U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:44 PM

222 posts, read 196,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
The observations of the Universe expanding are based on light sources that are 13 billion years old. There is no way to tell if the Universe is expanding right now.
So much wrong, don't know where to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 PM

495 posts, read 485,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Where did the universe come from?

Personally, I agree with a lot of what this author has written. The premise is 'nothing' does not exist, because we exist and we are something. Something cannot come from nothing.

Based on this, we can dismiss the Big Bang theory because it theorizes an explosion came from nothing to create the Universe.

This leaves us with two options. A mysterious source of energy created the Universe or the Universe always existed. Some would refer to that energy as God. If God created the Universe, he/she/it would have had to have existed prior to the Universe.

But as the author states in the article, "If we ruthlessly apply Ockham's razor to the idea of introducing God into the model we are left with the universe always existing. However, for those of you of a religious nature allow me to make myself clear. I am NOT saying (here) that God does not exist, only that the idea of introducing God into the equation is not necessary in order to make it work."
I believe the universe has always existed, but I am not sure if the universe is infinity or a very unimaginably large repeating cycle of finite events that ultimately substantially repeat.

Evidence supporting a finite universe is the speed of light and the Hubble telescope, the fact that measuring dimensions have absolute mins and maxes also points to finite existence

Speed of light constant makes it a fact that the spread of info is not infinitely fast but 186,000 miles per second
Temperature is based on average heat and it's based on atom movement speeds so we can say with a Max speed limit, there's an absolute Max temperature and a min of absolute zero

Finite number of elements in the periodic table

Nothing smaller than the proton in the nucleus of an atom points to a plank minimum size
Time to cover that length is a plank time
We have the mole equation and the integer perfection of element atomic numbers of protons
Hubble telescope they captured the noise of Big Bang from view of outer Galaxy stars

With all this I do not think the universe is infinite, but I do think it's finite and repetitious .....and time being relative, it's just a big 4-dimensional enclosure ....with baby universes via black holes...so even bigger than universe but nontheless...not infinite

Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 PM

11,591 posts, read 8,287,030 times
I think that the Universe has always existed even before the big bang and collapses and creates a new big bang and is eternal. The universe does not have to follow rules that men find reasonable. Or we may have a multiverse system that is also eternal

and maybe something can come from nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or