U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 07:22 PM

13,760 posts, read 9,273,523 times

Advertisements

Stephen Hawking Warns Against Search for Advanced ET Life --"I am More Convinced Than Ever That We are Not Alone" (VIDEO) - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel

"As I grow older I am more convinced than ever that we are not alone. After a lifetime of wondering, I am helping to lead a new global effort to find out," Hawking says in the film while exploring Gliese 832c, a planet that lies 16 light-years away and could possibly harbor advanced alien life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 08:03 PM

1,590 posts, read 2,027,467 times
The Daily Galaxy article states the following:

"Hawking's warning is rooted in the idea that an alien civilization, especially one orbiting an ancient, dim red dwarf star that can pick up our signals and understand where they're coming from, has the potential to be billions of years more advanced than us, making us an easy target to overthrow or invade."

If they where indeed advanced to this degree, wouldn't they already know we were here? They would likely have the universe mapped and wired up to, and way past us already, and have a GPS device that could handle it all.

Could we ask Stephen if there is any possibility of getting in touch with them by tomorrow morning U.S. time? I am STILL not sure who to vote for, tomorrow being election day, and am hoping they can run a last minute 3rd party candidate...

Old 11-08-2016, 10:40 AM

13,760 posts, read 9,273,523 times
I still believe that we have been visited by other intelligent life. We are being watched, we just don't have the capability to communicate with those far more advance than we are. Stephen Hawkins is only worried about those intelligent species that are not so nice and have technology similar to Star Wars movie where they can harness the energy from a star. That is what the article says about the star system that is showing strange dimming. Like something is periodically absorbing the energy from the star that defies all physics and standard theories.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:10 PM

5,203 posts, read 8,204,697 times
The quote you wrote gave me a bit of a chuckle. "As I grow older I am more convinced than ever that we are not alone... " Well, yeah, maybe his view is because he IS getting older, much older.

He still has a very brilliant mind, and the video was both interesting and well made.

While Gliese 832c might have the potential to support life because its in the zone from its star that liquid water could exist, it's still very much unknown and currently little more a part of our speculation. We have no idea. If it is located at the "edges" of the habitable zone, it could be too hot, or too cold. I think if it has no sizable moon orbiting the planet, it could be tidally locked with one size always facing its sun. It could also be bombarded by intense radiation. But again, we don't currently know. Even though the planet is estimated to be perhaps 5 times the mass of the Earth, it's too far and too small to visually observe it. Maybe the James Web space telescope and next generations of earth-based telescope technology, we'll have a chance to see it, although probably still quite small, enough to determine what kind of atmosphere it has.

While Hawking suggested that it might be possible Gliese 832c might harbor life, he also pointed out other possibilities that would make life on the planet less likely. It may be that if there is any life on the planet, it might be little more than microbial. That'd certainly be interesting, but not quite like the intelligent life he speculated about. The video is a blend of science, philosophy and speculation.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:57 PM

92 posts, read 60,627 times
S. Hawking was telling to us we should stay away from aliens and he thinks we shouldn't communicate with aliens until we got enough technology. I agree with him also there is an article about why we shouldn't communicate with aliens:

Finding Aliens

Old 02-10-2017, 11:58 AM

4,255 posts, read 8,011,985 times
We haven't made contact yet because aliens reside in the realm of dark matter. Yes, I just made that up.

Even though I am in the rare earth camp, I concede that life potentially exists elsewhere. Microbial life for sure. Intelligent life (all animals), I think, is rare. Rarer still are technological species like humans.

You don't have to be a scientist to make simple observations. Fifty years ago, if you had made a prediction that other suns must have planets orbiting them because you observed that our sun has planets orbiting it, you would be right today. Scientists have indirectly found evidence of thousands of exoplanets in the galaxy, so far.

We can further deduce that since our solar system has one planet that supports life, there must be other planets in galaxy that can support life as well. Since stars and solar systems form the same way, another solar system containing an earth-like planet is not an impossibility. Also, the sheer numbers of suns and planets that are out there increase the odds of finding such a planet.

But just how common is technologically intelligent life? I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space