Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
Well my friend was hit by a star's image flying to earth yesterday, and was crushed, so I am unable to answer your question.
The worst of all types of ignorance, willful ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Well my friend was hit by a star's image flying to earth yesterday, and was crushed, so I am unable to answer your question.
It's not very nice to ask a serious question, let people take considerable amounts time to explain in detail the answers, and then make flippant responses because you wanted the question to be impossible to answer.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It's not very nice to ask a serious question, let people take considerable amounts time to explain in detail the answers, and then make flippant responses because you wanted the question to be impossible to answer.
Hes asked the question, not me. I asked you how fast is the universe expanding? Can i get a simple answer? or is none available.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Hes asked the question, not me. I asked you how fast is the universe expanding? Can i get a simple answer? or is none available.
I answered your question. I even gave a detailed description of the relevant physics used to generate the distance measurements. You have taken no initiative in trying to comprehend the answers that have been given to you. Only flippant replies which suggest that you conflate an inability for you personally to understand something with that thing being invalid.

The Hubble constant, which is how fast the universe is expanding, is 74 km/s / Mpc. It's fine if you don't understand the answer, just ask about what you don't understand or better yet try to read for yourself what it means.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
God did it.

Happy?

(Ironically this answer is probably more complex than dealing with pesky parsecs.)

Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
That depends on what you mean as a simple answer. There are several answers. Jay and others have already explained part of it to you. You replied to my post with "awww parallax!!! thats what i'm looking for and that is where the problem rests!!" What's THAT suppose to mean? You gave no explanation as to why you think that's where the problem rests. The whole point of the forum is to share opinions and views so we can all learn something. If you think you've got the answers, then let's hear them and see some links or references that support your view. On the other hand, if all you want to do is make pointless, wise-crack remarks, then maybe this isn't the right forum for you.

There are things about the universe that are not fully understand, although there are some ideas. For example, it's thought that following the Big Bang, the rate of expansion of emerging space was much faster than the speed of light. This early period is often called "inflation". As the space became larger, gravity (associated with matter) was strong enough to start slowing it down because matter was much closer early on. At a later point though, gravity began to lose its grip to what is called Dark Energy and the expansion began to accelerate at exponential rates, which it is still doing. The larger the space of the universe becomes, the faster it accelerates, potentially faster than the speed of light. Not much is known about Dark Energy, nor is it fully understood exactly why, instead of the space of the universe continuing to slow down, it began to suddenly speed up. It might be a property of space itself - an additional force.

The future of the universe is anyone's guess at the present time. If it continues to expand at an exponential rate, matter in the universe could be ripped apart in a few billion years (Big Rip). If it remains stable, particles could eventually lose all energy and stop moving, the universe could become absolutely dark and cold with space expanding forever (Big Freeze). Or if gravity somehow regains its strength on a cosmological scale, the universe could slowly begin to contract and shrink (Big Crunch), maybe back to how it began in the first place.

Going back to the point of the thread, if you think seeing something millions of light years away is a problem, then why not simply explain why you think it's a problem?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I answered your question. I even gave a detailed description of the relevant physics used to generate the distance measurements. You have taken no initiative in trying to comprehend the answers that have been given to you. Only flippant replies which suggest that you conflate an inability for you personally to understand something with that thing being invalid.

The Hubble constant, which is how fast the universe is expanding, is 74 km/s / Mpc. It's fine if you don't understand the answer, just ask about what you don't understand or better yet try to read for yourself what it means.
Is the Hubble constant (74 km/s / mpc) supposed to be understandable? Unless your a scientist or really into science you probably don't know what that means but I'll run with it.

48 miles per second would have been better.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Is the Hubble constant (74 km/s / mpc) supposed to be understandable? Unless your a scientist or really into science you probably don't know what that means but I'll run with it.

48 miles per second would have been better.
That would have been wrong, though. It's not expanding at the same rate at all distances. Think of the surface of an expanding balloon--the further away the point on the surface, the faster it looks like it is expanding. The Hubble constant says that something 1 Mpc away is moving at 74km/s, something at 2 Mpc distance is moving at 148 km/s etc. all the way up to the edge of the visible universe.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That depends on what you mean as a simple answer. There are several answers. Jay and others have already explained part of it to you. You replied to my post with "awww parallax!!! thats what i'm looking for and that is where the problem rests!!" What's THAT suppose to mean? You gave no explanation as to why you think that's where the problem rests. The whole point of the forum is to share opinions and views so we can all learn something. If you think you've got the answers, then let's hear them and see some links or references that support your view. On the other hand, if all you want to do is make pointless, wise-crack remarks, then maybe this isn't the right forum for you.

There are things about the universe that are not fully understand, although there are some ideas. For example, it's thought that following the Big Bang, the rate of expansion of emerging space was much faster than the speed of light. This early period is often called "inflation". As the space became larger, gravity (associated with matter) was strong enough to start slowing it down because matter was much closer early on. At a later point though, gravity began to lose its grip to what is called Dark Energy and the expansion began to accelerate at exponential rates, which it is still doing. The larger the space of the universe becomes, the faster it accelerates, potentially faster than the speed of light. Not much is known about Dark Energy, nor is it fully understood exactly why, instead of the space of the universe continuing to slow down, it began to suddenly speed up. It might be a property of space itself - an additional force.

The future of the universe is anyone's guess at the present time. If it continues to expand at an exponential rate, matter in the universe could be ripped apart in a few billion years (Big Rip). If it remains stable, particles could eventually lose all energy and stop moving, the universe could become absolutely dark and cold with space expanding forever (Big Freeze). Or if gravity somehow regains its strength on a cosmological scale, the universe could slowly begin to contract and shrink (Big Crunch), maybe back to how it began in the first place.

Going back to the point of the thread, if you think seeing something millions of light years away is a problem, then why not simply explain why you think it's a problem?
Because it's sophistry, or ignorance disguised as sophistry.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

pointless wise crack remarks were intended for the ones who make them first. nobody has to respond to my thread but when I ask a question I am looking for answers. "Science told me" or "it says so on the internet" might not be good enough for me.... you added further and I found what I was looking for. If you sit and really think about "seeing something billions of light years away" you can understand why i'd ask such a question. Here on earth our visibility is limited and it's no where near billions of light years so anyone with a slight bit of intelligence has the right to ask the question. Its all about distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space