Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 AM

17 posts, read 59,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryght View Post
I'd go there, but i'd be more afraid of seeing the types of "insects" animals there.... tho the concept of finding a attractive native to do cross breeding if its possible does have my interest... The bad thing is Humans are a Race of Tech. we'd have to monitor and prevent certain humans "War" types from going to the planet... otherwise we may fight with other life.
The cross breeding reminds me a lot to the TV show V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Default depends on the economy

If it had life forms similar to what existed on Earth in the mesozic, I would either give it a pass or go and set up a hunting lodge. For the dinosaurs.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,028 times
I am no scientist or expert, but I think that "life" is common elsewhere in the universe. Not only do I think it's common, but I also believe that life on similar planets would most likely evolve the same way as on earth, so an Earth like planet of similar size, gravity, distance from the sun and atmospheric composition would most likely have very similar life and similar organic processes.

If life exists on Titan though, it will be different to life on earth (methane based, able to survive harsh cold).

Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
I'd probably stay away. And recommend the same of everyone else. We humans have a unique talent for completely screwing up everything we touch. If there ARE other humanly habitable planets, we should keep them pristine.
We'd most likely F up those planets too, consuming all their resources and killing off plants and animals to make space for more humans.

Let's hope we don't encounter an intelligent race that's even more ruthless or reckless than we are in that regard.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I am no scientist or expert, but I think that "life" is common elsewhere in the universe. Not only do I think it's common, but I also believe that life on similar planets would most likely evolve the same way as on earth, so an Earth like planet of similar size, gravity, distance from the sun and atmospheric composition would most likely have very similar life and similar organic processes.

If life exists on Titan though, it will be different to life on earth (methane based, able to survive harsh cold).
There are so many other factors involved, that I highly doubt we will find another planet that is "of similar size, gravity, distance from the sun and atmospheric composition." Our moon also played an important role in the evolution of life on Earth. As does our Sun, and even Jupiter.

A star that is dimmer than our sun might require the plant-life to become darker in color, possibly even black, in order to absorb as much sunlight as possible for photosynthesis to work. A brighter star that our Sol, may require life to develop some sort of protection against excessive UV light.

Planets can be larger than Earth in diameter and still have only 1G, if their density is less than 5.52 g/cm³ (the density of Earth). Conversely, planets can also be smaller than Earth in diameter and still have 1G, if their density is more than 5.52 g/cm³.

We also do not want to be around a star that is more than 1.5 solar masses. These types of stars live short lives, shorter than complex life requires. It took more than three billion years before complex life developed on Earth during the Cambrian Epoch some 540 million years ago. A star with 1.5 solar masses has a life-expectancy of only three billion years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space