U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 03:04 PM

4,080 posts, read 4,429,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
The next link allows you to send your name to Mars on the Rover....too cool for us nerds/geeks. .

Mars Science Laboratory: Send Your Name to Mars
For anyone wishing to have their name included to be sent to Mars, it should be done as soon as possible. As near as I can tell, unless there's been a change, the launch date is expected to take place somewhere between November 25 and December 18, 2011 (this year). I would think there would be a deadline (although it's not specified of the JPL page) if the chip is to be installed under sterile conditions before launch.

Mars Science Laboratory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:51 PM

15,292 posts, read 11,354,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
For anyone wishing to have their name included to be sent to Mars, it should be done as soon as possible. As near as I can tell, unless there's been a change, the launch date is expected to take place somewhere between November 25 and December 18, 2011 (this year). I would think there would be a deadline (although it's not specified of the JPL page) if the chip is to be installed under sterile conditions before launch.

Mars Science Laboratory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
THANKS....I just signed up so it's still available....there is no deadline on the NASA/JPL page but as you mentiom it must be soon>>>>>

Old 04-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
THANKS....I just signed up so it's still available...
I signed up for the free digital ride several months ago since it's the only way I'll ever get there. See you on the Red Planet.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,491,447 times
Quote:
Unfortunately we are just finishing the I.S.S.......I'd hate to think of abandoning tens of Billions of dollars in hardware and monetary investment....

The facility would/could be a great research asset for monitoring the planet's climate etc.....as well as research into low/no gravity applications along with how humans will react over time to no gravity.

Now without the Shuttle program we must rely on the Russians to transport us to the ISS and they recently raised the fare.

I think we should try to convince the Chinese to invest in the space station and help add to and maintain it; for science projects and to foster international cooperation.......they are the only major space power that was/is not involved with the ISS.

LOL...I think they can fork over a few Billion at least, since we help maintain their trade surplus. .
We paid for our own part in the ISS. If we don't make use of it, I am sure the Russian's or European's would not mind stealing it from us.

I liked how they said that the ISS was a symbol of collaboration between nations but if you look deep down. Every nation or union paid for its own part and uses that part for their own research. So, it is pretty laughable to think that we are actually getting closer to working together.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
We paid for our own part in the ISS. If we don't make use of it, I am sure the Russian's or European's would not mind stealing it from us.

I liked how they said that the ISS was a symbol of collaboration between nations but if you look deep down. Every nation or union paid for its own part and uses that part for their own research. So, it is pretty laughable to think that we are actually getting closer to working together.
First sentence I agree with.....however we are at Russia's "mercy" as far as human access to the ISS is concerned.....and I agree if we don't use it the other collaborators will.

But I disagree with your second statement. The fact that each nation designed and paid for their "own" modules is in of itself a form of sharing the monetary costs and technical knowledge.....hence collaboration.

Since the ISS shares common power and environmental systems between modules and the astronauts must cooperate in order to survive...IMHO...I think your outlook is a bit on the negative side at best.........and antagonistic at worst.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM

For those who have no real idea as to the size of the soon to be launched Curiosity rover, here's a link that shows a few photos of it. The rover is also known as the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL). It's considerably larger than any previous rovers sent to Mars, as large as a small car.

Curiosity Rover Testing in Harsh Mars-like Environment

Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
For those who have no real idea as to the size of the soon to be launched Curiosity rover, here's a link that shows a few photos of it. The rover is also known as the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL). It's considerably larger than any previous rovers sent to Mars, as large as a small car.

Curiosity Rover Testing in Harsh Mars-like Environment
I agree...it is vastly more robust than previous rovers....much larger......longer design lifetime.....much higher power output....able to travel both faster and farther....larger scientific instrument package etc....it truly is a leap forward in both technology and potential.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Gue

24,120 posts, read 5,611,882 times
Signing up was on my to do list & I just got it done!~Thanks!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Signing up was on my to do list & I just got it done!~Thanks!
You're welcome Gue.......remember to print out your certificate and to invite and/or send your friends to Mars. .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space