Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,157,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The new video was captured by one of NASA's twin Grail probes using a novel camera called MoonKAM, which will eventually be used by students on Earth to snap photos of the lunar surface as part of an educational project. The two spacecraft have been circling the moon since they arrived in orbit over the New Year.

Only robotic spacecraft and Apollo astronauts who orbited the moon in the 1960s and 1970s have seen the far side of the moon directly.
NASA Probe Captures 1st Video of Moon's Far Side | NASA Twin Grail Probes Ebb & Flow | Far Side of the Moon | Space.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM

6,917 posts, read 6,832,021 times
This Grail has been up for 144 days or thereabouts, and suddenly they come up with this video. Why?

Where are all the approach photos?

It takes 4 days to get to the moon by old Apollo technology.
Where have these two spacecraft been for 144 days?

Hoping you can help me here - I obviously need help with these questions.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
This Grail has been up for 144 days or thereabouts, and suddenly they come up with this video. Why?

Where are all the approach photos?

It takes 4 days to get to the moon by old Apollo technology.
Where have these two spacecraft been for 144 days?

Hoping you can help me here - I obviously need help with these questions.
Seeing how you use C-D as your only source of information I can understand why you are so befuddled by the Grail mission.

I see where you are living, is it possible the Great Firewall of the PRC is blocking your attempts to search the Internet?

You should go over to the P&OC forum and chat with the OP of the chemtrails thread, sounds like the both of you have a lot in common...

Old 02-03-2012, 12:58 AM

The firewall is an inconvenience occasionally yes, but not too much. I dont have a problem living here. Every country has its controls and restrictions and many are cultural.

And since I asked perfectly reasonable questions about the topic of the Grail mission, maybe you would consider an answer? Or is that awkward or beneath you?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
The firewall is an inconvenience occasionally yes, but not too much. I dont have a problem living here. Every country has its controls and restrictions and many are cultural.

And since I asked perfectly reasonable questions about the topic of the Grail mission, maybe you would consider an answer? Or is that awkward or beneath you?
For the third time, NASA has loads of information out on their websites concerning Grail.

Look back in earlier posts, I gave you directions on how to use that complex search tool called Google to search the NASA web site(s) for the data you require.

I have flat told you and I'll reiterate it again, NFW am I going to do all your work for you.

To shut you up for a few days read this:

NASA - Twin GRAIL Spacecraft to Map the Moon's Gravity

Hopefully the Great Firewall of the PRC will let you though to see it. If you can't move to Shanghai, (the country, not the city).

Old 02-03-2012, 03:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Didn't any of the Apollo astronauts stick a movie camera up to the window?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Didn't any of the Apollo astronauts stick a movie camera up to the window
Apollo was 1967-ish and movie cameras were not nearly as good as they are today. They stuck a Hassleblad up to the window though and there are plenty of those photos released, although quality leaves something to be desired.

It is inconcievable that GRAIL has not got the ability to take still photos, but where are they all? The NASA GRAIL site mentioned above loves to show us all the launch and pre-launch pictures but none of space and approach shots. I just think it is rather strange, thats all.

After having been up there for 145 days, there are no Moon photos on the NASA GRAIL site.

I dont know why and plwhit obviously doesn't either.
Quote:
For the third time, NASA has loads of information out on their websites concerning Grail.
I dont care how many times I mention it, but each time I do, you manage to avoid the issue. Maybe your masters do not allow you to answer these questions.

The photos of the approach and of the Moon are NOT there on the site, and it does not explain what the spacecrafts have been doing for 145 days messing about in space.

As you say, there is plenty of other information, but I am not interested in that.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I dont know why and plwhit obviously doesn't either.
I dont care how many times I mention it, but each time I do, you manage to avoid the issue. Maybe your masters do not allow you to answer these questions.
Obviously you don't know how to read, let me quote from a previous post of mine:

Look back in earlier posts, I gave you directions on how to use that complex search tool called Google to search the NASA web site(s) for the data you require.

I have flat told you and I'll reiterate it again, NFW am I going to do all your work for you.

To shut you up for a few days read this:

NASA - Twin GRAIL Spacecraft to Map the Moon's Gravity

Hopefully the Great Firewall of the PRC will let you though to see it. If you can't move to Shanghai, (the country, not the city).

My masters? You've been watching too many PLA propaganda flicks...

Quote:
The photos of the approach and of the Moon are NOT there on the site, and it does not explain what the spacecrafts have been doing for 145 days messing about in space.

As you say, there is plenty of other information, but I am not interested in that.
And as I've said before, you are too lazy to find it.

Just like I posted information on how to contact the India Space agency here is the information to contact NASA:

Ask NASA

Public Communications Office
NASA Headquarters

Suite 5K39
Washington, DC 20546-0001

(202) 358-0001 (Office)
(202) 358-433

I guess for the missing 145 days both Grail spacecraft were parked over China taking spy pictures of the PLA practicing their goose-step parade form.

Last edited by plwhit; 02-03-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,158,065 times
"I dont care how many times I mention it, but each time I do, you manage to avoid the issue. Maybe your masters do not allow you to answer these questions."

Simple. The moon does not have a back side. It is a giant wall mural on an umbrella put up by aliens to keep us from seeing the biggist honkin' spaceship you can imagine. NASA doesn't want anyone to know. Wait until they close the umbrella and reveal themselves.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Apollo was 1967-ish
Actually, manned Apollo flights were from 1968 to 1972.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space