Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did men really land on the moon?
Yes 51 91.07%
No 2 3.57%
I don't know 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM

521 posts, read 860,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Somewhere in a marketing department there are a group of guys fist-bumping each other.
Thanks for making me laugh out loud. That was classic!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:17 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I thought this issue was done with me...until today, while walking past a video rental place...I noticed a movie titled Apollo 18...(new release)

So I rented it...I have not watched it yet...well...just about 15 seconds of it...

Seems like a documentary...says they found lost footage...

So, I will sit back with an open mind and watch this movie or 'documentary' titled 'Apollo 18'...and maybe after watching this, I'll have a better understanding of what went on....I will watch it with an open mind and trust that these scientist who made this movie know what they're talking about...

I'll report in later after viewing some of this film...
Sigorney Weaver made a series of excellent documentaries about space exploration, you should rent those next.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
I thought this issue was done with me...until today, while walking past a video rental place...I noticed a movie titled Apollo 18...(new release)

So I rented it...I have not watched it yet...well...just about 15 seconds of it...

So, I will sit back with an open mind and watch this movie or 'documentary' titled 'Apollo 18'...and maybe after watching this, I'll have a better understanding of what went on....I will watch it with an open mind and trust that these scientist who made this movie know what they're talking about...

The Blair Witch Project was also "claimed" to be a documentary, as are a number of other films. They aren't. They're entirely fictional. Claiming to be a documentary is a "hook" aimed at attracting paying customers.

Apollo 18 was cancelled because of budget cuts. Harrison Schmidt, who was the only professional scientist up to that point, was scheduled to fly on Apollo 18, but was bumped up to Apollo 17, after 18 was cut. Apollo 17 was originally scheduled to land on the far side of the Moon, but that too was changed because it meant the astronauts would have been out of touch for the entire mission. Too risky and not enough funding to set up a proposed communication system (lunar satellites) to remain in touch with Mission Control.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:

Don't bother, it is a FICTIONAL movie produced for a single purpose of MAKING MONEY.

You should also rent the movie Avatar and see how we have found life on a plant with 10 foot tall blue people.

I'm not sure you should be let out to wander the streets without your caretaker, in light of your premise you started this thread over, where you demand proof
Quote:

I'm tired of the excuses...i want proof that man was there...show me the flag or flags, show me the moon buggy, show me all the other stuff that was left behind...no more excuses with this new probe...
then find a fictional movie that you think proves your conspiracy theory. Your care takers really need to keep a tight rein on you.

and please please work on your spelling..... the little red squiggly line under words are there for a reason.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 01-10-2012 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
The Blair Witch Project was also "claimed" to be a documentary, as are a number of other films. They aren't. They're entirely fictional. Claiming to be a documentary is a "hook" aimed at attracting paying customers.

Apollo 18 was cancelled because of budget cuts. Harrison Schmidt, who was the only professional scientist up to that point, was scheduled to fly on Apollo 18, but was bumped up to Apollo 17, after 18 was cut. Apollo 17 was originally scheduled to land on the far side of the Moon, but that too was changed because it meant the astronauts would have been out of touch for the entire mission. Too risky and not enough funding to set up a proposed communication system (lunar satellites) to remain in touch with Mission Control.
All I have to say is this movie/documentary will scare the h....L out of you....

Although it dealt with a different premise than I thought it would, it brought up a whole different scenerio that is very 'dark'...

A nightmare for those who know about silicon based ____________.
(don't want to give it away)....

I've read in the past about such possibilities...(or maybe it's carbon based?)(or maybe we're the ones who are carbon based)...whatever...

It was a scary film....

Very nightmarish....cause there was really no defence against such and such...other than quarantine....isolation...

I mean who would want to be put in such a situation like that in real life?...left alone, to face such a miniacle, _____________.

No telling what dwells out there...

As far as whether it really occured or not...I don't know...but I do know NASA allowed it to be released...and use their Space Patches...

So NASA had to have given it the thumbs up...

And I never saw no 'disclaimer' at the beggining or end of the film saying 'This is all fictional'....

Why would NASA even allow the release of such a film?

Unless it's a distraction....in other words 'OK, let's give them what they want...if they want 'far fetched' scenerios, lets give them one, to throw them off the 'true' trail....

