Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:08 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times

Advertisements

The Mars, Senovilla & Vera publications seem to have caused some uncertainty in the physics community. Here are a couple of examples to be found on PhysicsForums.com discussing the pros and cons of whether or not time is slowing down in the universe. As noted in my previous post, the work has been revised a few times.

Senovilla's Slowing Time Theory

Scientists Say Time is Slowing Down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I just read a really fascinating article in Scientific American about Membrane(Brane) Theory...a form of String Theory in which our BRANE Universe begins to vibrate faster and faster....I do NOT understand what may cause this vibration, but I understand the theories and their ramifications.

In BRANE theory we are trapped on a "flat surface" like a Gecko on a wall. There are 3 dimensions of Space and one of Time and we can travel about within these 4 Dimensions. However if the BRANE moves violently enough, we can simply only hold on for dear life, as if we were on a leaf and being blown about in the wind....we would NOT be able to move. We therefore would need to move faster than light speed to make any headway and this is physically impossible.

From outside the BRANE usually our timelines continue on in a straight line; however if the BRANE vibrates violently enough our timelines are bent so they instead are lines thru space itself....essentially our Membrane would remain 4 Dimensional but ALL 4 DIMENSIONS WOULD instead BE only SPACE!

This means that time stops and has no meaning or direction anymore. WE would NOT be aware that this was in fact happening to us! All our clocks would slow down and eventually stop and we would have NO WAY to know that Time was morphing into Space....everything in the Universe would appear to be accelerating away from us.

This is EXACTLY what astronomers now see and attribute to Dark Energy; There is a good possibility that Dark Energy is not a new phenomena at all; but simply a manifestation of Brane Theory as TIME ENDS and changes into SPACE..... this would explain an awful lot about Dark Energy; since we think BRANE Theory may be Scientifically plausible and essentially correct. TIME...LOL...WILL TELL.

Here are links for understanding this phenomena better and explaining the possible end of Time and our Universe as we understand it. THANX for reading.

Spacetime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Three-dimensional space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fourth dimension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_(theory)

Space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dark energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

String theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Superstring theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M-theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Membrane (M-Theory) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[0710.0820] Is the accelerated expansion evidence of a forthcoming change of signature on the brane?

Is the accelerated expansion evidence of a forthcoming change of signature on th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SDrj4Tjvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHzU3...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVfw1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-mLF...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRBz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6IBoa4FxvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFThORmR-s

WHEW!!!!! .

Will I still be able to live until I turn 95 and see my grand kids and graduate college and become a PTA before we vibrate away?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Will I still be able to live until I turn 95 and see my grand kids and graduate college and become a PTA before we vibrate away?
Yes.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 AM

688 posts, read 1,489,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
The main reason for the video was to show an illustration of something that isn’t visual at all - colliding branes. It also raises the point that the universe itself isn’t perfectly smooth. It’s rather clumpy with particles and waves. Nothing stays in one position indefinitely. Everything is in a state of motion. The only model we have is based on what can be observed and surmised within the universe. Although we have no proof branes actually exist, if they do then it’s not unreasonable to think that they probably aren’t perfectly smooth. They might very well ripple or undulate with peaks and valleys, which is what the video was trying to symbolize.

First, I have to say that this kind of stuff gets far beyond my own comprehension, so feel free to take my views with a grain of salt. Any correction of errors will be greatly appreciated. It’s worth mentioning that branes are thought to exist in a field of dimensions higher than the space-time of our universe. Brane theory adds an extra dimension of space and an extra dimension of time. The space-time between branes is referred to as “Bulk space-time”. These extra dimensions are probably at scales that are too small or too massive to easily detect other than by indirect effects. They may be tightly woven within or wrapped around the fabric of our known dimensions. The LHC might be able to provide some indirect clues about the existence of extra dimensions. In effect, the space-time dimensions of branes as well as the Bulk are different from those we can observe within the universe. Any effects from within the Bulk would likely have an effect on branes. That would also include the effect of gravitational waves on the surface of branes.
Sanjeev Seahra's Home Page
Why Bother with Extra Dimensions?
This page is especially interesting in its description of braneworlds

