U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 PM

603 posts, read 814,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Venus is too close to our star in our solar system, the sun, so it's too hot.. Venus' surface temperature is believed to be over 800 degrees farenheit.... and it's a dry heat..
Venus isn't hot because of its distance to the sun. It's hot because of its atmosphere. The surface of Venus is hotter than the surface of Mercury.

It wouldn't be possible with today's technology to put a man on the surface of Venus...

However, you could put a man into the upper atmosphere, around 30 miles up. The upper atmosphere of Venus has the most similar environment to earth anywhere in the solar system. Gravity, air pressure, and temperature are nearly identical. If you had some kind of a floating platform in the atmosphere, you could walk around outside just wearing an air supply and a Tyvek suit over your clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 PM

52,155 posts, read 30,213,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn tin man View Post
must be like this
dna - gas planet - youtube
lol.....

Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
Venus isn't hot because of its distance to the sun. It's hot because of its atmosphere. The surface of Venus is hotter than the surface of Mercury.

It wouldn't be possible with today's technology to put a man on the surface of Venus...

However, you could put a man into the upper atmosphere, around 30 miles up. The upper atmosphere of Venus has the most similar environment to earth anywhere in the solar system. Gravity, air pressure, and temperature are nearly identical. If you had some kind of a floating platform in the atmosphere, you could walk around outside just wearing an air supply and a Tyvek suit over your clothes.
Thanks, I know that Venus is considered to be earth's sister planet in many apsects.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:18 PM

There is a place on earth that might resemble the Martian surface, Sedona, Arizona, known as Red Rock Country, about 90 miles north of Phoenix. It's a lot cheaper than going to Mars...

Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I know that Venus is considered to be earth's sister planet in many apsects.
It is. It's also the closest in size.

There are a lot of cool things we've found out about Venus. That it actually evaporates, condenses and "snows" metal on parts of the surface is one of my favorites.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If we just stop wasting money on wars and on government pleasure spending - there will be so much left for other things!
Thanks Elnina, and I agree, wars are ugly and very costly in monetary terms, and more importantly in human lives, but unfortunately in many cases, they are unavoidable. Many times in the last 100 years, the United States was dragged into different wars for the need to defend our nation.

As I mentioned in a previous message, humans have wasted too much time and effort in fighting each other since the begining of time, and unfortunately, there will always be those arrogant leaders of nations around the world who only want to cause problems for other peaceful nations. I can't imagine where we would be in space exploration had humans lived together peacefuly.

Besides the 4 planets with solid surfaces in our immediate solar system, astronomers know that there are other planets that are many light years away and are believed to be able to support life, and like others here have mentioned, right now we do not have the technology to explore such distant planets in the Milky Way galaxy because they are simply too far away. We have the technology to observe the various celestial objects in the Milky Way, the Andromeda Galaxies, and other very distant objects in the universe, and that's about it. As far as serious space exploration, well.. you'll have to stick to watching Star Trek...

Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
It is. It's also the closest in size.

There are a lot of cool things we've found out about Venus. That it actually evaporates, condenses and "snows" metal on parts of the surface is one of my favorites.
Wow, that is very interesting, we also know that it has a lot more volcanic activity than earth does.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:36 PM

23,985 posts, read 23,218,601 times
Dragon X made it back too earth.. Splash down in the Pacific Ocean of the coast of Mexico.
I also feel the same way Magnum Mike. It will be a individual that will excel.. like Elon Musk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is very interesting, we also know that it has a lot more volcanic activity than earth does.
Hmm. I hadn't heard that. I know they've found some evidence of possible recent volcanic activity, but I didn't think it was conclusive. I think the current theory is that Venus probably doesn't have a spinning liquid core because it lacks a magnetic field and it has a very strange, slow rotation (it also rotates backwards from the other planets).

But volcanic activity on other planets & moons can be drastically different than what we would think of as an eruption. I know Enceladus has volcanoes that erupt an ammonia-ice slush. So if Venus doesn't have a molten core, who knows what a "lava flow" would look like there.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
No, Venus is off limits to men. Go mess up Saturn or some other planet.
We're not sending anyone to Saturn until we figure out who built that giant hexagon at their north pole.

The Mysterious Saturn Hexagon | One Piece Discoveries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or