U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 AM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times
Reputation: 7645

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I suspect it'll be a cover for a space-based weapons alliance to contain China. All in the interests of science and the good of mankind of course...
The United States doesn't need them for space based weapons, we already have the XB-37B.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 AM
 
Location: PRC
3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
Reputation: 2950
As you are the starter of the thread why dont you have something to say about the ability and the will of the space agencies to build a base on the moon? Isn't that what the forum is for - discussion about a topic?

I have asked -

why you think they will be returning to the Moon to build a base there after ignoring it for so long?

What makes you think they will actually do this when all indications point to mars as being more sexy and preferred for exploration? I have not read or heard any credible reason why the Moon was leapfrogged in favour of Mars. Particularly since logic would say that the Moon was closer and more convenient.

Why are the space agencies bringing this up now when it is unlikely to receive money from Congress?

I just think that there are so many questions which remain unanswered about the Moon, and no-one seems to want to address them properly. Any thinking person would wonder about this.

Interesting thread on the unmanned shuttle here Say that it "disappeared" for 2 weeks and i think it could have gone anywhere in 2 weeks. The orbit was changed drastically to a much higher one after it re-appeared. Of course it could have 'gone' somewhere and returned rather than just been lost from view. That is - if there is anywhere to go to.

Last edited by ocpaul20; 02-03-2012 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: add XB-37 link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 AM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times
Reputation: 7645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
As you are the starter of the thread why dont you have something to say about the ability and the will of the space agencies to build a base on the moon? Isn't that what the forum is for - discussion about a topic?

I have asked -

why you think they will be returning to the Moon to build a base there after ignoring it for so long?

What makes you think they will actually do this when all indications point to mars as being more sexy and preferred for exploration? I have not read or heard any credible reason why the Moon was leapfrogged in favour of Mars. Particularly since logic would say that the Moon was closer and more convenient.

Why are the space agencies bringing this up now when it is unlikely to receive money from Congress?

I just think that there are so many questions which remain unanswered about the Moon, and no-one seems to want to address them properly. Any thinking person would wonder about this.

Interesting thread on the unmanned shuttle here Say that it "disappeared" for 2 weeks and i think it could have gone anywhere in 2 weeks. The orbit was changed drastically to a much higher one after it re-appeared. Of course it could have 'gone' somewhere and returned rather than just been lost from view. That is - if there is anywhere to go to.
As I've repeated and repeated here for you, you have questions, go find answers.

You are just like all of Gen X, you want everything handed to you on a silver platter.

I believe what NASA information I have read, I have no need to dig deeper, there are more intriguing subjects I am looking into at the moment. You, on the other hand require more information, well, get up off your ass and get it.

You believe in these conspiracies, flesh them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 PM
 
Location: PRC
3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
Reputation: 2950
What you dont seem to understand is that I dont really want you to answer the questions I ask.

I want you to THINK about them and not just dismiss them. I have convinced myself and I dont need to convince anyone else, but I do want y'all to stop being so naieve and to stop believing everything NASA and the authorities say.

There are larger agendas which usually have to do with money and power. To ignore these underlying currents and agendas is the naievety I am talking about. Open your eyes and join the dots, can you really tell me that these organisations and governments have your wellbeing at heart.

If you think they do, I am sad, but pleased for you, because all the indications I see, tell me they have not my wellbeing or the wellbeing of the population as a core concern. If you are just trotting out what you have been told to say, then I hope you find peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 11:01 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times
Reputation: 7645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What you dont seem to understand is that I dont really want you to answer the questions I ask.

I want you to THINK about them and not just dismiss them. I have convinced myself and I dont need to convince anyone else, but I do want y'all to stop being so naieve and to stop believing everything NASA and the authorities say.
I really don't have the time to discuss conspiracy theories, plus this is the Science and Technology forum not Comedy Central.

Quote:
If you think they do, I am sad, but pleased for you, because all the indications I see, tell me they have not my wellbeing or the wellbeing of the population as a core concern. If you are just trotting out what you have been told to say, then I hope you find peace.
Geez, like I told you earlier, I *highly* suggest you go over to the P&OC forum and follow the chemtrail thread. In it you will find a couple of people that agree 100% with your conspiracy ideas.

I kinda doubt you'll find much agreement with conspiracy theories here, reality, not fantasy is discussed here.

Oh, and BTW, instead of attempting to hijack this thread with "what were both Grail spacecraft doing for 145 days" open a new thread with that topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times
Reputation: 7645
Unlike the Apollo program missions, which took three days to reach the Moon, GRAIL will make use of a three- to four-month low-energy trans-lunar cruise via the Sun-Earth Lagrange point L1 to reduce fuel requirements, protect instruments and reduce the velocity of the two spacecraft at lunar arrival to help achieve the extremely low 50 km (31 mi) orbits with separation between the spacecraft (arriving 24 hours apart) of 175 to 225 km (109 to 140 mi).[8][9] The very tight tolerances in the flight plan leaves little room for error correction leading to a launch window lasting one second and providing only two launch opportunities per day.[10]


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Wasilla Alaska
119 posts, read 201,456 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As I've repeated and repeated here for you, you have questions, go find answers.

You are just like all of Gen X, you want everything handed to you on a silver platter.

I believe what NASA information I have read, I have no need to dig deeper, there are more intriguing subjects I am looking into at the moment. You, on the other hand require more information, well, get up off your ass and get it.

You believe in these conspiracies, flesh them out.
So if you're looking down on Generation X, you must have been born before 1960?

Generation X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top