Regarding the idea that time may be slowing down, Marc Mars, Jose M.M. Senovilla and Rual Vera first submitted their paper, which first appeared on December 27 2000, almost 10 years ago. It had since been revised and resubmitted again in October 3 2007 and January 2008. I don’t know any of the details since I don’t have access to review the full proposal. From the brief info that can be read, their proposal seems to be a prediction of future change of signatures on the brane, based on the rapid expansion of space, and assuming it means the expansion is approaching some kind of singularity and would change from the Lorenzian to Euclidian signature. Note the dates in these links.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 4219 (2001): Signature Change on the Brane
[0710.0820] Is the accelerated expansion evidence of a forthcoming change of signature on the brane?
Is the accelerated expansion evidence of a forthcoming change of signature on th

The dimension of time has importance in that there are numerous ways of more precisely measuring the accuracy of time based on various scales. It doesn’t mean the more precise a measurement is the less important other measurements are though. For example, we generally measure one orbit of the Earth around the Sun (one year) as 365 days. But a more precise measurement shows it’s not exactly 365 days, nor is a day on the Earth exactly 24 hours. I’ll stop there so as not to get too much into the subject of time, even though time is certainly a factor.

I’d be inclined to think that since there are all kinds of things in the universe, such as gravitational waves, stellar explosions, etc., that also cause warps in the fabric of space-time with waves that must certainly be crisscrossing as ripples with each other. Just gravitational waves alone for most of the universe’s history must complicate making measurements of distance in time and space. If a wave is large enough and strong enough, I wonder if that could make very distant objects appear to look farther and faster than they might really be?

Back to the branes (if in fact they actually exist), one thought is that the universe is stuck to a brane. That includes matter, forces and dimensions. It’s also thought that while everything in the universe is stuck to the surface of a brane, only gravitons are able to escape the brane into the Bulk. I don’t think it’s known if gravitons leaking out of one brane could enter another brane. The distance separating branes could be much too far. Regardless, it’ll be interesting to see if the LHC can unravel a few mysteries. If I remember correctly, I think a few tantalizing things have already popped up, but a lot of data needs to be examined before coming to any solid conclusions or announcements. I’m not sure what it is, but I think it may have something to do with extra dimensions.
I don't know what all this means, but all the "branes" are making my brain spin. And since we went back on Eastern Standard Time a few weeks ago, time really does seem to have slowed down!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
I don't know what all this means, but all the "branes" are making my brain spin. And since we went back on Eastern Standard Time a few weeks ago, time really does seem to have slowed down!
But it'lll speed back up again next Spring.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 AM

688 posts, read 1,489,745 times
Quote:
But it'lll speed back up again next Spring.
You got that right. I can't wait for longer hours of daylight and warmer weather. Have a great day.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
The main reason for the video was to show an illustration of something that isn’t visual at all - colliding branes. It also raises the point that the universe itself isn’t perfectly smooth. It’s rather clumpy with particles and waves. Nothing stays in one position indefinitely. Everything is in a state of motion. The only model we have is based on what can be observed and surmised within the universe. Although we have no proof branes actually exist, if they do then it’s not unreasonable to think that they probably aren’t perfectly smooth. They might very well ripple or undulate with peaks and valleys, which is what the video was trying to symbolize.

First, I have to say that this kind of stuff gets far beyond my own comprehension, so feel free to take my views with a grain of salt. Any correction of errors will be greatly appreciated. It’s worth mentioning that branes are thought to exist in a field of dimensions higher than the space-time of our universe. Brane theory adds an extra dimension of space and an extra dimension of time. The space-time between branes is referred to as “Bulk space-time”. These extra dimensions are probably at scales that are too small or too massive to easily detect other than by indirect effects. They may be tightly woven within or wrapped around the fabric of our known dimensions. The LHC might be able to provide some indirect clues about the existence of extra dimensions. In effect, the space-time dimensions of branes as well as the Bulk are different from those we can observe within the universe. Any effects from within the Bulk would likely have an effect on branes. That would also include the effect of gravitational waves on the surface of branes.
Sanjeev Seahra's Home Page
This page is especially interesting in its description of braneworlds

