getting close to the weirdness of multiverse and timeline scenarios though. If the universe is all there is, and it's just some strange one-of-a-kind fluke, then when it all ends, it's possible that's the conclusion of the story and there's no sequel called "Universe 2.0".

It's also possible that all kinds of Big Bangs might take place in some kind of infinite field of 'quantum foam' where different universes constantly spring up like popcorn. Maybe it expands out so far that it begins to dimensionally loop in on itself and start all over again. Max Tegmark suggests that the universe may be nothing more than mathematics, that if you strip away all the layers of the universe, you'd find it's all mathematical information that perfectly describes everything that exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space