U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 PM

10,959 posts, read 23,505,130 times

Advertisements

I Expected alot more unmanned missions to the rest of the planets and maybe a small moon base along with a manned trip to fly into mars orbit and then slingshot back to earth as atest to see if we can get there without the ship having the massive supplies needed to land there and explore it.

I thought Ion engines would be used powered by nuclear power..I mean VASMIR is just heading up to the ISSS in 2013 to be test at low power but it is supposed to keep the ISS from orbit decay to keep it in LEO Longer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,612,998 times
This is a fun question...

One thing about the 50's and 60's and 70's sci-fi movies...is they always projected a nirvana type deep space reality...
Where space was clean, fun, and habitable....

Like the previous posts mentioned...I took for granted that by now, at least we'd have a livable, habitable base or bases on the moon...

But it's not something I've ever been overly obscessed with...

Old 06-14-2012, 10:36 AM

23,266 posts, read 24,508,431 times
I think this has a lot to do with when you grew up. I grew up in the late 80s and 90s, and I had much more tempered views since there was a lot less effort being put on the space program and the prediction time period was much shorter. I was still hoping that there'd be a Mars landing (no base though) by this time, but I didn't fully expect it. I guess the only surprise is how much more I can find out about space due to the internet.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM

41,490 posts, read 52,118,411 times
I watched as NASA turned from a space exploration and technology agency into just another corporate boondoggle primarily for the Southern US. I was an am very disappointed with the way things turned out. IMHO the space program should have had the funding we wasted on protecting the international oil businesses with our military excesses.

I am amazed with the changes in computing and communications in the last 30 years. I am also amused by people using marvelous technology to tell hubby what groceries he should pick up on the way home from work. I am driving cars with 1970’s race car technology. I consider this a real improvement in economy, safety and ease of driving. Fortunately we do not have individually controlled sky cars. People drive badly enough. If they flew there would be real trouble.

I am also amused that we are still using 1820’s canals, 1860’s railroads and 1920’s trucks to move freight around the country. It astonishes me that two drivers can get a truck from Seattle to Boston faster than a railroad. The railroads have gotten bigger and more profitable but not any faster except on a few city to city routes.

FWIW – Apparently not much, I have conceptual designs and calculations for a guideway system that should be able to move both freight and passengers at 300+ mph. I do not have the funds to patent this concept let alone even build model test sized equipment. If any of you know some way of funding innovative technology please PM your suggestions.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,048,015 times

There was an energy crisis back in the 1970s.

I expected the world to be enjoying clean and unlimited space-based solar energy by now.

NASA was told by Congress back in the 1990s to develop space-based solar.

After many years of study, in 2001, a NASA space-based solar project was funded.

Then, just before 9-11, it was mysteriously cancelled with no explanation.

Two months later the head of NASA suddenly resigned.

I asked my [NASA scientist] relative about it and he said that initially such a project
would be very expensive... but that the $$$ spent on the war in Iraq would be a start.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,237,267 times
I think we're 30 years behind in space exploration.

-True, that space travel isn't easy on the human body. It's dangerous. But, out of 6 billion people in the world, surely you could find hundreds or thousands of intrepid travelers.

Is it any more dangerous putting a man in space, than putting a solider in Iraq or Afghanistan? I'd of thought by now, we'd have "teams" of space travelers. Like colony, team A. Team B. Maybe a dozen, 18 in a group.

With the advances in computing and telecommunications in the last 30-40 years, space travel sure seems light. Look at the advances just in cell phones in the last 10 years.

With the Columbus analogy and Antartica, I think its more about the King of England (financing the trip) just isn't interested in visiting many places. I think he's busy playing golf with his buddies. Using the map of America (or India) as his coaster. Most of our politicans don't have a big scientific background, and honestly not much imagination. I don't think we got kids reading science fiction books in the 50's in the whitehouse.

-I want to see a probe land on Titan, like the Curiosity rover that just landed. How far away is that? Can we do that in 20 years?

I also thought we'd be ahead in telescopes, like the Hubble. Imagine a telescope on the moon. Wouldn't that be clearer? We could be miles ahead. It doesn't necessarily take colonization.

I was reading about Venus after this Curiosity landing. The russians launched a bunch of probes there in the 60's. There was a manned Venus flyby considered in the 60's by NASA. You wonder why that hasn't happened yet. We should have had hundreds or thousands of people in space by now.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 AM

41,490 posts, read 52,118,411 times
As an addendum to my previous post #14, I would add the air cushion rail guided train with a linear electric motor drive were in the model/prototype test stage in the mid 1970's when transportation funding was switched to fund the military production complex. (Thank Wiki). I still believe this is a viable alternative to steel wheel on steel rail or rubber on asphalt for transporting people and materials. I expect shipping fresh produce from California to New York (~ 3000 miles)in less than 10 hours would pay for itself but that neither the public or private sectors would either have the money or want to take the risk.

I do not see the US returning to manned space missions in the near future. Our economy no longer produces a sufficient surplus to fund the exploration and our "managers" would refuse the risk. That will cost us the future in order to pay for the past.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 AM

35,126 posts, read 42,576,558 times
I thought we might have been contacted or paid a visit by now by the local rulers of this part of our region of space as our em footprint is just screaming our presence to 60-70 light years out at this point., also thought there would have been a credible moon base/habitat and large satellite space Habitats and at least an outpost on Mars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or