Regarding the idea that time may be slowing down, Marc Mars, Jose M.M. Senovilla and Rual Vera first submitted their paper, which first appeared on December 27 2000, almost 10 years ago. It had since been revised and resubmitted again in October 3 2007 and January 2008. I don’t know any of the details since I don’t have access to review the full proposal. From the brief info that can be read, their proposal seems to be a prediction of future change of signatures on the brane, based on the rapid expansion of space, and assuming it means the expansion is approaching some kind of singularity and would change from the Lorenzian to Euclidian signature. Note the dates in these links.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 4219 (2001): Signature Change on the Brane

The dimension of time has importance in that there are numerous ways of more precisely measuring the accuracy of time based on various scales. It doesn’t mean the more precise a measurement is the less important other measurements are though. For example, we generally measure one orbit of the Earth around the Sun (one year) as 365 days. But a more precise measurement shows it’s not exactly 365 days, nor is a day on the Earth exactly 24 hours. I’ll stop there so as not to get too much into the subject of time, even though time is certainly a factor.

I’d be inclined to think that since there are all kinds of things in the universe, such as gravitational waves, stellar explosions, etc., that also cause warps in the fabric of space-time with waves that must certainly be crisscrossing as ripples with each other. Just gravitational waves alone for most of the universe’s history must complicate making measurements of distance in time and space. If a wave is large enough and strong enough, I wonder if that could make very distant objects appear to look farther and faster than they might really be?

Back to the branes (if in fact they actually exist), one thought is that the universe is stuck to a brane. That includes matter, forces and dimensions. It’s also thought that while everything in the universe is stuck to the surface of a brane, only gravitons are able to escape the brane into the Bulk. I don’t think it’s known if gravitons leaking out of one brane could enter another brane. The distance separating branes could be much too far. Regardless, it’ll be interesting to see if the LHC can unravel a few mysteries. If I remember correctly, I think a few tantalizing things have already popped up, but a lot of data needs to be examined before coming to any solid conclusions or announcements. I’m not sure what it is, but I think it may have something to do with extra dimensions.
Thanx for the extra links..I'll have to read them before responding in more detail... a few of the links I posted earlier in my opening post and those are indeed the authors of the "theory"...I only saw the revised work in progress.....I did not know it was proposed even earlier in this century.

My understanding is that indeed we share gravity with a parallel universe(s) on other branes; this accounts for the weak effect of gravity in our Universe.....as you say everything else....matter, energy, forces etc....are all "stuck" to our brane, except gravity which we share with other branes.....through "the bulk".

The Universe in Brane theory has 11 dimensions that are apparently "curled" up and too small to detect.

M-theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll post more after reading the links you posted and thanx for your insight. Here's a link but it's a bit much for me>>>>> http://www.hindawi.com/journals/aa/2011/829340.html

Old 11-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
ROFL....I'd say so......IF I understand correctly this morphing should take Billions of years.....but it may only be Millions of years. .

Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 AM

There is a new Theory Of Everything which includes LIE 8 GROUPS....which mathematically in a Geometric representation can possibly explain all particles, forces, etc...in Our Universe and all their interactions. This can shed some light onto our discussion and the mathematics is WAY out of my league .

Lie group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:E8PetrieFull.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E8_(mathematics)

http://www.liegroups.org/

http://www.liegroups.org/e8plane.html

A picture of the E8 root system

Zome Model of Gosset's Figure

Reminds me of the old SPIROGRAPH TOY.....and the Mathematics here are way out of my league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBxBQYmPIM4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xHw9zcCvRQ&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhW0GE95fMI

Though it seems "funny"....this may be the "beginnings" of the THEORY OF EVERYTHING......LOL!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
The Mars, Senovilla & Vera publications seem to have caused some uncertainty in the physics community. Here are a couple of examples to be found on PhysicsForums.com discussing the pros and cons of whether or not time is slowing down in the universe. As noted in my previous post, the work has been revised a few times.

Senovilla's Slowing Time Theory

Scientists Say Time is Slowing Down
THANX for those links.....they helped me to understand this concept better. Here are a few interesting links on Grand Unified Theory or Theory Of Everything which may help in understanding Brane Theory etc.....a bit better>>>>>
A Geometric Theory of Everything: Scientific American

Garrett Lisi on his theory of everything | Video on TED.com

[0711.0770] An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything

Elementary Particle Explorer

An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Odtor8VIwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHwOp...eature=related

Very Interesting information and IF true this is a most elegant and "beautiful" solution to how our Universe functions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space