Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:49 PM

3,327 posts, read 2,136,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Big Bang: The pictures on the internet show Universe relatively flat. If it was created by a big bang, things would be going in all directions and not a flat round formation. Can we even theorize on the laws of physics that make it this flat ?

Additionally, telescopes are picking changing distances between solar systems. Solar systems move apart, and sometimes really fast, maybe even faster then the speed of light.
The observable universe appears flat because we're only able to see the part of it within our horizon.

As for the other point, the following conceptualizes why this is happening: Curious About Astronomy: Is the universe expanding faster than the speed of light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:40 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:

Big Bang: The pictures on the internet show Universe relatively flat. If it was created by a big bang, things would be going in all directions and not a flat round formation. Can we even theorize on the laws of physics that make it this flat ?

Things are moving apart in all directions. That's how we got to the big bang, by learning that things are moving apart and working backward to the explanation of why. You do understand that the pictures you are looking at are very, very, very tiny snapshots? And yes, we can theorize on the physics behind the flatness. Inflation is the most talked about candidate.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:14 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
My response to every space know it all.

When we know about the ocean as much as we know about space now, we believed in folklore and magic sea creatures.

If you think about though, anything that is bound by the dimension of time can not "always existed". It has to have a starting point in time and an ending point. Unless your saying that the object does not exist in 4 dimensional universe.

We have photographs made by telescopes and me try to make sense of em.

The OP even brought up religion.

If we could find out how time passes at the epee-center of the universe, and if we could find out what is there, we might have something to talk about.

Additionally, telescopes are picking changing distances between solar systems. Solar systems move apart, and sometimes really fast, maybe even faster then the speed of light.

SO far, we made a huge metal pipe, hid some people inside and put em into space. They orbited the earth and even stepped on the moon.

We need more access to space. As far as space exploration and space theories are concerned we at infant stages.
Can you link to one of these pictures that you are referring to that you are describing as flat.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times

I was thinking, the Universe existed since I can remember, so it must have been there all the time.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:37 AM

11,026 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Stunning photo!

If the universe began with the expansion of space and time then it has existed since the beginning of time, i.e. forever. In the universe's time frame that is. Does space and time exist within a black hole?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:11 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Here's a pix of z8_GND-5296....I believe it's probably the farthest galaxy or one of the farthest discovered when looking back in time after the Big Bang. It is 13.1 billion years old.

From the looks if it it may be only a matter of time before technology helps us to get even closer to the alleged formation of our universe. And with that perhaps we may get an opportunity to unveil the secrets of our beginnings. Not only will get closer to the event but it may also give us some clues as to what even prefaced the Bang. Maybe it can help to answer the question of whether our universe ALWAYS existed and to expound on the absolute physics of that time. I think that would be incredible to explore.

http://www.science.tamu.edu/img/arti...ring_Tilvi.jpg

Old 02-05-2015, 08:44 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Stunning photo!

If the universe began with the expansion of space and time then it has existed since the beginning of time, i.e. forever.
It's from the Book of Creation, only instead of universe the word G-d is used It starts with "In the begging of time.." It describes exactly what you are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
In the universe's time frame that is. Does space and time exist within a black hole?
My understanding of the black hole is that pulls in space and time and thus I think they do exist, only differently. Popular science fiction suggests that falling though the back hole is both instant and for ever.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:50 PM

495 posts, read 611,078 times
It is arguable that electromagnetic waves (i.e particles of light) have no start time or end time. They do in fact travel at the universal speed limit and they do have a Lorentz Factor of infinity

Old 02-28-2015, 10:15 PM

471 posts, read 621,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Where did the universe come from?

Personally, I agree with a lot of what this author has written. The premise is 'nothing' does not exist, because we exist and we are something. Something cannot come from nothing.

Based on this, we can dismiss the Big Bang theory because it theorizes an explosion came from nothing to create the Universe.

This leaves us with two options. A mysterious source of energy created the Universe or the Universe always existed. Some would refer to that energy as God. If God created the Universe, he/she/it would have had to have existed prior to the Universe.

But as the author states in the article, "If we ruthlessly apply Ockham's razor to the idea of introducing God into the model we are left with the universe always existing. However, for those of you of a religious nature allow me to make myself clear. I am NOT saying (here) that God does not exist, only that the idea of introducing God into the equation is not necessary in order to make it work."
The big bang theory does not state we come from nothing. It states that all matter in the known universe was contained in a super dense small sphere that exploded creating the universe.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 PM

11,026 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say all energy or mass energy was contained in a small sphere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space