NASA, if your trying to throw me off, your going to have to be much more clever than that....

Is this film nothing more than a distraction?, kind of like throwing a bone to the 'conspiracy types?'....

A relief valve maybe?

Why would NASA approve this film?

Your trying to satisfy a certain lot of people out here NASA...by throwing them some sci-fi...as if to pacify them...as if to say 'OK, we'll play around with this conspiracy theory stuff...show them how ridiculious it is, and now we can move on'.....

A 'film' virus of sorts, to throw off the 'T' cells...

Clever...very clever...

Continued on next post...

Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
To the casual reader...

This film kind of takes my premise of 'Did man ever make it to the surface of the moon', and spins it in a slightly different direction of 'If man did make it to the moon, what kind of horrors would he have faced once there'....

This filmography deals more with what could go wrong once up there.
And was presented in a very realistic way...for those who can appreciate such things...

And I found that Russian lander to be very 'sexy' to say the least...I've always had a thing
for Russian hardware...their stuff is always 'bulkier' and 'steroided up'....
Their fighters, their older bombers...their stuff just always has a more futuristic look to it...

Anyways...I'm not going to give away the movie...you must see it yourself to understand...
It will either satisfy you, or create more questions...

To the casual reader...be glad your mind is simple, and that your not able to imagine or comprehend the numerious types of 'threats' or 'lifeforms' that could be awaiting you out there...

Be glad your only concern is buying a happy meal at wendies, and not tasked with trying to prevent the next super out break of who knows what...

Be glad all you have to do is take a bath tonight...for the weight of those who 'know', those who are tasked with protecting you, is daunting...

If such horrors do indeed lie out there like that...well...

Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
.I've always had a thing
for Russian hardware...their stuff is always 'bulkier' and 'steroided up'....
Their fighters, their older bombers....
Oh, man. And you were on SUCH a roll.

Sorry. You just outsmarted yourself. Did yourself in by too much. Less is more in fiction. (As in life.)

Love,

Olga Korbet

Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Another documentary I would recommend detailing the first official contact between Earth and an alien race.

Star Trek First Contact with Vulcans (April 5, 2063).wmv - YouTube

Oh, by the way, Soviet/Russian equipment is crap. We're only finding out about the rocket explosions now. During the high days of the space race they had dozens of launch pad incidents which killed hundreds, including their chief rocket designer and several astronauts. They also had a number of re-entry accidents resulting in fatalities including a catastrophic decompression os a capsule and the tangling of parachute lines. And yes, we lost two shuttles.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
No telling what dwells out there...

As far as whether it really occured or not...I don't know...but I do know NASA allowed it to be released...and use their Space Patches...

So NASA had to have given it the thumbs up...

And I never saw no 'disclaimer' at the beggining or end of the film saying 'This is all fictional'....

Why would NASA even allow the release of such a film?

Unless it's a distraction....in other words 'OK, let's give them what they want...if they want 'far fetched' scenerios, lets give them one, to throw them off the 'true' trail....

NASA, if your trying to throw me off, your going to have to be much more clever than that....

Is this film nothing more than a distraction?, kind of like throwing a bone to the 'conspiracy types?'....

A relief valve maybe?

Why would NASA approve this film?
Good grief, you're letting your imagination go wild and overwhelm your common sense. NASA can't prohibit people from using such clips. They're public domain. Anyone can use them any way they want. The Blair Witch Project didn't show any disclaimers either. But after throngs of people began descending on the community, started trespassing and vandalizing private property, and generally disturbing the local residents, all because they wanted to search for the Blair Witch themselves, the film directors stated it was just a fictional, low budget movie. It wasn't based on anything real. There was no group of students that disappeared leaving behind nothing but the camera and tapes. But that was the premise of the movie. The movie said the tapes documented the event. It's just a gimmick that works with the movie to give the viewers thrlls and chills.

The whole purpose of movies like the Blair Witch Project or Apollo 18 is to scare the pants off the viewers. The reason why these movies work as they do is by stimulating imagination with fear of the dark instincts and perceived dangers. Think about it. How much danger are you exposed to by watching a video in the safety of your own home? LOL!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And yes, we lost two shuttles.
We also lost three astronauts from a catastrophic fire inside Apollo 1 while it was still on the launch pad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space