U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,599,453 times

Advertisements

I just read a really fascinating article in Scientific American about Membrane(Brane) Theory...a form of String Theory in which our BRANE Universe begins to vibrate faster and faster....I do NOT understand what may cause this vibration, but I understand the theories and their ramifications.

In BRANE theory we are trapped on a "flat surface" like a Gecko on a wall. There are 3 dimensions of Space and one of Time and we can travel about within these 4 Dimensions. However if the BRANE moves violently enough, we can simply only hold on for dear life, as if we were on a leaf and being blown about in the wind....we would NOT be able to move. We therefore would need to move faster than light speed to make any headway and this is physically impossible.

From outside the BRANE usually our timelines continue on in a straight line; however if the BRANE vibrates violently enough our timelines are bent so they instead are lines thru space itself....essentially our Membrane would remain 4 Dimensional but ALL 4 DIMENSIONS WOULD instead BE only SPACE!

This means that time stops and has no meaning or direction anymore. WE would NOT be aware that this was in fact happening to us! All our clocks would slow down and eventually stop and we would have NO WAY to know that Time was morphing into Space....everything in the Universe would appear to be accelerating away from us.

This is EXACTLY what astronomers now see and attribute to Dark Energy; There is a good possibility that Dark Energy is not a new phenomena at all; but simply a manifestation of Brane Theory as TIME ENDS and changes into SPACE..... this would explain an awful lot about Dark Energy; since we think BRANE Theory may be Scientifically plausible and essentially correct. TIME...LOL...WILL TELL.

Here are links for understanding this phenomena better and explaining the possible end of Time and our Universe as we understand it. THANX for reading.

Spacetime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Three-dimensional space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fourth dimension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_(theory)

Space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dark energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

String theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Superstring theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M-theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Membrane (M-Theory) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[0710.0820] Is the accelerated expansion evidence of a forthcoming change of signature on the brane?

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bi...rXiv:0710.0820

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SDrj4Tjvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHzU3...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVfw1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-mLF...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRBz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6IBoa4FxvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFThORmR-s

WHEW!!!!! .

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 10-31-2010 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,566,889 times
Isn't there enough 'dark energy' on this planet already?

I've seen these specials before and they are VERY INTERESTING. I love listening and learning of all the 'new' discoveries of our Universe. Or is it actually a 'Multi-verse'? Yep. Time WILL TELL.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 AM

713 posts, read 3,138,490 times
Very interesting Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 PM

17,948 posts, read 54,319,448 times
Interesting. If true, I suspect we would start seeing a wave action. There are galaxies that exhibit BLUE shift, as indicated on this thread:
blue shift galaxies

If there was vibration significant enough to cause problems, I would expect to see the shifts of the blue shift galaxies go increasingly towards a red shift. Alternately, the shift deflection could appear to move across the sky, much like a human wave at a sports event. That would be kewl to see.

The concept could give a whole new meaning to eternity, with the universe stuck in a giant tar pit. I'd want to make sure I was doing something really fun at that last instant.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Isn't there enough 'dark energy' on this planet already?

I've seen these specials before and they are VERY INTERESTING. I love listening and learning of all the 'new' discoveries of our Universe. Or is it actually a 'Multi-verse'? Yep. Time WILL TELL.
LOL......I believe a Multiverse seems most likely/plausible with current theory and thanx, I knew I had forgotten to add a link or two.
Multiverse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chaotic Inflation theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Omniverse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Old 11-02-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Very interesting Thanks for sharing.
Thanx.....I found it interesting since Brane Theory is probably correct(MultiverseTheory) and this would explain Dark Energy without any new Physic's laws/energy or particles being necessary......just a part of Brane Theory beginning to "play out". . And now Dark Matter seems to composed of WIMPS and/or SuperWIMPS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weakly_...ssive_particle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Interesting. If true, I suspect we would start seeing a wave action. There are galaxies that exhibit BLUE shift, as indicated on this thread:
blue shift galaxies

If there was vibration significant enough to cause problems, I would expect to see the shifts of the blue shift galaxies go increasingly towards a red shift. Alternately, the shift deflection could appear to move across the sky, much like a human wave at a sports event. That would be kewl to see.

