U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did men really land on the moon?
Yes 51 91.07%
No 2 3.57%
I don't know 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 AM

3,359 posts, read 6,612,998 times

Advertisements

I think understanding the effects of radiation on the human body, will better help us to understand the probability of long term space travel...

Here's a few things I found out...and will leave behind links for future reference...

But this first part is me para-phrasing...

Fed Gov recommended limit for radiation exp...

Astronauts...25,000 millirems per flight (that is a lot, as you wills see in a sec)

Average person...300-400 millirems (think that's per year)

Feds recommend this formula to check life time exposure...or safe exposure...
Your age x 1000

So if your 45, that means you should have no more than 45,000 millerems of radiation accumilated in your body.

And for a fetus...it's like 500 millirems total, or 50 mil per month...
That must be taken into consideration if man plans on ever colonizing space...

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/1994/safe-0105.html

Para phrasing...(will leave link below)

There are various things we call radiation, but the types that damage humans are...
a. electromagnetic waves
b. atomic nuclei

Which do damage through ionization

This occurs when the radiation knocks the electrons in our atoms off their orbits. To much exposure causes damage that is impossible for cells to replace.

Radiation absorbed in tissue is measured in 'rads'...

rad= 1/100 of joule per kilogram of tissue
gray = 100 x this value (international)

Small amounts of ambient radiation can be found everywhere on earth, and just about all life forms are adapted to deal with this.
Average exposure is 2.4 millisieverts per year.

In space the radiation levels may be dozens or 100's of times this value.

Some effects heavy radiation can have on the body...
a. Kills sprm cell reproduction...another thing that has to be taken into consideration during prolonged space flight, cause if all the sprm cells die off in the astronauts, reproduction will not be an option...and colonies would die off...

b. To much exxposure wipes out red blood cells (haven't studied romifications of that. (oxygen)

And here's where it gets complicated but I left link below...

For every sievert past one, the chance of death within 30 days increases by 15%...and the scale continues...

How Much Radiation can the Human Body Safely Receive?

Anyways...I'm still reading up on radiation...and haven't gotton to space exposure yet...

Thus I haven't concluded anything yet...but felt it's important for people to understand the perils of space travel...or the radiation factor...

Added note: 'Studies published in 1996 by the International Journal of Radiation Biology, showed that chromosomal changes in the blood can occur in astronauts with as little as 2 weeks in space'.

(also) 'Space radiation targets certain stem cells in the brain neccessary for learning and mood control'...

All this must be taken into consideration if a trip to Mars is ever planned...

So far we've learned long term exposure to space radiation

a. destroys sprm cells...(no reproduction)
b. destroys red blood cells...(no oxygen transfer)
c. Changes chromosomes in DNA...
d. Makes you 'dense'...or dumb...by the time astronauts get to Mars, it could be as if they had 'down syndrome', or been knocked over the head with a pipe, or drunk.

These are things people at NASA already know, but don't share with the public...

Last edited by Time and Space; 01-03-2012 at 12:45 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 07:20 AM

3,109 posts, read 8,806,628 times

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205873/

Check out the movie, "the dish". It is about the Australian telescope, Parkes. They were monitoring the first apollo moon landing and had a power failure. They were afraid to tell NASA officials so they used the old fashion method of direct line of sight. They pointed their telescope at the moon and were able to pick up communications with the astronaut crew. I don't think you get better proof than that.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:33 AM

34,320 posts, read 59,657,149 times
From research I didn't do on the CD Voodoo forum, I firmly believe that harnessing the energy present in the Van Allen Belts will be the precursor of the Dawn of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Now we're on track...

Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 PM

33,812 posts, read 17,312,451 times
So, Time and Space, are you prepared to concede that a fast passage through the Van Allen belts can be done safely?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So, Time and Space, are you prepared to concede that a fast passage through the Van Allen belts can be done safely?
Why are you on my back??

I'm trying to take us all on a learning lesson here....

Can you read the top post on this page...read it...learn about radiation...and the effects it has on the body after long term exposer...

I haven't done enough research yet to confirm anything....

I'm not apart of any cult where I have to blindly go along with anything...If i concede to anything, it's because I've done my own independent research, not because I have the need to be apart of some cult where i feel I must conform, just to conform...

Old 01-03-2012, 12:56 PM

53,390 posts, read 42,842,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
NASA probe enters lunar orbit

NASA has a probe that is orbiting around the moon now...34 miles above the surface...

I'm tired of the excuses...i want proof that man was there...show me the flag or flags, show me the moon buggy, show me all the other stuff that was left behind...no more excuses with this new probe...

I mean if google map can zoom in on my home and car...then surely the technology has been out long enough for NASA equiptment to be able to zoom in on a space buggy left up there...
Such a disingenous post, trying to cast aspersions by the "lack of evidence" and then when pointed out that the evidence has been released you backtrack and claim it could be faked.

They've been bouncing a laser off a mirror left behind up there for decades to measure distance to the moon etc. So pretty much the global scientific community along with the Russians during the cold war etc etc. are all "in on it" because they love the USA.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM

33,812 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Quote:
Why are you on my back??
Oh, my bad. Reading the OP, I thought you were looking for proof of a moon landing, not here to engage in a soliloquy on long-term radiation effects. Carry on, then.

Quote:
Can you read the top post on this page...read it...learn about radiation...and the effects it has on the body after long term exposer...
No offense, but there's nothing there to surprise anyone with a passing interest in manned spaceflight.

Quote:
If i concede to anything, it's because I've done my own independent research, not because I have the need to be apart of some cult where i feel I must conform, just to conform...
An admirable stance. I suggest checking out the clavius.org link above. Lots of great info.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM

53,390 posts, read 42,842,974 times
Quote:
I'll start with this...Governments and their 'black opts' have always depended on the masses having very simpliced mindsets as demonstrated by the mindset 'See, Russia didn't do this, so America couldn't of done that'.....

The answer to the question will most likely always remain 'x' factor...

But one can say it's not a stretch to ponder that all sorts of back room deals could have been made...

Money is one...something as simple, yet powerful as money or agreed funding, or black male, 'you turn the eye on this, we'll turn the eye on that' ect ect...

There's a lot of agreements Governments make with each other, that the public never finds out about, unless some scandal breaks out, like Iran Contra, or more recently the 'Fast and Furious debocal'...

I also know back then, The Soviet Union had no issue with eliminating anyone (citizen, scientist or not) who could, or would jepordize such an agreement...

So what I'm saying knowing what we know about how Governments operate, and KGB, CIA and other issue settles...I'm not so sure if your premise ends the 'x' factor...

Not knowing the 'why' doesn't mean it didn't happen...it just means me and you don't know the 'x'...Kapeesh?
Black opts? Black Male? Simpliced mindsets?

Well fortunately we have you on the case with your "x-factor" explanation that no matter what you are shown it could always be fake or a cover-up and thus you have staked out that the landings are fake and no one can possibly produce proof. Victory is yours, you are the smertest!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, my bad. Reading the OP, I thought you were looking for proof of a moon landing, not here to engage in a soliloquy on long-term radiation effects. Carry on, then.

No offense, but there's nothing there to surprise anyone with a passing interest in manned spaceflight.

An admirable stance. I suggest checking out the clavius.org link above. Lots of great info.
The post on the top of this page is post 51.....(which is mine)

Ever heard of 'Area 51'?

coincidence?...or message?

Just something for you to ponder....

Anyways...back to the effects radiation has on the body after prolonged exposer to it...one of those effects is that 'you become sterile'...

So much for colonies reproducing in space...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or