Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times

Advertisements

Hi All...

My portable DVD player broke. I can play them on my laptop, but I like having a separate device so I can be online or use Word at the same time I'm watching a movie. Note: I don't own a TV... haven't watched it in 20-yrs, so I don't want a DVD player without a screen.

I can buy a portable (7"+ screen) for $70+ but those screens are very small & I have old lady eyes. I'd change my mind only if I could get one for $25.

I can buy a TV/DVD combo... bonus, in the unlikely event I ever spring for cable... for $159 for a 16" Coby. (Bought my mum the 24" sans DVD & she loves it).

I can buy some newfangled device my friend swears exists. He called it a converter & it would solve a 2nd dilema. I have some original VCR tapes of out-of-print concerts not available on DVD. I can't play the tapes because my old clunker TV/VCR combo broke years ago. I'd love to copy those tapes to DVD. My friend says there's some sort of "converter" which allows you to copy a VCR tape to DVD. Not sure if it has a screen, too. I searched for converters, but don't find any. Is there any such device? Also, most tapes are copyrighted... how would I know if I could actually copy one?

Lastly, I could buy an inexpensive computer to use as a DVD player, a backup computer if mine malfunctions & I could even use it for Netflix streaming while I'm on the other laptop. Looks like $300 is what I'd be paying for a 16" screen.

I'd appreciate brainstorming feedback. BTW, not interested in a Netbook... I'd need a telescope to view the screen. Also, not interested in refurbished. No matter what electronic I buy from coffee pots to blenders to computers... I burn out every bloody device in 5mos-2yrs. I'm careful, don't use them as rugby balls, don't spill coffee into them to see if it'll spark or place them in dank, musty places... I just have a black thumb for all that is electronic.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM

23,863 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Amazon.com: DVD-VCR Combos

Doubtful you can find one that includes a display..

Old 06-02-2011, 06:56 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Amazon.com: DVD-VCR Combos

Doubtful you can find one that includes a display..
Okay, thank you. Didn't know to look for recorders, so that's helpful.
I only have 5 tapes to convert... the prices wouldn't be worth it, unless I could rent one, which might be possible somewhere, or somehow get a TV cheap so the total cost would be worthwhile. I won't scratch it yet though... I'll wait to see what else I uncover.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
If these are commercial tapes they will be copy protected and without the right equipment you will be unable to make copies.

Having said that do you own a mini-DV camcorder or other digital camcorder? If you do some have what is called passthrough, it's one of the better ways to convert analog VCR tapes to digital. If you have one check your manual or post the model and I'll look it up.

As far as playing DVD's dual monitors is another option if your video card supports it.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Okay, thank you. Didn't know to look for recorders, so that's helpful.
I only have 5 tapes to convert... the prices wouldn't be worth it, unless I could rent one, which might be possible somewhere, or somehow get a TV cheap so the total cost would be worthwhile. I won't scratch it yet though... I'll wait to see what else I uncover.
For just 5 tapes look for a service that will convert & download them to dvd's in your local area. Then spend your time to focus on the device you want to play/display the dvd's.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
For just 5 tapes look for a service that will convert & download them to dvd's in your local area.
Most services won't touch commercial tapes and may not even have the proper equipment. Most are going to have simple VCR and DVD recorder setups, quality of the end product will vary greatly depending on the VCR deck and DVD recorder they are using, most are using cheap consumer junk. This equipment by itself will not copy tapes that have copy protection.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Most services won't touch commercial tapes and may not even have the proper equipment. Most are going to have simple VCR and DVD recorder setups, quality of the end product will vary greatly depending on the VCR deck and DVD recorder they are using, most are using cheap consumer junk. This equipment by itself will not copy tapes that have copy protection.
What say we not paint this service with such a negative broad brush?? Let the OP find out for herself the quality of whatever service she might engage for the copy work.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
What say we not paint this service with such a negative broad brush?? Let the OP find out for herself the quality of whatever service she might engage for the copy work.
Why not make the OP aware of the possibility before she spends money for poor quality someplace that might not refund her money? I'll take thecoalmans advice.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:46 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I noticed in a flyer I received today that Costco does conversions. If you have one close it might be worth checking. You never know...

Old 06-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
What say we not paint this service with such a negative broad brush??
Because this is a topic I'm very familiar with, good VCR decks are expensive. Mid range ones in the $400+ range is where you'd want to start for a service like this. Even when they were available it is not what the big services used and the issue arises now they are no longer available even if they wanted to use them. If you're looking for deck now you have tweo choices, cheap combo unit or one the costs thousands. Same thing applies to the recorder which mostly revolves around the quality of the encoding chip.

Good quality conversions are hard to achieve, although it doesn't apply here it's particularly true when dealing with home video because it's rarely shot from a tripod. Even under ideal circumstances with good equipment VHS is inherently noisy and if it's home video you can throw in all that movement. Going directly to MPEG plays havoc with the encoding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space