U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM

5,203 posts, read 8,205,785 times

Advertisements

An interesting article by Discovery News regarding the question about the likelihood of advanced intelligent life elsewhere and some possible reasons why we haven't heard from any. The article features views of mathematician Thomas Hair and physicist Woods Halley. Number crunching suggests that extraterrestrials should be out there.

Quote:
Hair, who presented his research at the Mathematical Association of America in Boston earlier this month, based his approximation of what he considered to be extremely conservative estimates for how long it would take a society to muster up the resources and technological know-how to leave its home world and travel to another star. Even at the relatively sedate pace of 1 percent of light-speed, the aliens would arrive at their nearest neighbor star in about 500 years.
Quote:
"I think there are three options," Halley told Discovery News. "Life is rare, which I think has a reasonable probability of being correct. Life is weird -- every time you run into it, it's extremely different from the last time you saw it. Life is dull, meaning you will find something that looks a lot like life on Earth and our problems (in detecting life) are technical.

"I've come to the view that they’re all possible, but the preponderance of evidence most likely fits the first -- we are rare,” Halley said.
http://news.discovery.com/space/alie...nd-120130.html

Same article, with a few additional related links.
If E.T. exists, he's avoiding us, scientists say - Technology & science - Space - Discovery.com - msnbc.com

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM

11,817 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Hold your fist to the night sky. Now move it. This is the space behind your fist.

I don't care how intelligent you are. I don't care how fast you can move. The odds of any civilization finding life in the vastness that is outer space... infinitesimal.

I believe it was Carl Sagan that said he had zero doubt there is life out there but no way could "they" find us as often as people claim to have seen things because of the vastness of the universe.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:03 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
I am absolutely convinced there is intelligent life throughout the universe but with the size of the universe I wouldn't expect to be contacted or contact another civilization for a few million years.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM

10,714 posts, read 13,439,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I am absolutely convinced there is intelligent life throughout the universe but with the size of the universe I wouldn't expect to be contacted or contact another civilization for a few million years.
I agree with this. I often wonder if they are going about their day, Working, playing, living or doing what ever is normal in their civilization on a day to day basis and thinking the same thing.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
I wonder if there are other types of life forms throughout the universe besides carbon based...

Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,366,687 times
Intelligent life on this planet is only a few thousand years old. When intelligent life arises on any planet, lets say that the duration of that world's run is a liberal ten thousand years, before some event distupts their survival., assuming life forms ever reach intelligence in the first place. What are the odds that two planets in relatively close proximity will both experience their salad days during that same very brief period of time, and call out to each other? (I say 10,000 years, because a rational organism that CAN throw a monkey wrench into the gears, WILL. If there is one universal constant, that's it.)

In the known life of the universe,entire star systems and galaxies came and went billions of years ago, taking life with them. They're now long gone. Just as many have not gotten there yet. The length of time in which a planet is capable of sustaining life is only a very tiny flicker of time, between the birth and the death of the planet. Even if there are a thousand planets within our reach that could have passed through a life-bearing stage, there is only one chance in a thousand that it is in that stage right now, and that's us.

Since the beginning of the universe, intelligent life could have formed on a billion planets, and the odds are still overwhelming that there would never have been two close enough together at the same time to communicate with each other. And a thousand raised to the thousandth power are the odds that THIS planet would be the one to enjoy that proximity in time and space.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-31-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 05:30 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Perhaps they have investigated us and we are on their watch list to see if we will evolve into an intelligent species, or wipe ourselves out before we can achieve what they consider 'intelligent'.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 AM

20,685 posts, read 14,657,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I believe it was Carl Sagan that said he had zero doubt there is life out there but no way could "they" find us as often as people claim to have seen things because of the vastness of the universe.
Sagan wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

What I find amazing is that jack-asses like Sagan can't even apply the simplest concepts of logic.

There is life on Earth, and strong evidence of past life on Mars. Our Solar System has a G-Class Star.

Logically, then, it is reasonable to hypothesize that other G-Class star systems might support life, given this G-Class star has 3 terrestrial planets, one with life and compelling evidence of life on another.

Given that humans, mammals and other organisms require iron, and given what we know about the formation of stars and the effects of novas and super-novas, it would also be logical to hypothesize that life exists in older galaxies, rather than in newer or newly formed galaxies, and that points us again back to G-Class star systems.

Also, given what we know about the intensity and effects of natural background radiation, which is a combination of the decay of radio-isotopes on Earth, as well as radioactive particles from the Sun (mostly ionizing radiation like protons, gammas and x-rays and to a lesser extent non-ionizing UV radiation), it is illogical to assume that advanced or higher order life-forms could exist on planets orbiting quasars, pulsars, neutron stars and the like (including Blue and White star systems), yet we waste $Millions looking for planets orbiting those anomalies (and in other galaxies no less) where life is either impossible or least possible.

It's almost as if astronomers collectively engage in a silent conspiracy where they absolutely refuse to look at G-Class (or similar K-Class) stars, and are loathe to look at G/K-Class stars in our own galaxy (even though it is full of them).

Plus, it is difficult to overcome ethnocentrism and ignorance.

We can use radio waves here on Earth, only because the thermosphere is not so greatly ionized that it blocks or interferes with radio-waves, except those waves in the Short Wave and AM bands and to a lesser extent in the FM/VHF/UHF bands.

Common sense dictates that other habitable planets may not have an upper atmosphere exactly like Earth. The upper atmosphere may be so heavily ionized as to bar all forms of radio communications, in which case intelligent life would have to use other forms of communications, other than radio-waves, so, surprise, surprise, surprise that you don't detect radio-waves.

Also, it appears to have never donned on anyway that a more advanced civilization capable of interplanetary space travel might also have a more advanced communication system, abandoning radio-waves 100,000 years ago, so again, surprise, surprise, surprise that you don't find any radio-waves.

Phoning home...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Perhaps they have investigated us and we are on their watch list to see if we will evolve into an intelligent species, or wipe ourselves out before we can achieve what they consider 'intelligent'.
That too. An intelligent advanced civilization that is also benevolent would not under any circumstances interfere with an immature barbaric civilization.

Watching...

Mircea

Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 AM

8,703 posts, read 12,014,384 times
Ah, to be as dull as Carl Sagan. LOL!!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 AM

119 posts, read 201,385 times
"Roll up your windows kids, and for Yurtnaz sake don't look anyone in the eye, we're taking a shortcut near planet 852093 (Earth) because your FATHER insisted we not use the freeway to save time." -Qarflaxian mother on the annual family road trip to the tropical beach planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or