Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times

Advertisements

I realize that I will sound like a conspiracy nitwit, but...

It was mothballed because our corporate... ummm... sponsors determined that it was not in their best interests for this to carry on. The Texas Ninnie was only doing as he was told. As usual, follow the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Would being able to see the CURRENT rate of reflection across the planet really be all that useful? We would be able to see beginning at the moment it launched forward what the readings are. However, to have any basis, you need to know what they WERE so you can make a comparison. In that aspect it seems like nothing more than a camera that can take neat pictures of the planet and provide some measurements that won't prove or disprove anything. The other benefits it offered have all been combined into other programs.

Since it was built, I see no reason not to launch it.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Would being able to see the CURRENT rate of reflection across the planet really be all that useful? We would be able to see beginning at the moment it launched forward what the readings are. However, to have any basis, you need to know what they WERE so you can make a comparison. In that aspect it seems like nothing more than a camera that can take neat pictures of the planet and provide some measurements that won't prove or disprove anything. The other benefits it offered have all been combined into other programs.

Since it was built, I see no reason not to launch it.
There is no way to definitively measure and quantify the Earth's exact albedo in the past. However IF the Climate Observatory were launched on schedule we would already have ten years worth of data to use for research purposes.

I think you misunderstand......IF every month for example over ten years the Earth was essentially absorbing more energy from infrared wavelengths than we were radiating back into space.....then the planet is warming.....

It's whether the planet is currently warming faster than historical levels. The past is not so much an issue except for how long an interglacial period lasted and how fast the planet heated back up....that data we have though not with precision.

The observatory would have been accurate to a few decimal places and supplied the precision we need. We have been in a prolonged interglacial period and are long over due for a cool down but the exact opposite is what's been happening the past century.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
There is no way to definitively measure and quantify the Earth's exact albedo in the past. However IF the Climate Observatory were launched on schedule we would already have ten years worth of data to use for research purposes.

I think you misunderstand......IF every month for example over ten years the Earth was essentially absorbing more energy from infrared wavelengths than we were radiating back into space.....then the planet is warming.....

It's whether the planet is currently warming faster than historical levels. The past is not so much an issue except for how long an interglacial period lasted and how fast the planet heated back up....that data we have though not with precision.

The observatory would have been accurate to a few decimal places and supplied the precision we need. We have been in a prolonged interglacial period and are long over due for a cool down but the exact opposite is what's been happening the past century.
Well, doesn't that sort of prove the point I was getting at though. The satellite could tell us whether or not the planet is warming by tracking the Earth's albedo. However, without any kind of accurate baseline it still cannot answer the question as to why, which is the key to the whole thing.

I'm not a global warming skeptic in that the evidence points to the fact the planet is getting warmer. What is more elusive and where I still have my doubts is what is causing the planet to warm. That question is something the satellite couldn't answer, but it could help fill in some missing pieces.

I personally see no reason why we shouldn't launch the thing after paying to build it. Even if the data may not prove or disprove anything. To me it would be interesting at the very least to compare the Earth's albedo to the sun's energy output with accuracy. We know how much energy the sun is throwing off, knowing how much our planet absorbs/reflects would fill in a missing piece. My guess is we will find that the sun has a far greater influence on global warming than we previously believed.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, doesn't that sort of prove the point I was getting at though. The satellite could tell us whether or not the planet is warming by tracking the Earth's albedo. However, without any kind of accurate baseline it still cannot answer the question as to why, which is the key to the whole thing.

I'm not a global warming skeptic in that the evidence points to the fact the planet is getting warmer. What is more elusive and where I still have my doubts is what is causing the planet to warm. That question is something the satellite couldn't answer, but it could help fill in some missing pieces.

I personally see no reason why we shouldn't launch the thing after paying to build it. Even if the data may not prove or disprove anything. To me it would be interesting at the very least to compare the Earth's albedo to the sun's energy output with accuracy. We know how much energy the sun is throwing off, knowing how much our planet absorbs/reflects would fill in a missing piece. My guess is we will find that the sun has a far greater influence on global warming than we previously believed.
We know why the Earth is warming, the vast majority of reputable scientists view Global Warming as a reality. But let's assume the warming is not influenced by the 6,000,000,000 plus humans on the planet and our technology. Lets assume it's 'totally" a natural cycle.

That does not change the fact that the planet is warming.....and the Ocean level will rise.....no matter the cause; hundreds of millions of people will literally be under water along with great swaths of some countries and ther largest cities.

On a side note Millions of scientifically illiterate Americans do not even believe that Earth is warming......the satellite could have proven that to within decimal places of accuracy.

I understand what you are saying.....but most scientists are convinced Global Warming is manmade.......there is a slight possibility it could be partially a natural cycle but bare in mind we should be moving back to a glacial period by historical standards.....not an extended interglacial cycle.

I totally agree with your last statement...no matter what you or I think the satellite would have provided valuable data about the Earth....the Sun and our climate. However with the new mission I'm not sure if that will now be possible.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,578 times
Quoting Palpatine , 'Young fool(s) , only now , at the end , do you understand.' Unfortunately , it is everyone who will pay the price for their lack of vision. Maybe if DSE was purported to 'find' unknown fashion secrets , or associated drivel , it would garner full support.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Maybe *some* people realized that the SCO would disprove the global warming scaremonger's, they would loose a huge amount of money and influenced congress to mothball it.....

Eh, Earth's temperature rises, the polar ice caps melt, the sea's rise. Thermohaline circulation stops and we go into another ice age like has happened before man ever arrived on the scene..

Nothing new here people, move along.....

Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Maybe *some* people realized that the SCO would disprove the global warming scaremonger's, they would loose a huge amount of money and influenced congress to mothball it.....

Eh, Earth's temperature rises, the polar ice caps melt, the sea's rise. Thermohaline circulation stops and we go into another ice age like has happened before man ever arrived on the scene..

Nothing new here people, move along.....
How do you figure that......it was the "scaremomgers" as you so lovingly called them who made the observatory become a reality....

It was Bush/Cheny who mothballed and cancelled it.

By the way I firmly believe that the warming trend will in fact collapse the Thermohaline circulation and start another Ice Age....many scientists are aware of this........the melting will eventually bring us back to another glacial period...rendering much of the Northern hemisphere uninhabitable.

You think that's a good thing for civilization??????

Younger Dryas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nsf.gov/news/special_repo...ios_topics.pdf

http://www.chicagocleanpower.org/alley.pdf

CO2 Science

PNAS -- Collected Resources : Rapid Climate Change Special Feature

The Thermohaline Circulation collapse would be quite abrupt on a geological time scale(tens of years)....civilization will probably collapse as well.

I fail to understand your point...you think we should let the warming continue.....leading to catastrophic results for the entire planet????

Remember I studied at Penn State which has the leading Earth Science program in the country....Richard Alley is one of the world's foremost climatologists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space