Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Is there life inside black holes?

Bound inside rotating or charged black holes, there are stable periodic planetary orbits, which neither come out nor terminate at the central singularity. Stable periodic orbits inside black holes exist even for photons. These bound orbits may be defined as orbits of the third kind, following the Chandrasekhar classification of particle orbits in the black hole gravitational field. The existence domain for the third kind orbits is rather spacious, and thus there is place for life inside supermassive black holes in the galactic nuclei. Interiors of the supermassive black holes may be inhabited by civilizations, being invisible from the outside. In principle, one can get information from the interiors of black holes by observing their white hole counterparts.

Source: Is there life inside black holes?
I have seen some pretty strange theories, but this one takes the cake. If there is life within the Event Horizon of a black hole they could never leave. At least not into our universe. On the plus side, time will be moving so slow for them they will be able to watch the universe unfold before them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 04:05 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have seen some pretty strange theories, but this one takes the cake. If there is life within the Event Horizon of a black hole they could never leave. At least not into our universe. On the plus side, time will be moving so slow for them they will be able to watch the universe unfold before them.
Reminds me of the concept that the entire universe is contained inside of a black hole as postulated by Nikodem Poplawski in 2010. The idea being that supermassive black holes can generate an entire universe. Poplawski's view seems to suggest something similar to nesting, a universe within a larger universe, etc., while at the same time blackholes in our universe are generating new universes. Sounds sort of like a fractal universe to me. Carl Sagan touched on the subject of a fractal universe, suggesting that the universe could be like a mere electron in a much larger universe. However, to be fair, the technology and instruments we have today were not available to Sagan.

Some variations, whch predate Poplawski's view, add wormholes with a black hole on one side pulling particles in and a white hole on the other side spitting particles out, presumably passing through a multidimensional bulk space or a larger universe, creating a new universe.

Dukuchaev suggests that although we would be unable to see information in a black hole, it's possible to detect it from a white hole. The problem is that, as far as I know, no white holes have ever been detected in the universe. It leaves a lot of unanswered questions. His initial abstract seems pretty sloppy.

Is our universe inside a black hole? An inside look at new theory

Our Universe Was Born in a Black Hole, Theory Says | Space.com

Nikodem Pop

Is the Big Bang a black hole?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 AM

Just out of curiosity I calculated the distance of the event horizon for the super massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy, which is estimated to be ~4 million solar masses. The formula is as follows:
Schwarzschild Radius (Event Horizon) = 2Gm/c^2
Where:
Constant G = 6.67384E-11 (m/kg)^2
Milky Way Super Massive Black Hole Mass (m) = 7.956E+36 kg
Speed of Light (c) = 299,792,458 km/s
That would put the event horizon at 11,815,691,814 km (7,341,930,510 miles), or ~79 AU from the singularity. Any matter (including light) that is closer to the singularity than this distance would be forever lost to our universe, unable to escape the gravity of the black hole.

Even taking into consideration that it may be possible to have a stable orbit within an event horizon of a black hole, I cannot conceive how any form of life could survive the tidal forces.

Last edited by Glitch; 06-24-2013 at 08:05 AM..

Old 06-30-2013, 02:26 PM

141 posts, read 435,090 times
I am not aware of any definition of "life" I'd consider remotely sufficient. Let's take a look at the stars. There are "star nurseries" where stars come to life, mature and graduate from. Stars age and die. They get sick and implode+-blow up. They parasite on other stars. Dead stars material give birth to new stars, which can be considered breeding with whatever stretch. Is this life? What about galaxies, galaxy clusters and beyond? We just don't know. All life we know about is organic form of life bounded to this tiny rock we live on. The scale is 12K km in diameter vs millions of light years of space, that's very limited.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekie View Post
I am not aware of any definition of "life" I'd consider remotely sufficient. Let's take a look at the stars. There are "star nurseries" where stars come to life, mature and graduate from. Stars age and die. They get sick and implode+-blow up. They parasite on other stars. Dead stars material give birth to new stars, which can be considered breeding with whatever stretch. Is this life? What about galaxies, galaxy clusters and beyond? We just don't know. All life we know about is organic form of life bounded to this tiny rock we live on. The scale is 12K km in diameter vs millions of light years of space, that's very limited.
What you describe is the life-cycle of a star, but it does not constitute life as the author of the paper describes it. The author was describing either biological, or possibly mechanical, life capable of building a civilization.

Using the supermassive black hole in our Milky Way galaxy as an example, if an Earth-sized planet was 78 AU away from the singularity (just inside the Event Horizon), it would have to orbit the singularity at 2.2% the speed of light, or 6,595,434 m/s (14,753,566 mph), just to stay in orbit around the singularity. At that distance and speed the planet would make a complete orbit around the singularity every 126 days.

Last edited by Glitch; 06-30-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
2.2% the speed of light, or 6,595,434 km/s (14,753,565,676.8 mph)
that's not 6,595,434 KM/S, mind you, that's m/s (meters per second), which is 1000 times less mph than you posted. That's 6.5e3 km/s, mind you, aka 15e3 mph. Using that many decimal places and missin' the mark by magnitude of 3 .

As of the article and the opinion, I am not obliged to submit to it. I got my own opinions. And my own is that we are not in a position of telling if stars are alive or not, or drawing exhaustive definition of "life", we just don't have enough info to make a call. And in our current evolutionary stage, our bio species may never get any closer.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
that's not 6,595,434 KM/S, mind you, that's m/s (meters per second), which is 1000 times less mph than you posted. That's 6.5e3 km/s, mind you, aka 15e3 mph. Using that many decimal places and missin' the mark by magnitude of 3 .
You are absolutely correct. My mistake originated in post #3 where I erroneously posted the speed of light as being "km/s" instead of "m/s."

Thanks for pointing that out. I hate that when that happens.

Quote:
As of the article and the opinion, I am not obliged to submit to it. I got my own opinions. And my own is that we are not in a position of telling if stars are alive or not, or drawing exhaustive definition of "life", we just don't have enough info to make a call. And in our current evolutionary stage, our bio species may never get any closer.
True, but the paper did specifically make references to a civilization. Even if one accepts that stars are "alive" it would be difficult to argue that there is any form of civilization involved.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I hate that when that happens.
Yeah, me too. On the related note, I'd love to take a ride at 6,595,434 km/s, provided a decent protection against piercing tachyons. 70 days of the wild ride and I land on Proxima Centauri.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:38 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
To add to the conversation, I would imagine the temperature inside a black hole to be immense considering the amount of matter and gravity compressing it all together, similar to stars and how they compress various elements into a white-hot mass.

Assuming anything could survive the tidal forces, living organisms would also have to contend with temperatures many orders of magnitude greater than stars.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
To add to the conversation, I would imagine the temperature inside a black hole to be immense .
To the contrary, the temp is reverse proportional to the size of the hole. Bigger holes - colder. All the way down to -273C = 0K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space