The concept could give a whole new meaning to eternity, with the universe stuck in a giant tar pit. I'd want to make sure I was doing something really fun at that last instant.
I think the theory is very new and while I could find the authors and initial paper....I could not access the publication itself. I too imagine the Branes are vibrating and/or moving in a wavelike fashion; so eventually it would reach an amplitude that could initiate the phenomena and/or the "harmonics" set up by vibrations/oscillations may reach a point where it is self amplifying.....like how certain structures vibrate to pieces during an Earthquake if they are about ten stories in height.

I read the thread link you posted; but this is only a localized instance of blueshift among our local group/cluster of galaxies moving relative to one another; the overall movement of the cluster itself within our Universe is still redshifted.

However if the BIG CRUNCH theory were correct then as the expansion rate of the Universe slows and reverses(this now seems unlikely) then the Universe itself would exhibit a blueshift. Then would time still move forward as the Universe(in essence) moves backward in size????? Something to think about.

I'm just fascinated how this new theory explains Dark Energy entirely without any new Physics except for the initial theory itself; since we still really have NO clue what Dark Energy is and it pervades our entire Universe......this theory seems more plausible as Brane Theory gains acceptance.

Yes the Tar Pit analogy sounds about right...see this thread I did about the END OF TIME......pretty interesting Physics/Cosmology along the same lines as part of this discussion.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/scien...mate-fate.html

Local Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virgo Supercluster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big Crunch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2010, 05:23 PM

5,098 posts, read 8,082,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I think the theory is very new and while I could find the authors and initial paper....I could not access the publication itself. I too imagine the Branes are vibrating and/or moving in a wavelike fashion; so eventually it would reach an amplitude that could initiate the phenomena and/or the "harmonics" set up by vibrations/oscillations may reach a point where it is self amplifying.....like how certain structures vibrate to pieces during an Earthquake if they are about ten stories in height.
From what I understand, the theory isn't all that new. I'll try to look it up, but I think it was first sketched out several years ago. As it stands now, even though a paper has been written about it, the authors state it's not a finished work.

The oscillation or vibration of branes might be so slow that it could be difficult to detect. We have yet to find any confirmation of any faint ancient gravity waves left over from the Big Bang. If the idea that the universe may have resulted from colliding branes, then it's not be too farfetched to consider that branes aren't perfectly smooth - they probably ripple.

If another collision of branes were to take place exactly where our universe is located, that could be a potential problem for the universe. While that might mean the end of the universe's time, it wouldn't necessarily mean the end of time in the broader scheme of things. However, for us and the rest of our universe, it's wouldn't make much difference though.

If the universe were affected by the oscillation of the brane, causing time itself to change (speed up or slow down), I'm not sure we'd really know the difference on a local scale since we'd also be speeding up or slowing down right along with it. Riding the wave so to speak. Where something like that might get a bit trickier is in trying to accurately calculate the distances of remote objects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crQvu4NygAc

Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
From what I understand, the theory isn't all that new. I'll try to look it up, but I think it was first sketched out several years ago. As it stands now, even though a paper has been written about it, the authors state it's not a finished work.

The oscillation or vibration of branes might be so slow that it could be difficult to detect. We have yet to find any confirmation of any faint ancient gravity waves left over from the Big Bang. If the idea that the universe may have resulted from colliding branes, then it's not be too farfetched to consider that branes aren't perfectly smooth - they probably ripple.

If another collision of branes were to take place exactly where our universe is located, that could be a potential problem for the universe. While that might mean the end of the universe's time, it wouldn't necessarily mean the end of time in the broader scheme of things. However, for us and the rest of our universe, it's wouldn't make much difference though.

If the universe were affected by the oscillation of the brane, causing time itself to change (speed up or slow down), I'm not sure we'd really know the difference on a local scale since we'd also be speeding up or slowing down right along with it. Riding the wave so to speak. Where something like that might get a bit trickier is in trying to accurately calculate the distances of remote objects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crQvu4NygAc
Let me know if you can find any more information on this concept....I have read a lot about Brane Theory but never came across this time morphing into space scenario.......if the author's paper is still unfinished then it would seem it's pretty new to me. I found the paper itself but you must pay to access the information.

That's the point of their theory...we would NOT know that anything was happening.....all we could examine would be an ever accelerating expansion of space itself, throughout our Universe and this is exactly what we attribute to Dark Energy.....

This is what makes the assertion so fascinating; since it easily explains what Dark Energy is and so far we have absolutely NO CLUE, which is most unusual given the recent efforts involved in unraveling it's dynamics.

