U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 PM
 
4,095 posts, read 4,532,173 times
Reputation: 1771
Default New Evidence on Dark Energy

A five-year galactic survey involving the study of 200,000 galaxies shows evidence that Dark Energy is a constant force that's expanding space at ever increasing speed. Gravity is not a culprit in the expansion of space.

Dark Energy Is Real, New Evidence Indicates | Dark Energy, Dark Matter & Expansion of the Universe | NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer | Space.com
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 PM
 
15,066 posts, read 8,902,329 times
Reputation: 6677
Hmmm, could dark energy be the cage our masters have enclosed our universe in?

One wonders.......
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Tuscaloosa,AL
135 posts, read 128,246 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Hmmm, could dark energy be the cage our masters have enclosed our universe in?

One wonders.......
One wonders what you are talking about.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 12:42 PM
 
19,070 posts, read 21,775,300 times
Reputation: 26593
Anti-gravity

"The action of dark energy is as if you threw a ball up in the air, and it kept speeding upward into the sky faster and faster," said Chris Blake of the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia. Blake is lead author of two papers on the study appearing in an upcoming issue of the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,756 posts, read 3,160,936 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
A five-year galactic survey involving the study of 200,000 galaxies shows evidence that Dark Energy is a constant force that's expanding space at ever increasing speed. Gravity is not a culprit in the expansion of space.

Dark Energy Is Real, New Evidence Indicates | Dark Energy, Dark Matter & Expansion of the Universe | NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer | Space.com
Uhh..no offense, but this is pretty much old news. Dark energy was first postulated about 10 years ago, when the rates of universal expansion seemed to be faster than gravitational forces alone would allow.
Then about 5 years ago, using instruments like gas-chromatogrpahers and such, which can measure light-bending properties, the ubiquitous presence of Dark Energy was readily accepted by a good 90% of all respectable cosmologists and physicists.
Thanks for the post, though!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,292 posts, read 11,537,513 times
Reputation: 10767
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
A five-year galactic survey involving the study of 200,000 galaxies shows evidence that Dark Energy is a constant force that's expanding space at ever increasing speed. Gravity is not a culprit in the expansion of space.

Dark Energy Is Real, New Evidence Indicates | Dark Energy, Dark Matter & Expansion of the Universe | NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer | Space.com
I'm beginning to wonder if "Dark Energy" really is not a new force at all; but instead time slowing down and changing into space (within Brane Theory) in our particular Universe within the Multiverse?????

http://www.city-data.com/forum/scien...-morphing.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/scien...mate-fate.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:35 PM
 
4,095 posts, read 4,532,173 times
Reputation: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Uhh..no offense, but this is pretty much old news. Dark energy was first postulated about 10 years ago, when the rates of universal expansion seemed to be faster than gravitational forces alone would allow.
Then about 5 years ago, using instruments like gas-chromatogrpahers and such, which can measure light-bending properties, the ubiquitous presence of Dark Energy was readily accepted by a good 90% of all respectable cosmologists and physicists.
Thanks for the post, though!
Yes, you're quite right. However, the recent report is new in that it's about a different method used which also adds another piece of evidence in support that Dark Energy as being behind the accelerated expansion of space in the universe. It has yet to be confirmed, but if it is, then it could provide another confirmation on the subject, independent of other studies, which has arrived at the same conclusion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:42 PM
 
29,990 posts, read 20,037,291 times
Reputation: 12345
Dark energy is driving universe apart: NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer finds dark energy repulsive
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top