Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Well i'm stoked as i can't wait until it arrives to Mercury and of course it being so close to the sun since i'm a practicing ancient Roman pagan sun worshiper just adds to the nostalgia of the mission
ROFL...I love it...THANK GOD....the POC regulars would never set foot in a scientific and technical forum....they'd have a tin foil hat field day with this. . I'm excited too.....March 17 will be the first day of orbit......

NASA’s Messenger Spacecraft Zeroes In on Mercury | Wired Science | Wired.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
ROFL...I love it...THANK GOD....the POC regulars would never set foot in a scientific and technical forum....they'd have a tin foil hat field day with this. . I'm excited too.....March 17 will be the first day of orbit......

NASA’s Messenger Spacecraft Zeroes In on Mercury | Wired Science | Wired.com
Hey that date march 17 is close to the spring equinox march 20 as we ancient roman pagans who worship the sun love that date

Anyway cool thread here PITTS and i can't wait to see what Messenger tells us about Mercury's hidden secrets .

Old 03-05-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Hey that date march 17 is close to the spring equinox march 20 as we ancient roman pagans who worship the sun love that date

Anyway cool thread here PITTS and i can't wait to see what Messenger tells us about Mercury's hidden secrets .
I did not think about the Equinox......look out the conspiracy and doom/gloom people, with little Scientific knowledge/education, will have a field day with that.

Thanx 6 Foot......I try to compose good threads and I can't wait myself...the video resolution will increase by at least a factor of ten. I'll keep everyone posted with updates as the data comes in and is released to the public. .

Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM

Mercury visible Sunday as NASA craft approaches | Science Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20110314/US.SCI.Mercury/ - broken link)

Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
I saw Mercury and Jupiter together on the horizon just after sunset today. They were forming a line almost parallel to the horizon tonight. Tomorrow, Mercury will be above Jupiter, I think.

Hooray for Messenger, but really, meh, IMO. Mercury is about as interesting as Pluto. While I did work on the New Horizons mission, I don't really get why we're wasting money sending what is essentially a Polaroid on a stack of RTG's out to a planetoid or KBO (take your pick) that we're probably never going to bother with. Why not save our pennies and fund JIMO or another flagship mission like Cassini which might give us data we'll actually USE in the next 200 years?

Why bother sending probes to places we have no intention of going to gather data that we have no intention of using? Better to hunt for useful resources on the nearby celestial bodies or in the Jovian system that could make a difference to human exploration and development of space in the next few centuries.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I saw Mercury and Jupiter together on the horizon just after sunset today. They were forming a line almost parallel to the horizon tonight. Tomorrow, Mercury will be above Jupiter, I think.

Hooray for Messenger, but really, meh, IMO. Mercury is about as interesting as Pluto. While I did work on the New Horizons mission, I don't really get why we're wasting money sending what is essentially a Polaroid on a stack of RTG's out to a planetoid or KBO (take your pick) that we're probably never going to bother with. Why not save our pennies and fund JIMO or another flagship mission like Cassini which might give us data we'll actually USE in the next 200 years?

Why bother sending probes to places we have no intention of going to gather data that we have no intention of using? Better to hunt for useful resources on the nearby celestial bodies or in the Jovian system that could make a difference to human exploration and development of space in the next few centuries.
I am glad you saw Mercury....a better view is coming shortly. I disagree....every Planet etcetera is interesting.....and since Mercury is so close to our Sun we certainly can will be able to extrapolate new information. The high resolution photographs will noe be available until MESSENGER achieves a stable orbit around Mercury.

That said I fully support the future Jupiter/Saturn missions>>>>>

Europa Jupiter System Mission Finalist for Next Joint European/NASA Space Probe - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110207/us_ac/7803686_europa_jupiter_system_mission_finalist_for _next_joint_europeannasa_space_probe - broken link)

Future Planetary Exploration: Saturn Probe

New Horizons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_(spacecraft)

New Mercury link>>>>>

MESSENGER Spacecraft Maps Mercury's Rugged Terrain [Interactive]: Scientific American

Old 03-19-2011, 09:22 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
I'm stoked as Messenger has entered orbit of Mercury as i hope they finally figure out if it's caps have ice or not as talk about a conundrum.

Messenger spacecraft snaps into Mercury’s orbit - floridatoday.com

Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I'm stoked as Messenger has entered orbit of Mercury as i hope they finally figure out if it's caps have ice or not as talk about a conundrum.

Messenger spacecraft snaps into Mercury’s orbit - floridatoday.com
Thanx for the link! It seems there are quite a few mysteries surrounding Mercury's magnetic field; it's "engine" and why the field is so dynamic....information that should help us unravel the mysteries still surrounding the Earth's magnetic "shield", without which all higher lifeforms would be pretty much obliterated.

Here are some newer links>>>>>

NASA milestone: MESSENGER spacecraft enters orbit around Mercury - CSMonitor.com

Messenger probe eases into hellish Mercury's orbit | The Space Shot - CNET News

Messenger Spacecraft Successfully Enters Mercury's Orbit | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Observations: MESSENGER spacecraft successfully enters orbit around Mercury

NASA - NSSDC - Spacecraft - Details

After Messenger Spacecraft's Successful Orbital Burn, Mercury Now Has Its First-Ever Satellite | Popular Science

Success! MESSENGER First Spacecraft to Orbit Mercury

MESSENGER spacecraft enters Mercury orbit - physicsworld.com

Old 03-30-2011, 11:37 AM

First photograph of Mercury from an orbiting spacecraft. The image was taken March 29th at 5:20 AM EDT. The large crater.....upper center of picture is called Debussy. MESSENGER successfully achieved orbit around Mercury on March 17th, 2011.

First-ever Photo of Mercury | Amazing Space Photos | Comcast.net

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debussy_(crater)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...IA11371%29.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(planet)

MESSENGER’s First Image from Orbit of Mercury

NASA Spacecraft Snaps 1st Photo of Mercury from Orbit | NASA's Messenger Mercury Mission | Mercury Photos, Solar System & Planets | Space.com

Spacecraft Snaps First Photos of Mercury in Orbit

Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
I dunno I can't get too excited about Mercury. A bigger, hotter moon. Lifeless, no atmosphere, little if any geologic activity. There are more interesting places to go: Europa, Titan, Io where there are a lot more complex processes going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space