Thanx for the interesting video.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM

5,098 posts, read 8,082,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Let me know if you can find any more information on this concept....I have read a lot about Brane Theory but never came across this time morphing into space scenario.......if the author's paper is still unfinished then it would seem it's pretty new to me. I found the paper itself but you must pay to access the information.

That's the point of their theory...we would NOT know that anything was happening.....all we could examine would be an ever accelerating expansion of space itself, throughout our Universe and this is exactly what we attribute to Dark Energy.....

This is what makes the assertion so fascinating; since it easily explains what Dark Energy is and so far we have absolutely NO CLUE, which is most unusual given the recent efforts involved in unraveling it's dynamics.

Thanx for the interesting video.
The main reason for the video was to show an illustration of something that isnít visual at all - colliding branes. It also raises the point that the universe itself isnít perfectly smooth. Itís rather clumpy with particles and waves. Nothing stays in one position indefinitely. Everything is in a state of motion. The only model we have is based on what can be observed and surmised within the universe. Although we have no proof branes actually exist, if they do then itís not unreasonable to think that they probably arenít perfectly smooth. They might very well ripple or undulate with peaks and valleys, which is what the video was trying to symbolize.

First, I have to say that this kind of stuff gets far beyond my own comprehension, so feel free to take my views with a grain of salt. Any correction of errors will be greatly appreciated. Itís worth mentioning that branes are thought to exist in a field of dimensions higher than the space-time of our universe. Brane theory adds an extra dimension of space and an extra dimension of time. The space-time between branes is referred to as ďBulk space-timeĒ. These extra dimensions are probably at scales that are too small or too massive to easily detect other than by indirect effects. They may be tightly woven within or wrapped around the fabric of our known dimensions. The LHC might be able to provide some indirect clues about the existence of extra dimensions. In effect, the space-time dimensions of branes as well as the Bulk are different from those we can observe within the universe. Any effects from within the Bulk would likely have an effect on branes. That would also include the effect of gravitational waves on the surface of branes.
Sanjeev Seahra's Home Page
Why Bother with Extra Dimensions?
This page is especially interesting in its description of braneworlds
Why Bother with Extra Dimensions?

Regarding the idea that time may be slowing down, Marc Mars, Jose M.M. Senovilla and Rual Vera first submitted their paper, which first appeared on December 27 2000, almost 10 years ago. It had since been revised and resubmitted again in October 3 2007 and January 2008. I donít know any of the details since I donít have access to review the full proposal. From the brief info that can be read, their proposal seems to be a prediction of future change of signatures on the brane, based on the rapid expansion of space, and assuming it means the expansion is approaching some kind of singularity and would change from the Lorenzian to Euclidian signature. Note the dates in these links.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 4219 (2001): Signature Change on the Brane
[0710.0820] Is the accelerated expansion evidence of a forthcoming change of signature on the brane?
Is the accelerated expansion evidence of a forthcoming change of signature on th

The dimension of time has importance in that there are numerous ways of more precisely measuring the accuracy of time based on various scales. It doesnít mean the more precise a measurement is the less important other measurements are though. For example, we generally measure one orbit of the Earth around the Sun (one year) as 365 days. But a more precise measurement shows itís not exactly 365 days, nor is a day on the Earth exactly 24 hours. Iíll stop there so as not to get too much into the subject of time, even though time is certainly a factor.

Iíd be inclined to think that since there are all kinds of things in the universe, such as gravitational waves, stellar explosions, etc., that also cause warps in the fabric of space-time with waves that must certainly be crisscrossing as ripples with each other. Just gravitational waves alone for most of the universeís history must complicate making measurements of distance in time and space. If a wave is large enough and strong enough, I wonder if that could make very distant objects appear to look farther and faster than they might really be?

Back to the branes (if in fact they actually exist), one thought is that the universe is stuck to a brane. That includes matter, forces and dimensions. Itís also thought that while everything in the universe is stuck to the surface of a brane, only gravitons are able to escape the brane into the Bulk. I donít think itís known if gravitons leaking out of one brane could enter another brane. The distance separating branes could be much too far. Regardless, itíll be interesting to see if the LHC can unravel a few mysteries. If I remember correctly, I think a few tantalizing things have already popped up, but a lot of data needs to be examined before coming to any solid conclusions or announcements. Iím not sure what it is, but I think it may have something to do with extra dimensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or