Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

In case you've been wondering lately what those two angelically bright star-like objects are close to each other right after sunset in the western sky. The answer is Venus and Jupiter. Venus is the brighter of the two.

Then you look to the eastern part of the sky and see a reddish-orange star. That's Mars, the god of war.

Thought I'd share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In case you've been wondering lately what those two angelically bright star-like objects are close to each other right after sunset in the western sky. The answer is Venus and Jupiter. Venus is the brighter of the two.

Then you look to the eastern part of the sky and see a reddish-orange star. That's Mars, the god of war.

Thought I'd share.
Yeah, I was just reading about that. Maybe you have a better site.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post

Old 03-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Your link is as good as any. Venus and Jupiter are usually the brightest planets in the sky.

That's why it's pretty to see them in conjunction like this.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Just saw them out in the sky, from my porch...very nice

...hope to see Mars a bit later!

Quote:
Your link is as good as any. Venus and Jupiter are usually the brightest planets in the sky.

That's why it's pretty to see them in conjunction like this.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 PM

Here's another detailed link:

Illustrated guide to Venus and Jupiter conjunction in March 2012 | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky

Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 AM

320 posts, read 538,840 times
Quote:

Thought I'd share.
Thanks!
I already knew about Venus. Until recently I had never realized how bright it was in the late winter sky. It compelled me to do some more research which lead me to something that I read the other day letting me know that Jupiter was the other brightly lit object right next to it. I happened to notice Mars a couple of nights ago (at the time I did not know what it was). I knew that it wasn't Sirius and it was so brightly lit that night I was curious to find out what it was. I appreciate the info.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
Thanks!
I already knew about Venus. Until recently I had never realized how bright it was in the late winter sky. It compelled me to do some more research which lead me to something that I read the other day letting me know that Jupiter was the other brightly lit object right next to it. I happened to notice Mars a couple of nights ago (at the time I did not know what it was). I knew that it wasn't Sirius and it was so brightly lit that night I was curious to find out what it was. I appreciate the info.
Sirius is actually visible high up along with these planets. So is the brightest constellation - Orion.

It's a dazzling show in the sky right now.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:

Thought I'd share.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't they beautiful?
I am out many a night, as I am in the sticks with little night glow, and a perfect view... set up the SC scope, and watch them fly. Life is good. (my personal favorite is Saturn, but that is a lot further away).

Went to a friend's house a while ago.... he has a monster scope. if you look at Mars with a 28" SC, you will be wearing an eyepatch the next day. We stop it down to about 10-12".

Old 03-18-2012, 10:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
if we could somehow blow up one of those planets, man wouldn't that be even brighter!? if but for a little while, maybe it would last a week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space