Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The Hubble CCD is designed to detect the faintest of light, light photons that have traveled billions and billions of light years.

And the CCD chip would surely melt if all the sunlight collected by a mirror 8 feet in diameter were focused on it.
In other words, it does not have the filters to handle all that light. I might also add that that much sunlight can also do permanent damage to the optics. The only way to safely use the Hubble for solar observations would be to placed appropriate full aperture Ha filters at the telescope opening, something that was never seriously considered when the scope was designed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 05:07 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Came across this video earlier and remembered this thread!

Glad it hasn't happened yet, and will be visible in North America! Pretty neat!

A VERY RARE Thing Will Happen June 5th 2012 - YouTube

Estimated viewing time is 6:04pm (EST) til sunset. Tues June 5. Last chance, won't happen again til 2117!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:50 PM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I guess the planet has been hit by a sun storm?
Venus is currently nearing inferior conjuction, which it will reach on June 5, 2012. When it does this, it is closest to us and increases greatly in brightness, especially when this happens in Spring. Venus will transit the Sun - be able to be seen crossing the face of the Sun - on June 5, 2012. This will be only the second time this as happened since 1882 (the last one was 2004) and will not happen again until December 11, 2117. If you don't have a telescope or solar filter, the easiest way to view this event is to take a large piece of cardboard or similar and poke a small hole (as round as possible) into it. Hold the board away from a wall or similar screen for projection of the image. The farther away from the cardboard the "wall" is, the larger the image will be. Also, the larger the hole, the farther the image will have to be from the cardboard to get a focused image. The cardboard will cast a shadow onto the wall and will also serve to give great constrast.

The transit for the United States and Canada will start at the following times:

6:04pm Eastern Time
5:04pm Central Time
4:04pm Moutain Time
3:04pm Pacific Time

Venus will look like a large black dot crossing the Sun. Assuming your image of the Sun is right-side-up, it will be near the top of the Sun. Sunspots should be seen too! If you want any more info, email me at charlespsands@yahoo.com. I've been an amatuer astronomer since 1986.

Charles Sands

Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Please note that this event will last some seven hours, so it will not be possible to see the entire event from the lower 48 states. However, weather permitting, it will be an event worth watching. I plan to take as many photos I can and stitch them together into a video.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 PM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Please note that this event will last some seven hours, so it will not be possible to see the entire event from the lower 48 states. However, weather permitting, it will be an event worth watching. I plan to take as many photos I can and stitch them together into a video.
Yea. Here in the Nashville area, we should have about 2.5 hours. I saw the last one JUST as it ended at Sunrise. I saw it through the scope while Venus was still fully against the Sun's disk. By the time I could photograph it, hoever, Venus has already made third contact.

Charles Sands

Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Yea. Here in the Nashville area, we should have about 2.5 hours. I saw the last one JUST as it ended at Sunrise. I saw it through the scope while Venus was still fully against the Sun's disk. By the time I could photograph it, hoever, Venus has already made third contact.

Charles Sands

Same for us here in Louisville. I just hope the weather cooperates.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
The transit begins at 2:04 PM Alaska time, and sunset will not be until 12:19 AM. So we should be able to watch the entire transit.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The transit begins at 2:04 PM Alaska time, and sunset will not be until 12:19 AM. So we should be able to watch the entire transit.
I'm jealous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space