Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Mars would be the safest place in the universe for the currently earth bound humanoids. There's NO guns on Mars. No death by cop scenarios to play.
That depends on who gets to Mars first. The Russians have been known to carry firearms on-board their spacecraft. I do not know about the Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That depends on who gets to Mars first. The Russians have been known to carry firearms on-board their spacecraft. I do not know about the Chinese.
With the fact that these people will be stuck on an alien planet in likely close quarters there is indeed a chance of violence occurring, Guns or not. How would a punishment for a crime even be enforced? Would Miranda rights and other rights be suspended or altered being off the planet? And how can scientists get an idea of psychological factors being affected? They could stage training in the most remote desert on Earth but it's still Earth. We can not be sure of biological contaminants that may exist on the red planet having an effect as well. Are we 100% sure there is not more advanced life there? We will be altering the planets evolution regardless.

There are so many unforeseen things that can happen if they successfully make it there. it's interesting with all the films and shows about alien invasions that we have even now with the machines there invaded a planet.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
With the fact that these people will be stuck on an alien planet in likely close quarters there is indeed a chance of violence occurring, Guns or not.
It may not even be the fault of the crew. In Biosphere 2 the concrete was not given enough time to cure. As a result the people suffered from a lack of oxygen and formed into two groups, one opposing the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
How would a punishment for a crime even be enforced? Would Miranda rights and other rights be suspended or altered being off the planet? And how can scientists get an idea of psychological factors being affected? They could stage training in the most remote desert on Earth but it's still Earth. We can not be sure of biological contaminants that may exist on the red planet having an effect as well. Are we 100% sure there is not more advanced life there? We will be altering the planets evolution regardless.

There are so many unforeseen things that can happen if they successfully make it there. it's interesting with all the films and shows about alien invasions that we have even now with the machines there invaded a planet.
They are already preparing on Devon Island in the Arctic Circle in Canada. The Mars Society has been practicing for over a decade now.

Mars mission takes shape in Arctic - Technology & science - Space | NBC News

Yes, we are 100% certain that there is nothing more advanced than microbial life, if even that, on Mars. While the bacteria and viruses we bring with us will be more virulent in space and exposed to cosmic rays, it is highly doubtful anyone could be infected by an alien virus. Earth borne viruses evolved with us and have adapted to our biology. An alien virus would not have that advantage.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
No way to try that restaurant that your friend loved, no way to fly the Airbus 380 from Hong Kong to Singapore (or whatever you hear of that humans on Earth love to do), no way to make South African style food that you crave from hearing about it ... almost everything about being a human from Earth becomes impossible. No way to ride the newest Kawasaki or even see one in person. And with years to think about it, I would have about a few million regrets. Even if I can't do everything I wish I could do, right now, I know I can do some of the things as I choose. To not have that choice is worse than death.
Well going to be the first humans to colonize mars means that you will do something far greater than a new car show or riding the latest motorcycle.

Plus the Rockets that will take man there will be a lot more advanced and powerful than a rather old technology internal combustion engine in a motorcycle.

MARS [NEW!!!] Constellation : Manned Mission to Mars - YouTube
Plus you would be human living on mars so earth things would be boring and dull and earth issues and problems while mars would have it's own problems and issues and we would grow apart till we started to send more ships on a regular basis to expand the population of the colonies.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM

472 posts, read 570,640 times
I have a book called The Home Planet, full of great photos from space, mostly of Earth. It's also got a lot of things that astronauts/cosmonauts have said about their experience in space. They missed Earth terribly. This is typical, talking about a little "garden" they have, some seedlings they sprouted:

"It's impossible to imagine how much pleasure this green oasis of terrestrial life gave us. We even said 'Come on, let's go walk in the grove!'
For human eyes accustomed to the greenness of Earth, living plants give tranquility. Even sleeping beside those thin stems was better."
--Georgi Grechko, USSR cosmonaut

Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
I can see me waking-up on Mars in the middle of the night at some point thinking "you know, I haven't had pizza in years and I can't remember how a Butterfinger tastes."

Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I can see me waking-up on Mars in the middle of the night at some point thinking "you know, I haven't had pizza in years and I can't remember how a Butterfinger tastes."
I hope you like vegetarian pizza, because that is all you will have on Mars. They will not be packing any meat. That pumpkin pie will not quite taste the same without the sugar or nutmeg either. And the pie crusts will not be like grandmother use to make without that lard.

Forget about chocolates, but sweets might be possible if they bring sugar beets. I do not think cane sugar or corn will make their list of plants to ship to Mars, but I could be mistaken.

Before we send anyone to Mars I think we should force them to live on the same diet they will have on Mars on Earth first. It will prepare them for what awaits them, and it will give them an opportunity to have one of those "I HAVE HAD ENOUGH, AND I CANNOT TAKE IT ANY MORE!" moments.

Personally, I would make a terrible candidate. I like my salmon, halibut, whale, seal, beef, moose, bear, caribou, pig, lamb/sheep, chicken, duck, geese, grouse, and ptarmigan too much to be able to give it up. If you take that away from me, you might as well just kill me now.

Last edited by Glitch; 05-01-2013 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Before we send anyone to Mars I think we should force them to live on the same diet they will have on Mars on Earth first. It will prepare them for what awaits them, and it will give them an opportunity to have one of those "I HAVE HAD ENOUGH, AND I CANNOT TAKE IT ANY MORE!" moments.
And that's just the food. What about the forests, oceans, thunderstorms, waterfalls and other things that will just be dreams of paradise and nothing more?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
And that's just the food. What about the forests, oceans, thunderstorms, waterfalls and other things that will just be dreams of paradise and nothing more?
I have had those very same dreams all my life. Then I moved to Alaska and began living the dream.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 PM

Oregon is gorgeous too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space