U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,959 times

Advertisements

BBC News - Hubble times Milky Way and Andromeda galaxy pile-up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,162,941 times
Yep in only 4 billion years from now, so I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep worrying about it.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Yep in only 4 billion years from now, so I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep worrying about it.
Well maybe most of the stars will have plenty of space to avoid other stars.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:13 AM

5,206 posts, read 8,210,851 times
The presentation is from Hubblecast (ESA/Hubble). The projection suggests that our solar system could ultimately end up in a strange orbit outside of the new supergalaxy after the merger settles down about 6 billion years from now. It's thought the Sun will enter its final stage as a white dwarf star in 4-5 billion years from now. The Earth would've been long rendered into a dead rocky planet by then, assuming it hasn't been completely consumed and vaporized during the Sun's red giant stage.

http://www.universetoday.com/25669/t...te-dwarf-star/

Milky Way Versus Andromeda As Seen from Earth - YouTube

Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM

6,043 posts, read 13,302,463 times
Is there a way to speed this up? I really don't feel like doing laundry today, and my toes are cold.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Is there a way to speed this up? I really don't feel like doing laundry today, and my toes are cold.
Sure, watch the video. That'll speed up billions of years crunched down to just a few minutes.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM

7,482 posts, read 5,920,957 times
It's kind of eerie to think what the night sky would look like after this merger if our star system were kicked out of the galaxy... In one part of the sky, we'd see a tangled mess of stars from a distance - the wreckage of the Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxy... and opposite them, there would be nothing straight to infinity.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It's kind of eerie to think what the night sky would look like after this merger if our star system were kicked out of the galaxy... In one part of the sky, we'd see a tangled mess of stars from a distance - the wreckage of the Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxy... and opposite them, there would be nothing straight to infinity.
Yeah, I agree. It's a pretty strange thing to think about. However, the merging process would take a couple of billion years or so before settling down. Nothing is static in the universe, not even galaxies.

In the video, it looks like the strange orbit shows the path of the solar system dipping in and out of the more populated area of the new supergalaxy. As far as I can tell, it's only a possible scenario. There's no way to know for sure. It could just as easily remain in the galaxy. It all depends on the exact way the two galaxies actually merge. As it is now, the path of the solar system already crosses the galactic plane, dipping slightly above it and below it, as it orbits around the galaxy.

Assuming the solar system did go into such a weird looping path, I'd guess the Sun itself could be well on its way in becoming a red giant before shrinking down to a white dwarf star. The Earth would likely be pretty uninhabitable for most life forms by that time. If the Sun could remain as it is right now, the solar system would remain pretty much intact because of the gravitational attraction between the Sun and the planets, even if the solar system did enter such an extreme orbital path. Because the merger would be so incredibly slow, the changes wouldn't be readily apparent to anyone looking out at the night sky at any given point in time.

What I find really strange to think about is that the galaxy itself, as well as every other galaxy, will ultimately die out in the far distant future if the expansion of space continues to accelerate indefinitely. Galaxies would eventually exhaust all of their fuel and the final traces of stars would gradually radiate out of existence. Even black holes would eventually come to an end. The corpse of the entire universe would be pretty dark, cold and empty, reaching the temperature of absolute zero everywhere.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM

17,825 posts, read 20,504,794 times
The good news is that we will have more real-estate after the merger.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM

6,043 posts, read 13,302,463 times
Real-estate is so 00's... it's all about web-estate now, haven't you heard?

Humans are going to destroy our own earth and ourselves along with it long before this happens. If anything this collision and the sun's demise will help return nature to itself and wipe clean all the damage we have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or